Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Staying engaged in the game has always been his problem.

Yep.
The thing is that it's pretty hard to be disengaged if you're playing in front of 70,000 roaring tiger fans at the G.
Playing VFL at Punt Road is definitely off Broadway.
Just hope he stays involved in front of 15,000 at Metricon this week.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just realised Cholly's 4 games not at the G.

Let's hope he performs well and stays in for the GWS game. It'll be interesting to see how he covers the ground.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Chol was superb in the first half & picked up where he left off from the week before. Leaping at the ball when forward, more than handy in the ruck & showcasing his ball handling & kicking skills.
The second half was a bit of a different story. He switched off a bit after the game was won. When his intensity drops he falls into some lazy habits. His challenge is to find that consistency of performance. Did enough clearly to get another game but is too far from establishing himself in the team to be lazy.
He’s set the benchmark now. Needs to play to it. That said he’s a very exciting prospect.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
was breathtakingly athletic on several occasions yesterday.

he's still a baby big isn't he?

has the attributes to be a Nic nat like freak, which is obviously why we've kept paying him for 4? years?

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Good first half. Was a forward target many times in the 2nd half and got his hands to the ball for marks but they just wouldn't stick. Only 2 disposals in the 2nd half but certainly seems to be improving.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
After watching him in the last couple of matches, I have the feeling that Choi has turned the corner and now starting to understand the game. He will never be a world beater but a useful ruck /forward, quite possibly

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Got his hands on many marking contests but just wouldn't stick due to the slippery conditions. He's reading the flight and contesting much better. Must stay in the side as the 2nd ruck option, even when nank returns

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Keeps playing. And has guaranteed a spot on next years list. 23 all of next year.

Big men take time. Back up forwards/rucks are rare as hens teeth.

If Sam Draper can get 450k a year without playing a game and be worth a reported second round pick at the trade table, by the end of next year Chol could be a very hand trade chip if he isn't getting regular game time but keeps progressing. Hawthorn, Carlton, the Dogs are all clubs that cold do with a Chol type.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I have a lot of time for Mabs. At training on Friday he went to the furthest supporters from the dressing rooms to the supporters who nobody went over to for autographs. When he got to us he had a chat to my 5 year old son about how to pronounce his name correctly :D

At the game, one think I noticed when he was forward was that he made good position for a down the line kick but most of the time we preferred to go shorter / sideways to open up a runner. WHen they did use him, he made a really good contest. Against the better teams applying more pressure in the midfield and with better defensive structure, using Mabs would be a good option.

I think there is definitely room in the side for Mabs when Jack is back. Having an extra marking target forward as well as the relief ruck will be important and he is the man for the job.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have a lot of time for Mabs. At training on Friday he went to the furthest supporters from the dressing rooms to the supporters who nobody went over to for autographs. When he got to us he had a chat to my 5 year old son about how to pronounce his name correctly :D

At the game, one think I noticed when he was forward was that he made good position for a down the line kick but most of the time we preferred to go shorter / sideways to open up a runner. WHen they did use him, he made a really good contest. Against the better teams applying more pressure in the midfield and with better defensive structure, using Mabs would be a good option.

I think there is definitely room in the side for Mabs when Jack is back. Having an extra marking target forward as well as the relief ruck will be important and he is the man for the job.

Imagine trying to defend against a forward line with Jack, Lynch, Chol going there some of the time and Dusty occasionally having rest forward. Mix in 3 pressuring small forwards capable of kicking goals and we present a bloody big headache for opposition sides.

DS

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Interesting decision to be made by the MC this week as I doubt we play both Chol and Soldo with Jack coming back, due to the fact it’s ment to be a wetting day. Soldo should be able to hold his own against either Mummy or Simpson in the ruck contests, however Chol may be able to ad a positive around the ground, both are playing as well as they ever have , is it good enough to remain in the team ?

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Keeps playing. And has guaranteed a spot on next years list. 23 all of next year.

Big men take time. Back up forwards/rucks are rare as hens teeth.

If Sam Draper can get 450k a year without playing a game and be worth a reported second round pick at the trade table, by the end of next year Chol could be a very hand trade chip if he isn't getting regular game time but keeps progressing. Hawthorn, Carlton, the Dogs are all clubs that cold do with a Chol type.
And Riewoldt won’t play forever.
I used to think Moore is the heir apparent but we now all know that it’s likely to be Chol.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Interesting decision to be made by the MC this week as I doubt we play both Chol and Soldo with Jack coming back, due to the fact it’s ment to be a wetting day. Soldo should be able to hold his own against either Mummy or Simpson in the ruck contests, however Chol may be able to ad a positive around the ground, both are playing as well as they ever have , is it good enough to remain in the team ?
Interesting indeed. Play Soldo as first ruck and have someone more competitive v Mummy ( but pretty useless around the ground) or have Chol play first ruck and be less competitive v Mummy but have a more mobile and efficient player around the ground.