EMMA MURRAY | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

EMMA MURRAY

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
If you have access to the Herald Sun web site please read the article on Emma Murray.

And pray she stays at Richmond.

What a remarkable woman who has helped so many of our team members become better players and people.

In particular, she cites Dusty as one she has helped and makes mention of how he has endeared himself to her disabled son.

If you don't have that access, then I am not sure where you can get hold of the quite lengthy interview.

It is a moving interview.

It is called "The secret weapon that helped the Tigers win 3 flags."

The interviewer is Hamish McLaughlin.

Reactions: 7 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Emma is the "SHE YODA " of the RFC.

Has by all reports had a massive impact.

"Keep her we must"!! (in yoda voice)

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
She also works with Scott McLaughlin and Will Pucovski. Plenty of others too I imagine.

And she was performing baby sitting services on the ground during the Grand Final ceremonies in Brisbane

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Great chat this week with her on Friends with Dyl.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
She also works with Scott McLaughlin and Will Pucovski. Plenty of others too I imagine.

And she was performing baby sitting services on the ground during the Grand Final ceremonies in Brisbane

I have listened to her podcasts over summer which is worth it I reckon, she had a special guest each time, Brandon Ellis was one, Will and Scott others - I think it’s called the house of wellness.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
If you have access to the Herald Sun web site please read the article on Emma Murray.

And pray she stays at Richmond.

What a remarkable woman who has helped so many of our team members become better players and people.

In particular, she cites Dusty as one she has helped and makes mention of how he has endeared himself to her disabled son.

If you don't have that access, then I am not sure where you can get hold of the quite lengthy interview.

It is a moving interview.

It is called "The secret weapon that helped the Tigers win 3 flags."

The interviewer is Hamish McLaughlin.

thanks for the heads up - just read it and checked out her work website for the first time - looks like she is still getting her business set up - hope it goes well.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
What an extraordinary lady and person is Emma. Richmond must and I mean must, keep her on to help the boys be better, not only as athletes but persons.

Loved the interview with whoever that guy was.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
What an extraordinary lady and person is Emma. Richmond must and I mean must, keep her on to help the boys be better, not only as athletes but persons.

Loved the interview with whoever that guy was.

Will be interesting to see if they fly Emma Interstate for all 20? away games of the season so she can have personal interaction with players rather than by Zoom or other means.
Reason being is Emma moved to Gold Coast at the start of last year in the main I think because the warmer weather was better for Will's, (her son), health.
As it turned out it played into our hands last year, as being on the Gold Coast Emma was able to avoid all the border lockdowns and join the Tiger hub.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Emma has been nothing short of amazing & a key figure in our successes but I do wonder if she's more useful on a consultancy basis now given so many of the team are familiar with her process.
At some stage like with all assistant coaches & coaches, the message has the potential to become stale.
Mind you the challenges don't go away. I'm sure Damien has been leaning on her the past month.
Those closest to it in the football dept. are in the best position to measure her continued effectiveness. Hopefully she continues to add to our successes for some time yet.

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Emma has been nothing short of amazing & a key figure in our successes but I do wonder if she's more useful on a consultancy basis now given so many of the team are familiar with her process.
At some stage like with all assistant coaches & coaches, the message has the potential to become stale.
Mind you the challenges don't go away. I'm sure Damien has been leaning on her the past month.
Those closest to it in the football dept. are in the best position to measure her continued effectiveness. Hopefully she continues to add to our successes for some time yet.
Very well said ToO.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
That may be so ToO, but think what an impact she would have on all these young guys coming through, like Rioli Junior, Dow, Ross and all the others. I'm sure many of them wonder if they are going to be good enough and make it to the top. Emma would try to instil in them to be the best, as she has said.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Emma Murray has been an amazing addition to the staff team at RFC.
She has had an incredible impact on the players and coaches.
I do hope that she is able to stay strongly connected/associated with RFC.
Her potential impact on the draftees of the past two to three years could be enormous, helping them to become the players the Club believes they can be for the future.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

The difference with Emma Murray is she delivers a service, like a physio giving a rub down on Grand Final day.

A masseuse of the mind.

Replacing that service is problematic as it’s a relatively new service that’s highly variable depending on the person delivering it.

It’s like replacing a good physio in the 1920’s before the field was even a thing. Where do you go to hire a replacement?

In contrast, we know how to replace a good assistant coach.

Also, mindfulness coaching is usually very hit or miss. Plenty are quacks.

A similar thing can be seen with psychoanalysts. A majority (~90% I believe) are useless, but the very best can and do work wonders. There’s just too many artsy, subjective intangibles in the soft sciences of the mind. Too many nuances.

I’d encourage the club to go above and beyond to keep her closely involved. Her role is unique because it hinges more on the person doing it, it’s a young field, there isn’t any standardised pathway for any replacement we might hire, there isn’t even a course in her field, and it could take decades before what she does becomes well-researched, well-taught, and widely delivered with results.

She’s probably 10-20 years ahead of the pack, while other clubs are going to struggle to replicate it.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Is it likely we are going to be able to keep her and not let the whinging Pussies get hold of her.