Dynasty or Rebuild ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dynasty or Rebuild ?

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
I reckon it is RCD. I have heard a number of Richmond people talk glowingly about him over the last month or two.

I can't remember which one it was ( Clarke or Hartley) but he said RCD was definitely going to play a couple of times this year but just got niggles at the wrong time.

That's pure speculation of course.
Fair chance it was RCD.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Could be any number of kids.
There are a number of our youngsters ( with VFL resuming next year ) pushing for games next year.

You only had to look at the emergencies that were on a weekly basis to see that.

Yeah RCD got injured at the wrong time.

Really exciting times in 21.
Yes that’s right. The one that I really want to come on is Stack. If he could get his head right and get really fit he could be our Shai Bolton in 2021.
Big IF unfortunately

Reactions: 1 user

Letsroar

Tiger Matchwinner
May 19, 2014
Would lick to see CJ Stack and RCD cement spots next year

Stack at his best can be very damaging at either end of the ground
RCD A big bodied midfielder is one thing that would be a good addition
CJ. With Soldo out for the year we need him to step up.

Also when Jack retires and with Dustin then getting a year or two older the logical forward line would be based around Lynch. The resting ruck (think CJ more likely that Chol) and Dustin along with 3 smalls

Reactions: 1 user

fat-fifty-footmad

Tiger Cub
Oct 6, 2017
My amateur look at RFC list management.
First, some assumptions:
1. We have proven system is king and we have a great system.
2. We've won 3 flags in 4 years with less fantasy points, awards votes, or AA players than everyone we've beaten.
3. The key is maintaining the system, not replacing players with 'stars' (except for a few key spots below).
4. Overall out list is surprisingly young and I think we should be thinking can we win another 2-3 flags in the next 4 years.

So my thoughts:
a. Jack Riewoldt and Basher have - perhaps - another year in them.
b. Cotch and Edwards one, maybe two.
c. Dusty and Lynch have at least 2 more great years in him - possibly as many as 4.
d. Everyone else is either a soldier we can replace/develop or key people in the development cycle development right now.
e. Basher's replacement is already at the club - it might be stack, it might be dow, it might be eggy - we have options.
f. Cotch and Edwards replacements are likely already at the club - definitely including Ross and Bolton, could also be RCD but too early to tell.
g. Dusty and Lynch are outside the planning window right now - come back here in 2021/22.

Which leaves us with Jack? Can he still be a force at the back end of 2021? Are we looking at a return to 2017 and a single big target or can we make CCJ a permanent forward?

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
My amateur look at RFC list management.
First, some assumptions:
1. We have proven system is king and we have a great system.
2. We've won 3 flags in 4 years with less fantasy points, awards votes, or AA players than everyone we've beaten.
3. The key is maintaining the system, not replacing players with 'stars' (except for a few key spots below).
4. Overall out list is surprisingly young and I think we should be thinking can we win another 2-3 flags in the next 4 years.

So my thoughts:
a. Jack Riewoldt and Basher have - perhaps - another year in them.
b. Cotch and Edwards one, maybe two.
c. Dusty and Lynch have at least 2 more great years in him - possibly as many as 4.
d. Everyone else is either a soldier we can replace/develop or key people in the development cycle development right now.
e. Basher's replacement is already at the club - it might be stack, it might be dow, it might be eggy - we have options.
f. Cotch and Edwards replacements are likely already at the club - definitely including Ross and Bolton, could also be RCD but too early to tell.
g. Dusty and Lynch are outside the planning window right now - come back here in 2021/22.

Which leaves us with Jack? Can he still be a force at the back end of 2021? Are we looking at a return to 2017 and a single big target or can we make CCJ a permanent forward?
The last two posts reflect my thoughts.
One point not made is that Balta is in effect "surplus to requirements" in defence at the moment.
For the next couple of years you would expect that Grimes and Astbury can hold down the two key defensive spots.
In that case Balta can be used in the ruck and/or as a key forward as he did in the grand final.

fat-fifty-footmad

Tiger Cub
Oct 6, 2017
The last two posts reflect my thoughts.
One point not made is that Balta is in effect "surplus to requirements" in defence at the moment.
For the next couple of years you would expect that Grimes and Astbury can hold down the two key defensive spots.
In that case Balta can be used in the ruck and/or as a key forward as he did in the grand final.
Not sure where Balta is best used. I think he does his best work with the ball in front of him (hate to say this but sort of Rance like) so I suspect the best version of Balta is down back - that makes Astbury a spare. That said I don't like Astbury in the Ruck/defence/interchange rotation. Still perhaps the best bet - a rotation of Astbury/Balta and a mix off the bench with each being rotated in and out of the positions that suit each and depending on the circumstances. It would certainly be a flexible arrangement.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Disappointed we didn’t start the rebuild season 2020. Just play as many kids we can.
Can’t believe we aimed for another premiership

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users