Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Have they announced the winner of this weeks Rising Star nomination yet? Isn’t it usually done by now?
Chol meets the maximum game requirement but 12 months too old so not eligible to be nominated.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Chol meets the maximum game requirement but 12 months too old so not eligible to be nominated.
Well I think he's eligible. I googled the eligibility and it did say 21 @ 1 January
He turned 22 in late January I believe.
Mind you if shiffter sheen can find a loophole to not make him eligible for a nom.... it will be found!

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Well I think he's eligible. I googled the eligibility and it did say 21 @ 1 January
Mind you if shiffter sheen can find a loophole to not make him eligible for a nom.... it will be found!

Shifter Sheehan the same bloke that said Pettifier was leadership quality and that Griffens was a power forward.
After those comments i dont take anything he says seriously.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Yes you're right, my mistake, the eligibility does say 21 or under at 1 January. I was looking on footywire ; https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ty-richmond-tigers?year=2019# and it seems they have forgotten to add Chol to the 2019 eligible list although he was listed for 2018. Although nothing would surprise me with loopholes and the AFL and if footywire have forgotten maybe the AFL has too or perhaps they are waiting for a 'body of work' to show consistency!!!!.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Yes you're right, my mistake, the eligibility does say 21 or under at 1 January. I was looking on footywire ; https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ty-richmond-tigers?year=2019# and it seems they have forgotten to add Chol to the 2019 eligible list although he was listed for 2018. Although nothing would surprise me with loopholes and the AFL and if footywire have forgotten maybe the AFL has too or perhaps they are waiting for a 'body of work' to show consistency!!!!.
Just thinking about that...... is it because he was initially rookie listed this year, or maybe I'm wrong again? How would ya know?
:oops:

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
Can someone from the club advise if Chol is eligible and whether the AFL acknowledge that fact. I for one don’t understand how (if he is elligible) he could not have received this weeks nomination, after getting 5 coaches votes and question whether that has ever occurred before?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Can someone from the club advise if Chol is eligible and whether the AFL acknowledge that fact. I for one don’t understand how (if he is elligible) he could not have received this weeks nomination, after getting 5 coaches votes and question whether that has ever occurred before?
To be eligible for the AFL Rising Star Award, each year's nominated players must be under the age of 21 at 1 January and have played no more than 10 AFL games to the start of that season.
They must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season (as with the Brownlow Medal, players found guilty of certain offences and fined or reprimanded by the Tribunal remain eligible to win the award).

As Mabior was 21 on January 1 2019 I'm assuming he's not eligible.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Good opposition to be going up against to continue to cement his spot, the next few weeks are going to be a huge test for him, if he now believes and is prepared to keep working hard he may just make the grade

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

I don't think they vote on merit for just one game. Often to me it seems they look at accumulation of good games before winning a nomination. Exception would be early in the season. There are a lot of good young players who don't get a nomination despite having some ripper games. I think it'd be a little unfair for Chol to be chosen this week.

Rising Star Potentials

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
To be eligible for the AFL Rising Star Award, each year's nominated players must be under the age of 21 at 1 January and have played no more than 10 AFL games to the start of that season.
They must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season (as with the Brownlow Medal, players found guilty of certain offences and fined or reprimanded by the Tribunal remain eligible to win the award).

As Mabior was 21 on January 1 2019 I'm assuming he's not eligible.
That sounds logical. Cholly to old for rising star.
I'll be happy if he keeps playing well n earns himself a contract extension. Kids got talent, all he needs to do is keep himself focused within the game.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Nah mate.....too old I believe. Cut off is 21. .... tho come to think of it he turned 22 in January. Will check

Put my hand up.... I'm WRONG! (I think)

A player is nominated for the award each round during the AFL season by a panel of experts; to be eligible for nomination, the player must be aged 21 or under on 1 January that year, and have played ten or fewer AFL games as of the start of the season.

Just goes to show ya can't trust the Google!
Should've stuck with my original thought.
Apologies if I've barked anyone up the wrong tree!

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
When Nakas gets back. Chol goes to CHB, Balta to the wing.
Get rid of Ellis.

Chol at CHB?
Zips this is surely one of your finest!
Body on body, Cholly would get beaten 10 out of 10 times. He simply doesn’t understand ball flight and body positioning so we would get zero rebound.
Only way he can mark atm is to have a run at it.
He’s a ruckman/forward every day of the week

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Glad he played a good game and happy for him. The knock on him for a long time has been that he runs under the ball a lot. Let's hope he/we have ironed that out. If he could judge the ball in flight like Alir Alir we'd have a superstar on our hands.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Alir is a superstar and has exceptional football judgement.
Long way to go for Cholly. As Scoop said, its a perfect time to play a few rounds against the saints and suns. Should give him confidence before we get to serious competition

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Forward/Ruck for mine. Marbs game sense isn't too bad as when he is playing ruck he has a reasonably good balance of making himself dangerous running forward, (a couple of good inside 50 deliveries on the weekend), and giving a chop out down back similar to Nank. Staying engaged in the game has always been his problem.
Liked what Vlaustin said on RSN radio when asked did he see a game like that in Chole, he said he had been playing consistently well in the VFL and then jokingly added, maybe because all his Brothers were playing in the ones, (read, Rioli/Shai & Stack), he was feeling lonely and knew he needed to perform.