End of an Era | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

End of an Era

Pandaboy

Tiger Superstar
Mar 27, 2009
Yep.

Losing in that fashion against a truly below average side we thumped earlier in the year says it all. At no point in that game we even looked like running them down.

Signs were there after the hawthorn game.

Time to bring in the kids NOW. Even if we scrape in the 8 we r totally making up the numbers. We stand zero chance against the likes of Brisbane, Melbourne and Geelong in finals.

Make the big calls on retirements . . Jack, Houli, Cotch and Dave all shouldn't go on next year. Edwards maybe one more but wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the pin too. Grimes nearing the end, and Prestia, Lynch, Lambert in decline. Aarts, George, Rioli, Caddy no longer best 22.
Time to play the kids see what they have for the rest of the year and top up on kids in the draft.

Reactions: 1 user

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Cotch is a worry,has been in decline for 2-3 years,only seems to play 1 good game every 4-5 weeks,needs to find a new position or even consider retirement.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If i told all of you guys that we would win 3 flags in 4 years 5 years ago you wouldve all chased me out of the country.
Its been absolutly incredible witnessing the build of this great team, but now its time to regenerate. Where not winning a flag with this best 22.
The club has left us in a great position to attack the draft, free agency or even targeting players from other clubs.
I personally believe Houli Cotchin Astbury and Maybe even Grimes might walking away at the end of this year.
I have the faith and belief Hardwick to keep building us back into a September force again.
6 picks under 50.
Throw in if Bolton or Cj pack it up.
We could possibly have 5 picks under 20.

Reactions: 6 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Takes years to climb to the top of the mountain. When your time is up you get pushed off. There’s no slow climb back down.
3-4 years at the top is about the max. The fall will be fast and horrible.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Walking out of the MCG tonight, I felt really empty. This felt different to the other losses we have had this year.
The guys look slow, tired and just not up to it. A few of them have 3 premiership medals already and its only natural to have a diminishing motivation to stay at the top.

As I type this post, I am looking at the three Premiership posters hanging on the wall in front of me in all their glory.
What an exhilarating and fabulous ride the last 4 years has been. Thank you RFC.

Reactions: 12 users

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
It’s been one hell of a ride. As much as it hurts now, part of me thinks the most enjoyable times are when you’re on the way up, circa 2017, riding the wave.

Let’s hope the next set comes in soon and we all get to enjoy the ride once again.

Reactions: 4 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I think winning it from eighth will make this premiership even better than the others.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
It’s been one hell of a ride. As much as it hurts now, part of me thinks the most enjoyable times are when you’re on the way up, circa 2017, riding the wave.

Let’s hope the next set comes in soon and we all get to enjoy the ride once again.
September 30th 2017 was one of the best days of my life. I still get emotional thinking about it

Reactions: 8 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
September 30th 2017 was one of the best days of my life. I still get emotional thinking about it
Yeah my favourite Killers song “When You Were Young” came on when I was driving to the ground tonight. Took me straight back there. Got very nostalgic. Training on the Friday and the GF parade. Meeting friends and family in the morning then heading to the ground. Yelling at Josh Jenkins to get back in the goal square as the Crows warmed up on the ground in front of us. The thrill of the game and being overwhelmed with emotion when I finally let myself believe in the last quarter. Watching the players collect their medals and the cup. The Killers concert after the game. Swan Street. The Rising Sun. Punt Road on the Sunday and lunch and more beers at the Mountain View afterwards. The London on Monday.

What a great day; few days really. I can’t see anything ever coming close to that and sharing it with my wife, son, sister, brother, great mates made it all the better. Almost tearing up again.

I’m shattered about what happened tonight but no matter what happens for the rest of this year thanks for everything Tigers.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Takes years to climb to the top of the mountain. When your time is up you get pushed off. There’s no slow climb back down.
Swans avoided it for quite a while, and the Dawks. Geesook have not fallen off the cliff and WCE have stayed up to compete in finals most years. It all comes down to regeneration and recruiting. Facing reality.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yeah my favourite Killers song “When You Were Young” came on when I was driving to the ground tonight. Took me straight back there. Got very nostalgic. Training on the Friday and the GF parade. Meeting friends and family in the morning then heading to the ground. Yelling at Josh Jenkins to get back in the goal square as the Crows warmed up on the ground in front of us. The thrill of the game and being overwhelmed with emotion when I finally let myself believe in the last quarter. Watching the players collect their medals and the cup. The Killers concert after the game. Swan Street. The Rising Sun. Punt Road on the Sunday and lunch and more beers at the Mountain View afterwards. The London on Monday.

What a great day; few days really. I can’t see anything ever coming close to that and sharing it with my wife, son, sister, brother, great mates made it all the better. Almost tearing up again.

I’m shattered about what happened tonight but no matter what happens for the rest of this year thanks for everything Tigers.
Ditto for me, Rids. Couldn't have said it any better, just alter a few little particulars. What a ride it's been. Fantastic.

Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
If i told all of you guys that we would win 3 flags in 4 years 5 years ago you wouldve all chased me out of the country.
Agree.
If at the end of 2016, the footy gods had offered me three more flags in my life time or I could take my chances, I'd have bitten their arm off (I am nearer 70 than 40). Probably would have taken ONE at that time.
We have been spoiled. Ask our opponents of tonight what it's like to win a premiership, or TWO.
If you are not sated by this period where we have won 54 years' worth of present day AFL premierships in four, then go and follow Celtic or Rangers.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I never want this period to end. But it will. If not this year, it will come.

Blair, Dimma and Co now will truly be tested. Draft or trade is the key question. Still enough there to have another tilt next year. But it is a fine line between doing a Geelong or a hawthorn.

For me, the clubs success has been built on the draft. Can't get them all right but must play the numbers.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
2021, with that terrible display and a couple of injuries, looks to be out of reach.

But we're not done yet. Some good young players coming through, hopefully a few will succeed. Some of the older players will stay on and contribute a lot, we will still have Dusty, Shedda, Grimes etc.

We just need to make a sober assessment of the players who are now at the end of their careers and bring some players through and we can be competitive in 2022.

This group, with some changes to replace the older warhorses, can still contend.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We'll always be able to say they had to change the rules to stop us. But the game can never be the same again as a result. There is Before Richmond and After Richmond. What a time it has been to be a Tiger!

First signpost was Round 3 when a team of kids picked us apart with a thousand 10m passes, and there have been a few since. Kickouts into the attacking half, like soccer. Lawyers slowly but surely squeezing the life from the game. If the AFL happened to go broke, I wouldn't be sad. It was meant to be.

We've got a strong draft/trade hand, so go out and get the players we need to play this new sport. I'll be watching on the telly.

Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
We are in an excellent position for sustained success over the coming decade.

It’s become a different landscape in the AFL. The strong clubs stay strong.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
May as well make it a top 5 pick if the wheels have fallen off. Start putting a few guys out for the season, get games into the kids and hit the draft, no topping up.
I agree, no Hawthorn topping up, but the situation really isn't necessarily that bad. Still a few years of good footy in most players. A great draft lineup. Some excellent young Key Position players coming up. We're down on mids, but only need to find a couple to complement Bolton, Baker and Graham.
We've played a ton of kids this year, it's been really fragmented (I truly think the Covid interruption has exaserbated things massively), we've had some REALLY *smile* injuries that have hurt. Along with excuses, there's a few who look like they're done (Jack, Trent, Bachar) and rejuvenation needs to happen starting next week ideally.

I think a bit of luck, a good free agent or two and a strong draft has us back in the mix next year. The premiership run might be over, but it wasn't going to last forever.