End Of Year Trade ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

End Of Year Trade ?

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I agree Shawry.

PS: Have you ever thought about starting a Secretarial business? Your typing skills are phenomenal ;D ;D ;D

Yep I definitely need a refresher course.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
We wont win a Premership with the David Rodans of this world, sorry.
Question. Would he get a game at any clubs above us on the ladder ?? probably not !

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I disagre Jackstar, i think Rodan is the type of player to help us win a premiership. no one player can win you a premiership on their own but he is a hard at it player, runs well cna kick freakish goals, has good muscle size nad strength adn will only get stronger.
Has played 40 straight consecutive AFL games already, is still learning and is only 19.

Not to mention has leadership potential which our side lacks.

He is jsut the type of player i do want in my side.

He wil lstart getting more of the ball when he is given extended ruins in the midfield and gets older and stronger.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Spends enough time in the midfield now and gets chopped up. If these players were so good, we wouldnt be in the position we are in NOW.
We have about three decent players who put in 100 percent and HATE LOOSING and I will tell you who they are. Campbell, Coghlan, Chaffey and Newman, the rest just roll over and die when we are 5 goals down. You cant argue about that can you ?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I wouldn't say Andy kellaway lays down and dies when we are a few goals down. :mad:

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
I have seen him once or twice roll over this year. I am a rap for Andrew but he has thrown in the towel once or twice, could you blame him though ?

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
jackstar, you might be right that Rodan isn't getting enough of the ball, but I think the same argument can be made for Newman. At their age I am not too concerned with the amount of ball they get but more so I'm concerned with how they get it and how they utilise it when they have it.

Fiora gets just as much ball as both of them but he is a hack because he has no footy smarts. In Rodan's favour is that he can kick the freakish goal and he can provide the ignition to pump us up. I'd like to see him get more of the ball as well but in footy terms he is yet a baby. At the moment he doesn't always read the play too well, but he does try. I've seen him bust his gut to try and chase down players where others would have given up the chase.

Personally I dont think he will develop into a consistent match winner but i'm yet to be convinced that he wont be worthy of a spot in a premiership team. As it stands I'd agree with you he probably isnt good enough to be in a premiership team. But I think he can improve somewhat.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Well put JohnF.
Newman is playing in a defensive role, he dosent give in very often.
All I am saying is that we are not going to win a premiership or even makes the finals with the team we have ,so some hard decisions have to be made.
If we have the option of having a 6ft on balller compared to a 5ft 3 midget, you know who to pick dont you. ?
Compare Coghlan to Rodan, there is no comparison

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
the claw said:
draga fiora hall hilton holland krakouer mcgrath rodan they are all reasonably rated at the club but they all have one thing in common they dont get their hands on the footy enough …

You make some very good points Claw.

However, you put Krakouer in there. I think he has talent we haven't even seen yet. An early call on him.

If we can help him to develop then it won't necessarily be the number of possessions he gets, but what he does with those he does get that will matter most.

Not everyone is going to be a 20+ possession a game player. Those player types are valuable and necessary, but you need others too who hurt the opposition with quality, not just quantity, e.g. Joel Bowden.

In the long run, I think Krak's best attribute will not necessarily be the number of possessions he is able to get, but what he is able to do with those he does get. If he can win lots of the ball as well, that will be a bonus, in my view.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I've had mixed feelings about Krakouer but i'll say one thing: he has the biggest girls build in the whole team. Even Marty McGrath has more muscle than him, thoughkrakouer has more puppy fat. If he is able to build his body up over the next couple of years he could be a really good player. He is already strong now despite his girl's build and looks to have enourmous room to improve.

He has shown glimpses this year of being something special.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
MC24 - You refer to Bowden as player who hurts the opposition with not just quntity but quality. Is this the same Joel Bowden who leads the league in clanger kicks? The same Joel Bowden who is responsible for 10% of our turnovers? The same Joel Bowden who shirks the hard ball get? The same Joel Bowden who doesn't chase?

