Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Baloo said:
Really ? I'd say that being the first to make a stand, as they did with Goodes last year and apparently against MMM when Jarman said something, shows a fairly strong resolve. Following the leader is easy
:clap

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
IanG said:
She's been no different to Patrick Smith.
i hope i got the context right here iang. does this mean in your eyes that the recent topic makes her the problem? Therefore even though she was not involved in the comments from eddie she was and still is fair game? I dont get it..... why is this her fault? Seriously this journalist did nothing, nothing. Eddie is the *smile* and his 2 cronies. Caroline is his agenda, she isnt hiding, she isn't ducking never has. I say go caroline make this garbage squirm.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
spook said:
The red herring here is that this is about violence towards women. It's really about bullying. McGuire is a bully and his colleagues the mindless cowards who go along for fear he'll turn on them.

Robinson has got this 100% right. He's a buffoon and a Kool Aid drinker when it comes to the Dons, but you have to credit the man, everything he says regarding gender, violence, bullying, homophobia, is right on. He doesn't have much of a brain but I think his heart's in the right place.

Was first out of the blocks on the Goodes issue. Nailed that, too. Away from anything to do with his Dons, he tends to get it right.

B

Bill James

HR said:
Bill you are confusing issues.
I don't think so. Plenty of female reporters who aren't the butt of violent jokes. Wilson was the butt of an (inappropriate) joke because she has a history of playing the person rather than the issue, not because she is a woman. This is like the Adam Goodes booing, he was being booed unfairly but it wasn't because of his heritage.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Bill James said:
I don't think so. Plenty of female reporters who aren't the butt of violent jokes. Wilson was the butt of an (inappropriate) joke because she has a history of playing the person rather than the issue, not because she is a woman. This is like the Adam Goodes booing, he was being booed unfairly but it wasn't because of his heritage.

Back in the "bad old days" when Sinatra referred to the Australian media (but nobody in particular) as "buck and a half hookers", they wouldn't let his plane leave the airport until he apologised. This is magnitudes worse. How far do you let standards slip?

I get that there's another side to this debate, I really do. Feminists want all of the benefits of equality but none of the responsibility, e.g. nobody's demanding equal numbers in the mining industry. But take the feminazis out of it and McGuire's comments were still out of line. The AFL has a clear policy for dealing with it and they've allowed it through to the 'keeper. They are manipulators and con artists.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
If Collingwood sponsors are reconsidering their sponsorship, should the AFL be reconsidering their decision to give Collingwood one of the women's football franchises? I think they should be, but that is probably because of my despising of Collingwood and McGuire.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
HR said:
i hope i got the context right here iang. does this mean in your eyes that the recent topic makes her the problem? Therefore even though she was not involved in the comments from eddie she was and still is fair game? I dont get it..... why is this her fault? Seriously this journalist did nothing, nothing. Eddie is the *smile* and his 2 cronies. Caroline is his agenda, she isnt hiding, she isn't ducking never has. I say go caroline make this garbage squirm.

No, as has been clear from my other comments I'm very much on Caro's side. I was just saying Patrick Smith has been equally confrontational as a journalist and hasn't been treated the same.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
:)
IanG said:
No, as has been clear from my other comments I'm very much on Caro's side. I was just saying Patrick Smith has been equally confrontational as a journalist and hasn't been treated the same.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Bill James said:
fair enough. This is definitely a difference of opinion then. You say she doesn't play the issue because she is focused on playing the person. I see her a dealing with the issue by playing the person, ie james hird, dustin martin for some recent examples. Sure it might make it more personal but does that make it wrong if what she says is right? They might feel its is unfair but i could bet a million on it that if james hird or others you suggest have been played rather than the issues there would be a few legal cases of defamation caroline was invited to. But she is not for some strange reason. I wonder why? She is honest in her opinion and generally pretty much on the mark. She doesn't shoot from the hip like others and must have some pretty good informants. Dont remember her take on goodes but i agree with you that it was not race related in the slightest.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Bill James said:

She is the only woman, even person, who puts in the hard yards on the hard issues. Don't agree that she plays the person either. I can see why some might think that, but I reckon she has gone at some people relentlessly, eg Hird and Little, its to hold them to account for what they've done, not who they are. And I'd also argue she has to do it in the uncompromising style she does to break through the boys club barrier. Also don't agree that Goode's booing was disconnected from his heritage, but that was done to death on the relevant thread.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Bill James said:
I don't think so. Plenty of female reporters who aren't the butt of violent jokes. Wilson was the butt of an (inappropriate) joke because she has a history of playing the person rather than the issue, not because she is a woman.

