Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Overthinking is still dissecting the Grimes incident and media reaction two months after we won the flag
Nah. Overthinking is trying to find ways to rationalise n justify opposition players doing similar *smile* n then condemning Tiger fans for being pissed off that certain protected species don't cop the same treatment as our players.
Personally, I'm more than happy to sit back n bask in the glow of another Tiger premiership. It's a long time until footy starts again, so until then just mooching around n enjoying a bit of banter n niggle while counting down the days.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
These coaches are now hanging those heads in shame.
Kudos to Francis Jackson on believing this kid/bloke can play.
Go Grimo!!!
1576413389896.png

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
These coaches are now hanging those heads in shame.
Kudos to Francis Jackson on believing this kid/bloke can play.
Go Grimo!!!
View attachment 9397
Interesting quotes about the level of resources we had back in FJ’s era as head recruiter compared to others. Time to give the recruiters of the past a break imo.
They did the best they could at the time with little or no resource.
We are good now but we are as well resourced as anyone

Reactions: 2 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Thanks TF.... Any kind tiger out there who might be able to break into the poor old Murdochs and cut and paste this text.....?
hERE YA GO

The recruiter who gave Grimes the chance to shine

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
16 December 2019

The email lobbed in the Herald Sun inbox from Dylan Grimes’ mother Cathy only days after this year’s premiership triumph.

Why doesn’t Richmond recruiter Francis Jackson get any love for building this premiership side, she asked?

Francis was this week feted with Richmond life membership as the recruiting boss who secured 16 players in the 2017 premiership side and trio more in this year’s bunch of flag heroes.

And yet as Grimes’ mum Cathy Coonan says, the criticism came thick and fast when Jackson called out names like Richard Tambling instead of luminaries including Lance Franklin.

Incredibly, Richmond was so cash-poor in Jackson’s early years that he was a part-time recruiter whose main job was working as a teacher at Brighton Grammar.

Yet when rivals ignored Grimes, Francis and then-coach Terry Wallace saw enough in the spindly defender to invite him down to the Tigers.

This year Grimes was football’s most improved player, a supposed dour stopper who became a backline supremo.

Richmond was once the club where high draft picks came to die, and yet alongside Jackson receiving life membership was one-game premiership star Marlion Pickett.

Footy’s laughing stock now leads the charge when it comes to inventive and bold recruiting.

“Terry Wallace’s son played with Dylan at the Northern Knights and when he missed out Terry and Francis invited him down,” Noonan recalled yesterday when the Herald Sun finally called her about that email.

“He had been told Hawthorn would take him in the early 40s and instead they called out G.R.I.M … but it was Grimley instead of Grimes. It was (Northern Knights teammate) Sam. Melbourne said they would take him as their last pick and they chose not to do that.

“He was absolutely gutted to the point where he basically took off. I didn’t hear from him for days.

“He would leave home before we all got up and come home after we went to bed.

“That was on the Thursday. He finally acknowledged my text on the Sunday morning. I had said it wouldn’t define him and that I loved him and he said, “Thank you mum,” which made me cry.

“It was an awful time when he didn’t get in but through Francis and Terry he did the training and they took him in the pre-season draft.”

In those early 2000s footy was still an arms race and yet Richmond were paupers.

“Richmond pretty much flew him where they could but they couldn’t afford accommodation for him or for him to hire a car so he did a lot of it out of his pocket,” she said.

According to recent one comparison of those years, Collingwood’s recruiting budget was 15 times larger and yet Jackson found players like Shane Edwards (pick 26) as well as their array of current stars.

Jackson is now a recruiting officer as part of a team led by the recently promoted Blair Hartley with a list that includes Alex Rance (pick 18), Jack Riewoldt (pick 13) and the previously unwanted Sydney Stack and Kane Lambert.

Richmond’s only top-10 pick in the last nine national drafts has been Nick Vlastuin (pick nine).

And while every recruiter has busts the misfires like Reece Conca (No. 6) and Ben Lennon (No. 12) have been overwhelmed by the weight of value picks.

Coonan watched on this year and watched a son typecast as dour blossomed on-field and lauded for his leadership and work-life balance as he builds a Macedon winery with partner Elisha, who he married last month.

“Some coaches had told him horrible things, that he was useless. And to see him rise up and take on those challenged and become such a strong player in the league … well he won the league’s most courageous player award. That’s a pretty special moment.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/3bb85f58af0edc8789ec35ffa77c44e2

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
hERE YA GO

The recruiter who gave Grimes the chance to shine

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
16 December 2019

The email lobbed in the Herald Sun inbox from Dylan Grimes’ mother Cathy only days after this year’s premiership triumph.

