Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Houli is a very good player but his strength is not defending but his ability to rebound and run and carry.
I think the thing that can be missed about Bachar as a defender is that he gets so much of the ball. He actually improved his season match average from 21 x Ds in 2018 (when we finished clear top of the ladder) to 28 in 2019. Just remarkable; amazing for a supposedly ageing player!

So the thing is ... when he has the ball, his opponent(s) DOESN"T. And he has/gets the ball a hell of a lot. There's no better defence.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Disagree. If you're playing loose man it's harder to get to contests to spoil and lay tackles. Do you think Jack Graham gets his tackles by playing loose? No he's on a player ready to pounce. I still find it mildly amusing that some still argue that Houli is not a good defender. Simply at AFL level in the side that has the best defense in the league you simply wouldn't get to play in the backline if you aren't a good defender. Some of Houli's defensive work in the grand final was sublime.

Agree on the GF efforts (x 2 in fact). Bachar's defensive ability has improved out of sight over the last few years. He's not a Grimes type, but doesn't need to be. He is there to be an attacking option as much of a defender and he does that balanced role as good as anyone in the comp (hence the AA)

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Gee Bellis is hanging around like a bad smell. Surely he needs to start thinking about moving up to the GC.

It's like he doesn't want to leave but will ultimately face the inevitable

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
He is there to be an attacking option as much of a defender and he does that balanced role as good as anyone in the comp (hence the AA)

That's exactly right. It's all about the balance of your backline makeup and the individual's ability to attack and defend. If you wanted pure defenders who just predominantly mark their man then no you wouldn't choose Houli but then good luck getting the ball out of your offence and into attacking positions.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Who did Houli play on in the GF?

If you are lose man it is easy to spoil and lay tackles.

I don’t think the traditional loose man role exists in our team.

We do like to drop an extra back, but the way we set up means that the opposition largely determine who is loose.

To say that role is played mostly by Houli is not correct IMO. Who did Floss play on in the GF, who did Broad, Baker or Short take? At various times Toby Greene had as his direct opponent Houli, Broad, Baker and Floss. Grimes and Astbury usually have direct opponents, but the other guys don’t all that often.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Some pics of the smiling assassin & one of my favourite players Grimes who got married yesterday.
Most of the boys attended, even Ellis.
Pity Dusty wasn’t there! Still with the Tattooed one?

What is it we Ellis? Guy is still sticking around.
Move on man, you left.

• Haha

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Gee Bellis is hanging around like a bad smell. Surely he needs to start thinking about moving up to the GC.

It's like he doesn't want to leave but will ultimately face the inevitable
That’s a bit poor.

He’s attending a mate’s wedding!

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Who did Houli play on in the GF?

If you are lose man it is easy to spoil and lay tackles.

In the Brisbane game round 23 Houli had an ordinary game as for once he had to play on a player. (no free stats via the kickout duties)

Do we really still have a Houli doubter? Really?

Reactions: 4 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Really? He had 30 disposals (27 efficient) and 548 metres gained in Round 23. The kickout thing is a total furphy. I showed plenty of times this year that Houli's number of kick outs was nowhere near what some were making them out to be. Kickouts were actually spread a round quite a bit.
You are correct TL I should have stated the first final that we played against Brisbane not the last home and away.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Well done Grimo and now Mrs Grimo. Congrats on the wedding and all that.......now get in bed and start producing some male Grimos..... :))

1572835252359.png

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
As long as Grimey spends it in bed/(or wherever floats his and Elisha's boat) creating a kid, then OK.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Ellis made his way into the bed as well.
Guy seems to be everywhere atm.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
As long as Grimey spends it in bed/(or wherever floats his and Elisha's boat) creating a kid, then OK.
After-thought. Yer, hoping Cotch has finally ... er .. broken the drought on the dearth of boys. Need lots of Tiger sons from this crew of champs. And girls! For AFLW too.
But just seemed quite unbalanced until maybe Grigga and Cotch. (Hampson narrowly missed making it to 100 games!)

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
After-thought. Yer, hoping Cotch has finally ... er .. broken the drought on the dearth of boys. Need lots of Tiger sons from this crew of champs. And girls! For AFLW too.
But just seemed quite unbalanced until maybe Grigga and Cotch. (Hampson narrowly missed making it to 100 games!)
Remembering of course you have to play 100 games for the ONE club to qualify father/son/daughter. Hampy only play 35 for Richmond.