Dusty or Royce? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dusty or Royce?

vernissage

Tiger Matchwinner
May 28, 2005
The conversation has to begin. Not only the best No. 4. Who's better? You probably have to be over 55 to meaningfully discuss. But Dusty is being compared alongside Leigh Matthews and Gary Snr as GOAT. I don't rate Carey, because Royce was better: the greatest CHF. Dusty has now serious claims. Not only is he the best player of his generation, but is he the best player of the televised era?

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Too hard, I want both . . . oh, wait a minute, I'm a Richmond supporter, I can have both :cool:

DS

Reactions: 3 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Dusty is still not the best player to wear number 4 for Richmond. But the gap is closing fast. I reckon one more flag will do it. And another Normie.

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Seen them both play .. Showing my age .. both amazing .. Royce was a match winner constantly .. Think I would go with Royce just , but ask again when Dusty's career is over

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
I don't go back as far as Royce, but I'd like our elders to consider Dusty's selflessness in their judgement. Hitting up Marlion in the GF when a Normie was in the offing showed me he understands the bigger picture better than most of the gifted few. And I still believe his goal square gift to Butters in round one 2017 set the tone for the year. This state of mind is powerful IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I remember a bit of Royce (returned to Melbourne in 1974 as a kid) and have also watched old games. The thing about Royce Hart was that he was doing things then that you expect of players today, but back then weren't so common. The thing that always gets me is the way he would go for a mark, if he didn't get it he was a pretty damned good ground ball player too - not so common back in the 1970s.

Dusty has certain attributes that make him stand out. The way he reads the ball, the way he can get through traffic without necessarily needing to avoid the traffic. That core strength is phenomenal.

Both have that something extra, even beyond most great players, which is why it is so hard to pick between them.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Good post there.

Seen Royce play towards the end whose career was cut short due to knee injuries.

Royce is in front for the time being for mine.

Dusty catching catching up with a bullet, so judgement will need to be made once Dusty's career is over.

We have been blessed with generational players at Richmond and Dusty is another one who still some in the media dont rate highly enough.

No 1 player.
No 1 unselfish player in the AFL.

The" waddler" and "chopstick" assassin made good.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
How Castagnafield isn’t in the conversation is a worry

Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Different players. Different eras.

Royce was a God. Dusty getting close to that status.

Win another premiership and he's there too. He's in ripping nick. I've got a feeling that another Charlie is in play this year.

Love 'em both.

Reactions: 1 user

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
The only reason why i wear No 4
Royce The Greatest
Dusty getting there racing up the charts

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I only saw the end of Royce. My Dad rated only Stewart ahead of him as a player. He saw Royce in a praccy match when he first came across and went home knowing we had something special. For me now it’s Dusty. My Dad, unfortunately, never got to see Dusty, but I reckon he would have loved him. Wish I could ask him this question.

Reactions: 9 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Different players. Different eras.

Royce was a God. Dusty getting close to that status.

Win another premiership and he's there too. He's in ripping nick. I've got a feeling that another Charlie is in play this year.

Love 'em both.

Agree with this - and hoping it happens too.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
We Royce over in exchange for some long sleeve shirts
Dusty just got the sleeve tatts.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Royce was unselfish too. Would constantly put others into space.

Royce for me so far.

Dusty although he's closing IMO he has a little way to go to get Royce.

Royce was the backbone of a dominant era, he really was something else!

Reactions: 5 users

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Impossible for me as Royce was / is the reason I follow Richmond and have always worn #4. I think the number is the most sacred of Tiger numbers and very lucky to have seen Royce, Geoff Raines & now Dusty in full flight. When I see 100,000 Richmond members I will always think that its the house that Royce built.

Reactions: 2 users

SCAJMW

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2008
Royce, favourite of all time. Never will forget the 73 Prelim against the Pies , six goals down at half time, Royce came on dragging one leg, inspired the team for one of the greatest wins of all time. However Dusty is right up there as well!

Reactions: 4 users