Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

Crumpet_Avenger

Tiger Rookie
Feb 9, 2010
melb
glad he got the cvall up instead of will. i thought will was gunna be a star the time he had riewoldt goaless then unfortunately did his knee, however he hasnt come on. these days punching a ball away isnt enough. he is a good vfl footballer, nothing more. wont be at the tiges next year. This is why Grimes will be played and I think he will play well enough to make it hard for Rancey to get back in. I want Rance in too but competition for places makes the footy better down at tigerland.

Go Grimesy!

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Giardiasis said:
Must admit I haven't seen enough of Grimey to make a call, but there is certainly a lot of love for the kid. What are his special attributes that have people excited?

Pace & reading the play Giar.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I'm a fan of Grimes like a many around here but can't understand why he slipped so far in the draft. 193cm backmen with pace and decent skills are not growing on trees.

Can anyone shed light on this?

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
TigerFurious said:
I'm a fan of Grimes like a few around but here are but can't understand why he slipped so far in the draft.  193cm backmen with pace and decent skills are not growing on trees.

Can anyone shed light on this?

My recollection is hazy but I recall that he missed a significant part of his U18 season due to injury.

It gets a bit hazy after a while.

I recall clearly that his older brother suffered, and for that matter still does, badly with a bad back, but the younger one I have trouble recollecting.

Of course the older brother came from that set of Northern Knight midfielders - Grimes, Cotchin, Meredith & Veszpremi - none of which could run out a full game of footy. The younger brother, of course, was a year or two below them and was a different type - tall defender - anyway.

It'll probably come back to me at 3am in the middle of my sleep.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Now I remember. I was mixing up the younger Grimes a bit with the older one.

The younger one was fairly injury free but he was a very dour defender. He didn't pick up that many possessions. Although I remember that his possie rates did improve over his 3 years of TAC.

So, it was a perceived lack of being able to get the pill that saw Grimes the younger fall way back in the draft stakes.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Phantom said:
Now I remember. I was mixing up the younger Grimes a bit with the older one.

The younger one was fairly injury free but he was a very dour defender. He didn't pick up that many possessions. Although I remember that his possie rates did improve over his 3 years of TAC.

So, it was a perceived lack of being able to get the pill that saw Grimes the younger fall way back in the draft stakes.

interesting that...as far as touches go, he was in the bottom 3 last weekend for Coburg with Miller and browne .
He must move well.

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005
In the pre-draft Inside Footy for 2009 his U-18s coach at the Knights mentioned that he had a lack of body strength to play as a key back.

Frankly this worries me playing against Buddy, Roughead and Hale.

On the plus side he is quick and disciplined

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
The thing I like about his is that he is a natural footballer - takes the right option to put the team to significant advantage.

We haven't had someone like that for a long time - maybe Weightman. Obviously a different type of footballer to Weightman, but like Flea, he is a smart footballer.

shamekha

Tiger Superstar
Mar 7, 2008
The thing i have noticed about this kid watching him at training is his determination and perserverence. The kid wants to make it and really gets pissed off when he does something wrong. Very dedicated.

A side note:.... i was watching a training drill one afternoon at Gosch's paddock and he played on Lade. Was really funny because Lade was teaching him a few things about body work and using his strength. Lade at one stage out pointed him completely with body work and probably took one of the marks of his career. There was calls from the rest of the coaching staff to make sure they edit that piece of footage out of the tape.

RUNVS

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2008
Good Luck, But i am afraid he will get scared. Buddy and/or Roughy are going to have a day out on sat night. I hope I am wrong.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Lets just hope our mids dominate the game and give Grimey Grub, Assa and the rest of our backline a decent chop out against the Dawks.