Dusty or Royce? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dusty or Royce?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
his listed on AFL Tables as 66kg!!!

I suppose thats why they called him skinny?
Pretty sure he was only about 160 cm as well. The bloke was seriously small by comparison to modern players.
Played just under 300 games, something like 140 games on the trot n it was Jimmy Stynes who knocked of his record for most consecutive games. Kicked about 900 odd goals as well. All in an era when medical care n rehab were pretty much a wet towel with a few ice cubes n players belted the crap out of opposition to test them out.
Oops, 175 cm, old fart thought it was 1.75 yards tall n converted when it was already metric. Stupid *smile* alzheimers.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
202 games on the trot. Held the record until Stynes broke it.

While we're on Jack Titus, there is a bit of an interview with him on WOS here:

Also a bit of research reveals some obscurities about his death.
Wikipedia just says this:
"He died in 1978 after intervening in an altercation at his pub the Limerick Castle in North Melbourne."
Seems not to be clear about how much the altercation was related to his death, but it's the sort of thing that would be huge news today if a 70-year-old former VFL/AFL player died in that manner.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
In terms of number 4s there is Royce and Dusty but there was also a pretty handy type in Geoff Raines as well wearing that number. Not quite in that company but not far off !!

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
175/66. WTF?

was he a true FF? What was his trick? jump on the fullback and hit him with a whip?

That was regarded as The average height and weight for men back then.
Not many guys got over 6,2” back then

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Wondering if 4 at Richmond is the most celebrated number at any team? Maybe Hawthorn 23 would go close (Peck/Scott/Brereton/Franklin).

Pretty sure number 4 is the only number to have featured in every one of our Grand Finals. Or something like that.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
If Dusty gets us home for the Triple its put down your glasses. Got him behind Royce and KB only atm. And it's all been in glorious 1080p.

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Royce had of taken 1976 off to get over his injuries. We weren't a realistic chance for the GF if I remember correctly. He might of made it through to 80's?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Royce had of taken 1976 off to get over his injuries. We weren't a realistic chance for the GF if I remember correctly. He might of made it through to 80's?

Fair point, I remember we didn't make the finals that year (hope my memory is correct) and that might have made a difference.

DS

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Along the lines of the heading, how about the best number 3 , Flea an Prestia best two I’ve seen , though Kellaway is one of my all time faves , no doubt the older generation will put a case forward for Dean

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Along the lines of the heading, how about the best number 3 , Flea an Prestia best two I’ve seen , though Kellaway is one of my all time faves , no doubt the older generation will put a case forward for Dean

Flea for me. About the only decent player we had in the ugly days. He was too good for us as evidenced by his near BOG performances every time he wore the Big V. Short little man but hard as nails

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Flea is the best #3 I've seen, Dean was also great, Prestia is on the way up.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Yep, Roger by far, Stu'y would agree :)

• Haha