Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The thing about Grimes falling after being run into by the Brisbane player is that the Brisbane player is the idiot here: your team has a free kick, in range of goal, and you jeapordise it like that? Surely anyone who has an IQ bigger than their shoe size would know not to do something that stupid.

The dive by Dangerfield was so bad it deserved more than a fine. The 50m penalty after the umpire called a free but did not indicate to whom it was going should have meant that umpire was not getting a gig the following week . . . what a farce.

Mmm, premiership pinot, sounds good to me.

DS

If we fart on the ground they will go after us.
The shittstorm after Rance dived against Essendon was bigger then the night Barry Hall punched McGuire in the guts and still didnt miss a GF.
Anything we do which isn't in their eyes fair, they will slam us.
Dangerfield wouldve got a yellow card for simulation in soccer. No one touches him but he flips foward like someone drove him forward.
The cotchin hit on Sheild was nothing more then 2 players going for the ball. If it was penderbury or Heppell there wouldve been no story.
Lets keep on bringing in the flags and they can stick it up their asses.

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The thing about Grimes falling after being run into by the Brisbane player is that the Brisbane player is the idiot here: your team has a free kick, in range of goal, and you jeapordise it like that? Surely anyone who has an IQ bigger than their shoe size would know not to do something that stupid.

The dive by Dangerfield was so bad it deserved more than a fine. The 50m penalty after the umpire called a free but did not indicate to whom it was going should have meant that umpire was not getting a gig the following week . . . what a farce.

Mmm, premiership pinot, sounds good to me.

DS

The old fart didn't help the situation
When he spent the entire press conference whinging about how Grimes played on Cameron.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I fear paranoia is setting in here, comparing the Grimes and Dangerfield incidents is beyond ridiculous.

At the end of the day Grimes did a smart but unethical thing to get an advantage in the heat of the moment.

He copped his fair whack, would have been embarrassed and then moved on, as did the rest of the footy world. I didn't see him referred to as 'Richmond Premiership star and Qualifying final stager, Dylan Grimes' in any reports after the game. In fact, the only place I've heard it mentioned since is right here.

Time to let it go.

Yep. I'm sure Dylan doesn't give it a moment's thought. Too busy celebrating flags and growing grapes.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The cotchin hit on Sheild was nothing more then 2 players going for the ball. If it was penderbury or Heppell there wouldve been no story.
Not a chance in hell seagull Heppell ever goes in for a ball like that. He'd be rummaging around the outskirts, looking for the stray chip to come flying out unattended.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The thing that really pissed me off with the media was the witch hunt on Cotchin post the 17 Prelim.

As a kid, you are constantly taught to not lead with your head.

He goes after the ball hard and low (taking possession) but protecting himself by not going in head first. Bear in mind he went as low as physically possible.

Shiel goes in head first and get's concussion. Did the media expect Cotchin to go head first as well, and what exactly would have that resulted in but 2 players being carried off motionless!

FFS don't reward players that contribute to their own misfortune. Then we will see less head contact.

Reactions: 2 users

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
I fear paranoia is setting in here, comparing the Grimes and Dangerfield incidents is beyond ridiculous.

At the end of the day Grimes did a smart but unethical thing to get an advantage in the heat of the moment.

He copped his fair whack, would have been embarrassed and then moved on, as did the rest of the footy world. I didn't see him referred to as 'Richmond Premiership star and Qualifying final stager, Dylan Grimes' in any reports after the game. In fact, the only place I've heard it mentioned since is right here.

Time to let it go.

The media carried on about it all week. It also came off the back of Fagan whinging about grime's tactics after the previous game.
It was just frustrating given how good his year was that people were trying to pull him back a peg, particularly when other players get away with the same sort of thing.
Its a Tiger forum, people are going to vent and show bias. They don't have to let go if they don't want. Maybe in future if you see a post that looks like its heading towards this topic, stop and think about the premiership players getting life membership and go vent about that.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
i love grimesy, but generally don't like players staging, or exaggerating contact. I hope he takes it out of his game

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I posted the original comment only for the reason I had just watched the replay of the game and had a different slant on it when seeing it again. It was made such a big deal during the finals it’s worthwhile commenting on.
Cameron is a terrific player and was in a rich vein of form at that time, arguably he was the form forward in the game then . 2 weeks in a row Grimes beat him.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, Grimes applied a fair bit of Mayo in that incident, and he copped a bit of crap for it.

Dangerfield didn't apply Mayo, he milked the cow and brought his own home made Mayo to the game, using it just before half time. He was barely bumped and went down like Ali had just hit him with a haymaker. And, he copped a bit of crap for it . . . oh, wait a minute, he copped no crap at all from the media, there were no comments at all.

