Elimination Final - Richmond Vs Collingwood | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Elimination Final - Richmond Vs Collingwood

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana
mad_tiggy911 said:
Disagree. Was called back 3 times and ignored the ump. It started their momentum and almost cost us the game.
Have a look at it again the umpire is about 30 metres away from Shai, l can understand Shai not hearing the umpire.

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana
CC TIGER said:
Shhhhhh there is no Derek Smith 8-

There's a few VFL boys I thought were a bit stiff not to be playing.
I thought Soldo was unlucky not to play, surely he would offer more than Ivan produced at VFL level.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
K3 said:
X2.

Anyway the game followed the seniors in so many ways:

Inaccurate in front of goal

Good footy.

Fast paced.

Get out to a lead but not put the opposition away.

Opposition come back.

Fierce tackling.

Eventually win!

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
casper68 said:
I thought Soldo was unlucky not to play, surely he would offer more than Ivan produced at VFL level.
Yeh thought that was an interesting call too, they did rest Maric last week so may have always been part of the plan and obviously with Hampson and Griffiths back its highly unlikely Soldo gets back in the AFL team.

Not sure how the 23rd man works, but was surprised OSullivan playen in front of Coffield, Silvestro, Aarts and there's a couple others I can't think of, anyway I'll back Fly over my judgement any day of the week ;)

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
CC TIGER said:
Yeh thought that was an interesting call too, they did rest Maric last week so may have always been part of the plan and obviously with Hampson and Griffiths back its highly unlikely Soldo gets back in the AFL team.

Not sure how the 23rd man works, but was surprised OSullivan playen in front of Coffield, Silvestro, Aarts and there's a couple others I can't think of, anyway I'll back Fly over my judgement any day of the week ;)
"The 23rd man rule is for players who are currently on a TAC Cup list or were in the previous year to play up to three games for an affiliate VFL side. It’s mostly used for 19 year olds who have returned for a third year in the TAC Cup."

So maybe DS has played his permissible amount of games as a 23rd player?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Mikee said:
"We were very lucky"? How so mate? Staggered by this comment. We were by far the better team and the only reason the Pies were even close & in contention of winning the game was because of some riduculous umpiring decisions. You can't be serious, only way you can be if you had a bet on the Pies or a pies supporter.
Yeah, the Pies would have been very lucky to win. Some straight kicking by the Tigers woukd have seen the game over as a contest by half time.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We were top-heavy, played one too many talls. Coffield should have played. The poor bugger has played just about every game for the past two seasons. The 23rd man O'Sullivan should not have played. Small and physically insignificant. Where was Derek Smith? Silvestro and Aarts were unlucky to miss as well. The side was no doubt picked to keep all our AFL players match fit, but it was not the best side we could field.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
From the Age
chris-mayne-lifts-magpies-but-tigers-win-vfl-elimination-final-20170902-gy9iy9.html

SEPTEMBER 2 2017 - 6:43PM

Chris Mayne lifts Magpies but Tigers win VFL elimination final

Jon Pierik

Struggling Collingwood forward Chris Mayne responded to suggestions he could be moved on but it was Richmond who had the last laugh with a 12-point win in the VFL elimination final on Saturday.
Mayne was instrumental in the Magpies' strong finish with two final-term goals, helping his team erase a four-goal deficit and grab a one-point lead by the 23-minute mark.
A day after senior coach Nathan Buckley suggested Mayne's time may be up one year into a four-year contract worth $2 million, the former Docker snapped the goal of the day, then backed up with a mark and goal.

However, the Tigers responded late in the term, and Mayne missed a set shot which would have cut the lead to one point. Each side booted five goals in a thrilling final term.
Sam Lloyd was superb for the Tigers, having 33 disposals, including 20 contested, and could find himself in contention for a senior call-up for Friday night's AFL qualifying final against Geelong at the MCG. Anthony Miles was another to press for selection with 35 touches, including a goal.

"Our VFL program is really strong ... while a lot of guys would like to be playing AFL, it's nice to come back and play with those guys," Miles said.
Big men Shaun Hampson and Ivan Maric were also important in the win.
Magpie Jesse White was solid in what was his last match before retiring. He played 127 senior matches for the Swans and Pies.
Mayne, 27, has not been seen at senior level since round three. Buckley suggested on SEN on Friday that his recruitment had been in part through a mix-up in communication between Buckley and Graeme Allan, who had been the Pies' head of football briefly before he was suspended by the league for his role in the Lachie Whitfield affair.

"It's been a tough year for 'Mayney', and we've got some decisions to make going forward with that. It hasn't been a great result for the first 12 months," Buckley said.
Mayne's manager Colin Young told Fairfax Media on Friday that his client would remain at the club next year. He said Buckley had backed the recruitment of Mayne, who had been signed to add greater defensive pressure inside the Pies' attacking 50.
Mayne's father Steve had taken to social media to attack Buckley's comments.
Buckley watched the elimination final at North Port Oval.
In the VFL qualifying final on Saturday, Williamstown defeated Casey by 43 points.

rombosghost

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 14, 2004
Selection this week for the VFL team will be interesting. What to do with Soldo and Elton plus those VFL players who were unlucky not to play yesterday.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ah! Smith wasn't eligible because he only played 5 games during the season. Big mistake.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
taztiger4 said:
according to a club insider Derek sits just outside VFL best 22
But he's been playing as 23rd man, and he's a much better player than O'Sullivan.

Maybe we're hiding him from the spotlight in the hope of picking him up cheaply.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
spook said:
But he's been playing as 23rd man, and he's a much better player than O'Sullivan.

Maybe we're hiding him from the spotlight in the hope of picking him up cheaply.

PM me your email address

A player can only play 4 games as the 23rd player

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
taztiger4 said:
PM me your email address

A player can only play 4 games as the 23rd player
He's played 5 games. So for one it wasn't as the 23rd man, but part of the 22?

Anyway, his last game, against Sandy, he was one of the best handful of players on the ground. Strange omission for mine, if we could have picked him. Unless we're hiding him.

Do we have 23rd man options other than O'Sullivan? He's not up to it.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I am glad Soldo and Elton didn't play as the side was too top heavy as named.

Morris is really only playing as a result of loyalty and the example he sets in intensity. It's just really embarrassing watching him continually butcher the ball and come in late to almost every contest. He is really poor at reading the play.

Morris should be an easy and automatic delist. Be interesting to see what the club does in the off season

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Even without Soldo and Elton we were too top-heavy, lambswool. It might be a blessing in disguise if Eeevahn goes for the sling tackle. Coffield deserves a game.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Like your comments there Scoop.

Thought we had too many AFL listed types and too too heavy.

Next week will be interesting with selection for the VFL depending on selections this Friday for the seniors.