Why doesn’t Richmond recruiter Francis Jackson get any love for building this premiership side, she asked?

Francis was this week feted with Richmond life membership as the recruiting boss who secured 16 players in the 2017 premiership side and trio more in this year’s bunch of flag heroes.

And yet as Grimes’ mum Cathy Coonan says, the criticism came thick and fast when Jackson called out names like Richard Tambling instead of luminaries including Lance Franklin.

Incredibly, Richmond was so cash-poor in Jackson’s early years that he was a part-time recruiter whose main job was working as a teacher at Brighton Grammar.

Yet when rivals ignored Grimes, Francis and then-coach Terry Wallace saw enough in the spindly defender to invite him down to the Tigers.

This year Grimes was football’s most improved player, a supposed dour stopper who became a backline supremo.

Richmond was once the club where high draft picks came to die, and yet alongside Jackson receiving life membership was one-game premiership star Marlion Pickett.

Footy’s laughing stock now leads the charge when it comes to inventive and bold recruiting.

“Terry Wallace’s son played with Dylan at the Northern Knights and when he missed out Terry and Francis invited him down,” Noonan recalled yesterday when the Herald Sun finally called her about that email.

“He had been told Hawthorn would take him in the early 40s and instead they called out G.R.I.M … but it was Grimley instead of Grimes. It was (Northern Knights teammate) Sam. Melbourne said they would take him as their last pick and they chose not to do that.

“He was absolutely gutted to the point where he basically took off. I didn’t hear from him for days.

“That was on the Thursday. He finally acknowledged my text on the Sunday morning. I had said it wouldn’t define him and that I loved him and he said, “Thank you mum,” which made me cry.

“It was an awful time when he didn’t get in but through Francis and Terry he did the training and they took him in the pre-season draft.”

In those early 2000s footy was still an arms race and yet Richmond were paupers.

“Richmond pretty much flew him where they could but they couldn’t afford accommodation for him or for him to hire a car so he did a lot of it out of his pocket,” she said.

According to recent one comparison of those years, Collingwood’s recruiting budget was 15 times larger and yet Jackson found players like Shane Edwards (pick 26) as well as their array of current stars.

Jackson is now a recruiting officer as part of a team led by the recently promoted Blair Hartley with a list that includes Alex Rance (pick 18), Jack Riewoldt (pick 13) and the previously unwanted Sydney Stack and Kane Lambert.

Richmond’s only top-10 pick in the last nine national drafts has been Nick Vlastuin (pick nine).

And while every recruiter has busts the misfires like Reece Conca (No. 6) and Ben Lennon (No. 12) have been overwhelmed by the weight of value picks.

Coonan watched on this year and watched a son typecast as dour blossomed on-field and lauded for his leadership and work-life balance as he builds a Macedon winery with partner Elisha, who he married last month.

“Some coaches had told him horrible things, that he was useless. And to see him rise up and take on those challenged and become such a strong player in the league … well he won the league’s most courageous player award. That’s a pretty special moment.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/3bb85f58af0edc8789ec35ffa77c44e2

Much appreciated Tazzie.... the poor Beverley Hillbilly Murdochs are gonna be chasing us!

Reactions: 1 user

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
C'mon Ralphy, Grimes wasn't our most improved this year, he has been a star a lot longer than that.

Reactions: 2 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
In fairness, a lot of us could see he could play.... equally we thought his hamstrings would end his career before it started...

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Would have lived under his brother shadow growing up playing football.

How things change

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
All being said we didn't take him in the ND either. We selected Nason & Webberly in front of him. We passed with Pick 78.

And who is to say another club was not going to take him in the pre-season draft or in the rookie draft?

Kudos that we took him, he's displayed his talent from day 1

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Of recent years very few have been picked in the PSD. But from 2007 to 2010 there were a coupe of goodies besides Grimes. Stefan Martin has played 182 games. Bellchambers 129. Rockcliffe 190. Michael Hibberd 142.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

These passages say it all here, about the lad, humble, solid, dependable and heart and soul.

The kid got his chance thankfully at the RFC at the right time with the right people Ivan Maric, Jack, Cotch, Dave, and Tross which allowed Grimsey to fulfill his potential.

Love him, he's a bloody ripper, and as critical in our side as anyone else, and now he's a leader helping guys like Tigga and Broady to improve.

Reactions: 4 users

Eddie Bax

Tiger Cub
Aug 31, 2014
Nashville, TN
This year Grimes was football’s most improved player

This type of line keeps being trotted out by the fudbal meeja and I hate it. Yeah, Grimes stepped up another level in the absence of Rance, but to make out like he was just a plodder before shows how criminally ignored he was before.

Reactions: 5 users