Dynasty or Rebuild ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dynasty or Rebuild ?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Of the rookies Bakes, Marbs & Syd are contracted for next year

Aarts, Dekka & Pickett are not
I thought he was a rookie for some reason, then I checked what you sent me the other day, but forgot he was still contracted, thanks mate

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Good thread Mr Brightsider.
Interesting to hear Lambert's name come up. I've certainly been giving his future some thought. 29 next year. Still a good contributor but with others coming through & looking for opportunity, he's one they'd no doubt be looking closely at beyond this season. Caddy, Pickett & Broad in the same boat. We've got lots of young talent looking for opportunities.

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
I think we need to be bold and try and trade for a top 5 pick. we have that many rookies and young talent that is untested (CCJ, rCD naish egg, Ross, Dow ) to upgrade that our draft picks for next two years are probably not required.

package our first and second round this year and next Year to the hawks,crows or north for a top 5 pick. Throw in Higgins as well And that is a good start to a rebuild and we can hopefully gain an elite talent.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I think we need to be bold and try and trade for a top 5 pick. we have that many rookies and young talent that is untested (CCJ, rCD naish egg, Ross, Dow ) to upgrade that our draft picks for next two years are probably not required.

package our first and second round this year and next Year to the hawks,crows or north for a top 5 pick. Throw in Higgins as well And that is a good start to a rebuild and we can hopefully gain an elite talent.
You would package 4 picks plus give a player to get one top 5 pick?

Yeah nah

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Two more cracks and reset. Not rebuild.
You dont rebuild something that isn't broken
Hope we look at Hawthorn at not what to do.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Do we need a Top 5 pick or do we need a player who's been in the system for 2-4 years? Or with Free Agency, target the players coming into RFA/FA and bring them in that way.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Moving forward we need to stockpile some young KP talent.
Need to keep CCJ. Can’t let a talented young player fall by the wayside without finding out what he’s got at senior level.
I’d be chasing Bailey Williams from WCE. Seems a likely athletic type and behind a few over there.
Chol and Miller far off the pace and Mate will need development time.
A young “A”grade midfielder would be handy but not essential.
Please no to Crouch

100% on no Crouch at Richmond - an awful thought

Reactions: 2 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
I would be open to the freo / pickett rumour.
Love him but there a few knocks on his game.
Funny how the media are speculating constantly over our list like it was a rotting carcass.
Cant see us trading out untried first rounders but some regulars may get the tap this year.

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
I would at this particular time as
  1. Look at our rookie list. They all need to be upgraded onto the senior list
  2. list sizes to be reduced.
  3. who do we delist this year. Rance, Gartwaite,and broad to be traded. opens up 3 spots
  4. Rcd naish Ross stack dow all need opportunity As they have talent. Is pick 18 and 36 in the next two years moving ahead of any these guys
  5. we have shown we can find and develop players from late in the draft.
Trade these mid tier 18 to 40 picks for one elite pick We need the next Martin, Cotchin or Jack Elite talent We have the Back up cast sorted for the next 10 years

Alternatively what about. Higgins, rcd, naish Houli to the bombers for their first pick. 3 very good talents that cannot get a game and the experienced veteran to help their rebuild.

SCAJMW

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2008
Just tried the Cornes over the top statement :))

No matter what happens over the next 3 weeks it’s going to be as crucial off season as there’s been in some time. With list reductions a reported tight salary cap, a bunch of stars over 30 who are all crucial to a flag tilt next season and a ” potentially “ very good bunch of youngsters .

Balmey is going to have make such decisions as do we let Basher go to free up space ?

Do we get a stop gap ruck while Soldo is out ?

Do we let Broad go ?

Do we hit the draft hard to free up space and build for a tilt or do we top up now with good but not stars like Crouch ?

Do we put a player like Lambert or George on the market after not having there best year ?

Do we lock away Balta on a long term deal and let Astbury go ?

Is it worth going after a Toby Greene , A grade type to go full on in 2021 ?

Do we give the Captaincy to another and let the Skip “ concentrate on his footy”

So on an so on , we are in a great time and IMHO the best team going around, however it is a very interesting time.

In Balmey we trust :cupgold
You have to be very careful with "trading out" There is a distinct possibilty that you then lose the culture and connectivity of the group. Some of us remember what happened to the tight knit club when we lost Graham Teasdale, Francis Jackson and Whale Robert's for the John Pitura deal. It took years to recover from that.

Reactions: 4 users

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
Absolutely agree on the culture and retention of players. I would prefer to use the draft picks as they have no emotional attachment

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
You have to be very careful with "trading out" There is a distinct possibilty that you then lose the culture and connectivity of the group. Some of us remember what happened to the tight knit club when we lost Graham Teasdale, Francis Jackson and Whale Robert's for the John Pitura deal. It took years to recover from that.
We did win a flag only a couple of years after the Pitura deal though

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
We have too many A grade players to be looking at a rebuild. Whilst we have Dusty, Prestia, Lynch, JR8, Cotchy etc..we have to keep pushing for top 4’s.
That said, I reckon Hartley will keep refreshing the list enough that we don’t fall off a cliff at the end of this era

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
we have being in a re build since 2017,brought in several top 25 picks,from then we have balta,bolton heading towards a grade with baker more consistent and stack already showing a grade posibility ,many regular 100 -200 gamers who are young,just remember we are vfl premiers as well.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
I feel this year is the last opportunity to win a Premiership before we start a slow decline and a subsequent rebuild.
We are probably just about to cross the line beyond our peak, but I still believe we are the top team.
It’s 3 more wins folks and we bring #13 to Punt Road.