End the Chol farce

aoc1974

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 1, 2015
Nah mate.....too old I believe. Cut off is 21. .... tho come to think of it he turned 22 in January. Will check

Put my hand up.... I'm WRONG! (I think)

A player is nominated for the award each round during the AFL season by a panel of experts; to be eligible for nomination, the player must be aged 21 or under on 1 January that year, and have played ten or fewer AFL games as of the start of the season.
Just goes to show ya can't trust the Google!
Should've stuck with my original thought.
Apologies if I've barked anyone up the wrong tree!

Don’t Argue

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 22, 2019
When Nakas gets back. Chol goes to CHB, Balta to the wing.
Get rid of Ellis.
Chol at CHB?
Zips this is surely one of your finest!
Body on body, Cholly would get beaten 10 out of 10 times. He simply doesn’t understand ball flight and body positioning so we would get zero rebound.
Only way he can mark atm is to have a run at it.
He’s a ruckman/forward every day of the week

Reactions: 1 user

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Glad he played a good game and happy for him. The knock on him for a long time has been that he runs under the ball a lot. Let's hope he/we have ironed that out. If he could judge the ball in flight like Alir Alir we'd have a superstar on our hands.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Alir is a superstar and has exceptional football judgement.
Long way to go for Cholly. As Scoop said, its a perfect time to play a few rounds against the saints and suns. Should give him confidence before we get to serious competition

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Seems a reasonable CHB prospect to me.

I suspect he would benefit from being lead to the pill.

caesar

Tiger Champion
Feb 9, 2015
Forward/Ruck for mine. Marbs game sense isn't too bad as when he is playing ruck he has a reasonably good balance of making himself dangerous running forward, (a couple of good inside 50 deliveries on the weekend), and giving a chop out down back similar to Nank. Staying engaged in the game has always been his problem.
Liked what Vlaustin said on RSN radio when asked did he see a game like that in Chole, he said he had been playing consistently well in the VFL and then jokingly added, maybe because all his Brothers were playing in the ones, (read, Rioli/Shai & Stack), he was feeling lonely and knew he needed to perform.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Staying engaged in the game has always been his problem.
Yep.
The thing is that it's pretty hard to be disengaged if you're playing in front of 70,000 roaring tiger fans at the G.
Playing VFL at Punt Road is definitely off Broadway.
Just hope he stays involved in front of 15,000 at Metricon this week.

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
Just realised Cholly's 4 games not at the G.

Let's hope he performs well and stays in for the GWS game. It'll be interesting to see how he covers the ground.

Tigers of Old

Twitter: @Tigers_of_Old
Jul 26, 2004
Chol was superb in the first half & picked up where he left off from the week before. Leaping at the ball when forward, more than handy in the ruck & showcasing his ball handling & kicking skills.
The second half was a bit of a different story. He switched off a bit after the game was won. When his intensity drops he falls into some lazy habits. His challenge is to find that consistency of performance. Did enough clearly to get another game but is too far from establishing himself in the team to be lazy.
He’s set the benchmark now. Needs to play to it. That said he’s a very exciting prospect.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
was breathtakingly athletic on several occasions yesterday.

he's still a baby big isn't he?

has the attributes to be a Nic nat like freak, which is obviously why we've kept paying him for 4? years?

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Good first half. Was a forward target many times in the 2nd half and got his hands to the ball for marks but they just wouldn't stick. Only 2 disposals in the 2nd half but certainly seems to be improving.

UKTiger

Tiger Champion
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
After watching him in the last couple of matches, I have the feeling that Choi has turned the corner and now starting to understand the game. He will never be a world beater but a useful ruck /forward, quite possibly

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Got his hands on many marking contests but just wouldn't stick due to the slippery conditions. He's reading the flight and contesting much better. Must stay in the side as the 2nd ruck option, even when nank returns

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Keeps playing. And has guaranteed a spot on next years list. 23 all of next year.

Big men take time. Back up forwards/rucks are rare as hens teeth.

If Sam Draper can get 450k a year without playing a game and be worth a reported second round pick at the trade table, by the end of next year Chol could be a very hand trade chip if he isn't getting regular game time but keeps progressing. Hawthorn, Carlton, the Dogs are all clubs that cold do with a Chol type.

Tigers of Old

Twitter: @Tigers_of_Old
Jul 26, 2004
After watching him in the last couple of matches, I have the feeling that Choi has turned the corner and now starting to understand the game. He will never be a world beater but a useful ruck /forward, quite possibly
Not convinced he'll never be a world beater.

BrisTiger24

Chimp's Love of the Tiger
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I have a lot of time for Mabs. At training on Friday he went to the furthest supporters from the dressing rooms to the supporters who nobody went over to for autographs. When he got to us he had a chat to my 5 year old son about how to pronounce his name correctly :D

At the game, one think I noticed when he was forward was that he made good position for a down the line kick but most of the time we preferred to go shorter / sideways to open up a runner. WHen they did use him, he made a really good contest. Against the better teams applying more pressure in the midfield and with better defensive structure, using Mabs would be a good option.

I think there is definitely room in the side for Mabs when Jack is back. Having an extra marking target forward as well as the relief ruck will be important and he is the man for the job.