I have seen no evidence of Caro playing the person. The Hird situation may have looked personal; however this was due to Hird's insistence all along that he was right and would be vindicated. I don't know how Caro could have reported that situation without making it about Hird (and Little).

The fact of the matter is that not many reporters take on the establishment, for fear that they will be ostracized.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
David C said:
The massive over-reaction to McGuires comments can now actually be construed as "Bullying" against him because they are now so far out of proportion to his original sin, this is what happens when a mob basically decides to use their power to crush someone and is quite ironic in this whole situation.

you win the prize for the worst post of the year.

if anything, the media and the footy world in general haven't gone hard enough. Eddie has been a protected species for 20 years and this comeuppance is nothing less than what he deserves.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
lukeanddad said:
I have seen no evidence of Caro playing the person. The Hird situation may have looked personal; however this was due to Hird's insistence all along that he was right and would be vindicated. I don't know how Caro could have reported that situation without making it about Hird (and Little).

The fact of the matter is that not many reporters take on the establishment, for fear that they will be ostracized.

and Eddie's attempt to ostracize has backfired a bit

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
you win the prize for the worst post of the year.

if anything, the media and the footy world in general haven't gone hard enough. Eddie has been a protected species for 20 years and this comeuppance is nothing less than what he deserves.
And here we have it.

You and many others are more interested in head hunting McGuire as a vendetta.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Sure they're shifting, but when has it ever been OK to joke on air about drowning or (at best) torturing women?

Like I said at the outset, it's not a criminal offence but it's clearly in breach of the AFL's social policies and McGuire should've been whacked. Pretty obvious who really runs the AFL.

If Eddie was in breach of the AFL's social policies then I reckon Dustin was as well. As you tell us neither made a criminal offence. Neither incident was acceptable either. Both reflect poorly on the official anti-violence and protection of women initiatives of the RFC and the AFL. Interesting how it seems to be accepted when it involved one of our own. If I,as a woman and as a victim,was the be the recipiant of those behaviours I'd prefer Eddies.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
rosy23 said:
If Eddie was in breach of the AFL's social policies then I reckon Dustin was as well. As you tell us neither made a criminal offence. Neither incident was acceptable either. Both reflect poorly on the official anti-violence and protection of women initiatives of the RFC and the AFL. Interesting how it seems to be accepted when it involved one of our own. If I,as a woman and as a victim,was the be the recipiant of those behaviours I'd prefer Eddies.

We don't conclusively know either way what happened in that restaurant. We all know what Eddie and his boys said.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
And here we have it.

You and many others are more interested in head hunting McGuire as a vendetta.

what Vendetta? I don't have a personal gripe with Eddie, but historical data suggests he is a sh!t bloke.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Baloo said:
We don't conclusively know either way what happened in that restaurant. We all know what Eddie and his boys said.

We don't need to know conclusively. The fact Dustin needed to be removed from the premises, the girl's partners comments that you referred to, the footage of him over the woman are enough to recognise bulling behaviour regardless of provication or wording. Gesticulating in her head space with a chop stick. Thumping the wall near her etc. I don't think Dustin should have been charged, same as I don't think Eddie should be charged, but both situations were a good opportunity for the powers to be make statements about causes they spruik.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
rosy23 said:
We don't need to know conclusively. The fact Dustin needed to be removed from the premises, the girl's partners comments that you referred to, the footage of him over the woman are enough to recognise bulling behaviour regardless of provication or wording. Gesticulating in her head space with a chop stick. Thumping the wall near her etc. I don't think Dustin should have been charged, same as I don't think Eddie should be charged, but both situations were a good opportunity for the powers to be make statements about causes they spruik.
Wasn't a lot of the assumptions above proved to be in correct ? I could be totally wrong here but I seem to remember footage proving a lot of it had been made up? Again I could be wrong but didn't it end up been that Dusty had more of a case against the lady and her false accusations as he was proven to have simply just been drunk and loud in a public place ? I'm not taking a for or against stance and the fact it's a RFC player is irrelevant it's just that's what I believe we're the final findings of the incident .

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
rosy23 said:

Frankly if you are dim-witted enough to try to belittle a drunken man in front of his friends, and he explodes and starts yelling and throwing his arms around giving you a fright, I'd say you pretty much deserve it.

If you see a speeding car coming, do you walk in front of it just because you have the green light? You can say it on the way to heaven, "But I had the green light, I had the green light..."