The only team Bowden has hurt this year has been the Tigers.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
RFC not KFC said:
MC24 - You refer to Bowden as player who hurts the opposition with not just quntity but quality. Is this the same Joel Bowden who leads the league in clanger kicks? The same Joel Bowden who is responsible for 10% of our turnovers? The same Joel Bowden who shirks the hard ball get? The same Joel Bowden who doesn't chase?

RFC not KFC, that's the opposite of what I meant. And I have said in the past that Joel doesn't hurt the opposition enough.

In fact, I agree with you that he hurts us more than he does them.

I'll have to watch how I word things. I see how you thought that. :p

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
No matter what players we trade and get in return it won't make any difference with Frawely calling the shots.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Harry how much are those tickets.

Yet again I am inclined to agree with you and your past arguements about if we are rebuilding we should have someone at the helme is there for the long term.

What is most concerning is that, unless we have some secret agenda, this year would seem to be an ideal to pursue a new coach.

Most other teams apart from Melbourne and maybe St.kilda seem set to retain their current coaches so there won't be to many opportunities for coaches at years end. There are a number of Senior coaches floating in the winds in WALLACE and EADE and some real prospects such as HARVEY, O'DONNELL, LAMBERT and a few others.

Would seem like an ideal time to be on the market unless there is some other agenda already in place?????

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Gus, don't think the agenda is too secret - 8 current coaches come out of contract at the end of 2004. If everyone hangs onto their current coach, the field may widen enormously next year, Wallace et al will still be there...plus we save close to $1m by letting Danny's contract run. I advise buying a ticket next year ;D

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
JohnF said:
I've had mixed feelings about Krakouer but i'll say one thing: he has the biggest girls build in the whole team. Even Marty McGrath has more muscle than him, thoughkrakouer has more puppy fat. If he is able to build his body up over the next couple of years he could be a really good player. He is already strong now despite his girl's build and looks to have enourmous room to improve.

He has shown glimpses this year of being something special.

I wouldn't worry too much about what his build looks like. you could make a coaching tape for tackling from his efforts.

Another thing to note is how often when caught one out with his opponent that he actually wins the contest easily - there is something very special about Krakouer.

What we have to do is get him into the midfield more often because NOBODY can get a kick in our forward line because of how we move the ball. This doesn't help Rodan's possession count either.

I think this is where Rory Hilton has suffered too. If we played him in defense he'd get some form back, but this year we've tried to use him as a pinch hit forward. In our side it's like being sent to the gallows. Put him in defense and let him run straight at it. Put guys like Bowden forward.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Agree with what you say frickenel, but if Krakouer is to play any substantial role in the midfield he has to bulk up so he can weather the hard hits.

I've noticed also that he is excellent in the one of one's, especially when the ball hits the deck. His reflexes are superb.

Agree about the tackling as well. he'd have to be near the best tackler in the team and definitely the most defnesively competent player in our forward line. its a disgrace seeing him chase 2 or 3 opponents out of our forward line whilst the likes of Richo stand hands on hips or pleading for a free kick to the umpires.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Dean3 said:
Gus, don't think the agenda is too secret - 8 current coaches come out of contract at the end of 2004. If everyone hangs onto their current coach, the field may widen enormously next year, Wallace et al will still be there...plus we save close to $1m by letting Danny's contract run. I advise buying a ticket next year ;D

Thanks Dean3. Just don't want to see us putting all our eggs in one basket then finding ourself forced to take our 3rd for forth choice because we played a waiting game to save some face.

Probably still won't be a bad time to come on board as their will still be a couple of years of serious rebuilding to do at the end of 2004 even if we do draft and trade well this year.

Hopefully the off season will offer a few prospect that will attract a quality coach.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
RFC not KFC said:

Bowden should be forced to kick the ball long. When he kicks long, he has a better chance of hitting the target.

He cant kick short. Strange as it seems, it's true.

I wouldnt want to see Bowden traded, he can turn on amd almost win the game. His main problem is consistancy. I believe this may be due to the fact he is being played all over the place and not given the chance to settle in one position.

In his earlier days, Bowden used to play most of his football on the Half Foward Flank and was a dangerous player capable of kicking goals.