Email from Greg | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Email from Greg

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Just thought i would let you all know i received an email from Greg Miller re: the article and our consequent discussions. Basically, he put me in my place. I will not publish his response, but in summary he made the following basic statement of his position. Keep in mind that I am paraphrasing. He is trying to make the 8- 10 thousand members who have not joined up feel a prick of conscience as our main strength is our supporter base and yet we have so few members. He argues that simply we need the money to become/stay competitive (I assume he means as a team and a business.)
Greg basically asks for time, and really, fair enough.
I for one feel duly chastised and although i question the wisdom of the statments made, I no longer have any doubts that this guys if for real. He was certainly passionate in his response to my letter, and I am personally very impressed with the time he has taken to respond to me, and the manner in which he dealt with my questions.
Hutstar

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Good to hear he responded to your email, hutstar. It doesn't make supporters feel part of the club when their genuine queries and questions are just ignored, which has happened in the past.

I have no probelem with Greg Miller coming in and saying if he's in charge then he wants things done his way (that's not to say I will remain silent if I think something is wrong). He has the runs on the board when it comes to footy.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I wouldn't doubt Greg was for real either, but I still personally question his manner.
I guess how fans accept it should show in memberships shouldn't it?
It will be hard to tell if we have a couple of wins because memberships would sell anyway, but if we lose we'll know how successful Greg's media tactics are.
If he's successful in his approach memberships should rocket whether we win or not.
I know of people not buying a membership now over this.
I haven't heard from any who are inspired to join up over the article, but hopefully that's the way it will work out.
Go Tiges.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Did he say anything regarding our plan A and plan A and plan A game plan?
Anyway it's good to know he is fair dinkum but statements like he made in the article we can do without.
However the mere fact he responded speaks volumes for the character of the man as an individual.
Did you send him a long letter with a select few quotes from the thread Hutstar? What inspired you to do this?

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
hutstar said:
He argues that simply we need the money to become/stay competitive (I assume he means as a team and a business.)

An economic reality really.

In 2002 we had 27,500 (give or take), our figure currently stands at just shy of 20,000 members.

That is 7,500 members at about an average of $100 each considering the different levels of membership.

That equals $750,000 off the bottom line. That is money that Richmond or any other club can ill-afford to loose. If it doesn't come in memberships where are we going to get it from?

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
"Did you send him a long letter with a select few quotes from the thread Hutstar? What inspired you to do this? "

Tigerdog- I was just in here the other day, getting worked up, and i felt inspired. I did not quote the forum because i had a feeling Rosy was going to do it (or someone else) I just mentioned the feeling in the forum generally. I really would like to publish the letter because the guy was fairly tough- and I was very impressed by this- he clearly takes this task very seriously. I guess, and this is very hard to keep in mind all the time but it is true, everybody is trying hard. I just feel that in the future I will try to be more like our ever reasonable site administrator Rosy. (this means think before i write/speak)
hutstar

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I really like Millers early tough stance. As football director hopefully he can make the tough calls regarding our football personnel.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Just one other thing he mentioned- He thinks the tigers have been on the back foot for too long- I guess he is saying- and acting- in a way that he feels will set a tone, which presumably is that the club will demand of the fans the same thing the fans demand of the club? who knows...
Again, he asks for time, and god knows we have got used to giving the club time, so i will give him a few more weeks! ;D
hutstar

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
If you could give us a quick overview of the letter you sent, along with Greg's reply it would be very much appreciated Hutstar.

I have often sent e-mails to the club and have rarely received replies.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
One thing I hope Greg brings to Tigerland, and by the sounds of it he might have already, is the way North Melbourne treated it's fans.
My son is a North fan and corresponded with Corey McKernan a bit.
When Corey invited him into the social club to meet the players etc, some one came over to the rest of the family and took us for a tour of the facilities etc.
Every e-mail was replied to, every phone call was welcoming etc. It came across as a friendly palce that wanted people around.
I've posted that a few times over the years I know, but I think it's something Richmond has been sadly lacking and I hope Greg has brought it with him.

G

giggler

I like what Greg did. The club will find it very hard to survive if we don't get the members. He is a well respected man in football and seems to know what he's doing. He will have to take the flak if it fails.

Another thing about Greg is he has been in football for a long time and must have had an opinion on how we ran our operation from an outsider's view. Now he's inside the club, he may be able to address the problems that he would have seen when he wasn't there.

Any help would be appreciated because we are going nowhere fast.

And i sent an email to the club last week - still yet to get a reply.