Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
caesar said:
Do Ben Lennon , Liam McBean, Daniel Connors Ty Vickery etc fit the stereotype when many questioned their commitment and work ethic?

Not sure what debate you are trying to bring into this thread, if it is race? please don't as it has nothing to do with it, I am talking about footballers pure and simple..

A source within the club intimated that Mabs was de-listed more as a wake-up call than anyting else as opposed to Towner was de-listed with the blessing of the club to see if someone out there were willing to draft him with the hope of more game time.

Surely it is not hard to observe the difference both in talent and work ethic of these two players, (hard to find a better example actually).

Great post, Caesar. Love your reports, appreciate your efforts.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
caesar said:
A source within the club intimated that Mabs was de-listed more as a wake-up call than anyting else

Must be a more valid reason for this. Tigers are racist maybe?

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
tigerlove said:
Must be a more valid reason for this. Tigers are racist maybe?

Wow...

I would imagine if you read through delisting's of all clubs you will find different, shapes, sizes and color...

With our institute and hiring X I would suggest were in great shape!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Tigertough1974 said:
Wow...

I would imagine if you read through delisting's of all clubs you will find different, shapes, sizes and color...

With our institute and hiring X I would suggest were in great shape!

Geez, ponder that thought....by george you might be right. Not racist after all?

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
tigerlove said:
Geez, ponder that thought....by george you might be right. Not racist after all?

Can't afford to be. It's only a generation away, maybe two, when the AFL will be dominated by those with African heritages as has happened in US sports. Their genetic traits make them ideally suited to AFL. It's only a matter of time.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Broders said:
Can't afford to be. It's only a generation away, maybe two, when the AFL will be dominated by those with African heritages as has happened in US sports. Their genetic traits make them ideally suited to AFL. It's only a matter of time.
Yep. If only we could round up those who are in the news for the wrong reasons and give them a positive pathway to use all their energy in sport teams such as football, soccer and basketball. Their self-image and self-respect would improve and they would feel more connected to our society rather than feeling disengaged and displaying anti-social behaviour. Hope I'm not the only one to think that way. Worth a try at least.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
caesar said:
Do Ben Lennon , Liam McBean, Daniel Connors Ty Vickery etc fit the stereotype when many questioned their commitment and work ethic?

Not sure what debate you are trying to bring into this thread, if it is race? please don't as it has nothing to do with it, I am talking about footballers pure and simple..

A source within the club intimated that Mabs was de-listed more as a wake-up call than anyting else as opposed to Towner was de-listed with the blessing of the club to see if someone out there were willing to draft him with the hope of more game time.

Surely it is not hard to observe the difference both in talent and work ethic of these two players, (hard to find a better example actually).

It’s partly the problem for data analysis whenever a unique player comes along who doesn’t model someone before him. These players are the hardest to judge, so subjective analysis forms a larger piece of the pie. And as inconvenient as it is true - race colours subjective analysis in sports. Since he’s a unique type of player, who doesn’t fit the model, and has a unique background, it’s the perfect recipe for errors in perception. Worth thinking about, but not worth stressing about either.

I actually think modern society is full of excuses for anyone who’s not in the middle of any distribution. It helps to be different. As for work ethic, inferences need to be made and inferences are influenced by how talented you think someone is. He happens to fit the stereotype, which either means he just happens to fit the stereotype or a couple of assumptions about him are false.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
123kid said:
How do we know he lacks work ethic?

I wonder how much some are overrating his “natural talent”. We do see glimpses of athleticism, but many are assuming the reason he hasn’t taken the next step is because he’s not working as hard as some of the other players. It’s the same narrative for a lot of athletic dark-skinned players, coincidentally.

Many are implying he’s lazy but talented, and in American sports they’re very conscious about these kinds of attitudes and attributions towards black people. Australia is much less conscious about it.

I mean, all the talk on here fits the stereotype, so it’s worth asking the question if we’re being a bit harsh on Chol regarding his work ethic.

Have you ever read about alir alir or Majak daw having a poor work ethic?

Perhaps you don’t because they have the required fitness levels and they display the right attitude?

Questioning players work ethics happens to all colours and nationalities.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
MD Jazz said:
Have you ever read about alir alir or Majak daw having a poor work ethic?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/daw-finally-works-it-out-and-earns-debut-20130418-2i32o.html

Many young players have poor work ethic or just simply surprised by what is required to make it at AFL level. Really has nothing to do with race. We're talking about the highest level of sport, to make it for the majority of players requires more commitment than most young people would be prepared to give.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Take the endurance running out of the equation, (where in his first session back he was average to say the least), Mabs is otherwise looking quite impressive in all simulation drills and some of the physical stuff as well, ragdolling a player or two. Coaching staff had him doing several repeat sets of ground ball drills in which on the whole he was very clean.
Still a prospect worth persevering with.

nafe brown

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 22, 2014
caesar said:
Take the endurance running out of the equation, (where in his first session back he was average to say the least), Mabs is otherwise looking quite impressive in all simulation drills and some of the physical stuff as well, ragdolling a player or two. Coaching staff had him doing several repeat sets of ground ball drills in which on the whole he was very clean.

Hey Caesar,

has he put an weight on ? and where do you think is his best position will be going forward ?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
caesar said:

Good news cheers mate.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
nafe brown said:
Hey Caesar,

has he put an weight on ? and where do you think is his best position will be going forward ?

I would say Mabs has been hitting the weights going by his biceps. If he is going to make it in the AFL, (and that may not be at RFC if he decides to go elsewhere to get some game time at a weaker club), still reckon, long term, he should be aiming for a mobile ruckmen role and could be capable going forward.
With Lynch's arrival and Balta training forward it has just got that much harder for the forward role with us?
None of what I said means I am confident of Mabs making it but he was close to a call up, (as mentioned by one of the coaches), before he quite badly injured his foot, instead Moore got the opportunity.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
caesar said:
I would say Mabs has been hitting the weights going by his biceps. If he is going to make it in the AFL, (and that may not be at RFC if he decides to go elsewhere to get some game time at a weaker club), still reckon, long term, he should be aiming for a mobile ruckmen role and could be capable going forward.
With Lynch's arrival and Balta training forward it has just got that much harder for the forward role with us?
None of what I said means I am confident of Mabs making it but he was close to a call up, (as mentioned by one of the coaches), before he quite badly injured his foot, instead Moore got the opportunity.

I always looked at the Chol experiment as a 5 year project , Its probably the hardest spot for a non football player to master but one that he has the physical attributes to play best. He is the ideal height,weight, leap to make it as a Ruckman and i believe he has the capability to make it just has to want it badly enough to put in the most amount of work he has ever done.

Im sure once his fitness is upto the level things will get easier for him to do but heeds to really commit himself to the game

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Seen enough Im not sold on Soldo.
When a ruckman cant take a single mark during the game he needs to be replaced
Its time to end the farce and give Chol a run to show what he's got

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Chol will be embarrassed if he played Afl. Nowhere near it. People get excited with his cameo games in the vfl. I don't think people understand just how poor a competition the vfl is.

Would rather Soldo and that says it all.