You see this is what causes mild irritation (I was going to say gives me the s***s but I really don't give a stuff except for the gross inconsistency of the reporting of the 2 incidents which were only 2 weeks apart, anyway there's a cure for mild irritation: :cupgold ).

It is precisely because Grimes, Rance et al cop s**t for these things while others get away with serial diving that is the reason this still gets talked about on a Richmond forum. I don't really care if this is intentional bias or not, it certainly has the appearance of bias and would not be an issue at all had we heard the commentators give Dangerfield the same treatment after his performance.

DS

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I think the incident has either morphed into more in your mind as the time has passed or you're opinion is being influenced by the fact that Dangerfield is an unlikeable, smug, wanker.

You can see it here at the 2:25 mark:

Dangerfield is on a hard lead and Vlastuin has perfect position for a body spoil.

Vlastuin does what every good defender does and launches his weight into the forward to force him under the ball. It's the most practiced and most effective defensive technique in a marking contest, but lives right on the edge of a free kick for tunnelling.

So Dangerfield does what every forward is taught to do when they are beaten by the defender's position, collapse forward and hope to get a free. If you went through Jack Riewoldt's tapes you would find 3 of those a game.

It's definitely a technical form of staging, but it is more closely related to throwing your head back when you feel contact on your shoulder in a tackle than anything like what Grimes did.

Incidentally, if you watch the footage you'll see that Houli, not knowing Vlastuin is plus 1 and that Dangerfield has him beat and will leap over him, actually accentuates the contact more and adds much more mayo. ;)
This post needs to be on a Geelol fanboi's forum, not a Tigers one.

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yep, Grimes applied a fair bit of Mayo in that incident, and he copped a bit of crap for it.

Dangerfield didn't apply Mayo, he milked the cow and brought his own home made Mayo to the game, using it just before half time. He was barely bumped and went down like Ali had just hit him with a haymaker. And, he copped a bit of crap for it . . . oh, wait a minute, he copped no crap at all from the media, there were no comments at all.

You see this is what causes mild irritation (I was going to say gives me the s***s but I really don't give a stuff except for the gross inconsistency of the reporting of the 2 incidents which were only 2 weeks apart, anyway there's a cure for mild irritation: :cupgold ).

It is precisely because Grimes, Rance et al cop s**t for these things while others get away with serial diving that is the reason this still gets talked about on a Richmond forum. I don't really care if this is intentional bias or not, it certainly has the appearance of bias and would not be an issue at all had we heard the commentators give Dangerfield the same treatment after his performance.

DS
Copped no crap, but disappeared after half time.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think the incident has either morphed into more in your mind as the time has passed or you're opinion is being influenced by the fact that Dangerfield is an unlikeable, smug, wanker.

You can see it here at the 2:25 mark:

Dangerfield is on a hard lead and Vlastuin has perfect position for a body spoil.

Vlastuin does what every good defender does and launches his weight into the forward to force him under the ball. It's the most practiced and most effective defensive technique in a marking contest, but lives right on the edge of a free kick for tunnelling.

So Dangerfield does what every forward is taught to do when they are beaten by the defender's position, collapse forward and hope to get a free. If you went through Jack Riewoldt's tapes you would find 3 of those a game.

It's definitely a technical form of staging, but it is more closely related to throwing your head back when you feel contact on your shoulder in a tackle than anything like what Grimes did.

Incidentally, if you watch the footage you'll see that Houli, not knowing Vlastuin is plus 1 and that Dangerfield has him beat and will leap over him, actually accentuates the contact more and adds much more mayo. ;)

I know plenty of players accentuate contact, but to be a push in the back, you have to be pushed in the back. Simple really.

The 50m penalty was truly ridiculous.

Given the crap that Grimes and Rance copped, where was the response to Dangerfield's actions? This is especially so given the impact of a guaranteed goal just before half time.

At least the commentators gave Gryan, or whatever his bogan name is, some crap for falling over after he initiated contact with Houli and there was a nice delay before the fall.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Grimes has always put a bit of mayo on contact to get the free, but the whining about it this year reached new heights. When he got one because Hipwood was stupid, the reactions could have had you thinking he took a 2 x 4 onto the ground and whacked Hipwood with it.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Grimes has always put a bit of mayo on contact to get the free, but the whining about it this year reached new heights. When he got one because Hipwood was stupid, the reactions could have had you thinking he took a 2 x 4 4B2 onto the ground and whacked Hipwood with it.
Hope ya don't mind. .. had to Astrayanise it;)

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
I enjoyed it when Foxfooty showed Grimes the staging incident immediately after the game. His ""Oh Dear" was both very genuine and classic. What you do in the heat of the moment is what it is (ask Andrew Gaff or even Bachar Houli). The incident didn't stop Grimes winning the AFL bravery award - so life, move on. It cost him, and it cost Brisbane a goal. If you are going to cop a fine and criticism you might as well have got something for it.