English Premier League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

English Premier League threads [Merged]

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A big game for second placed Leeds United on Saturday night, they play Sheffield United who are two points behind them in 3rd place.

The wheels would have to fall off big time for Leeds to not at least make the playoffs.

The Peacocks must have a very good program at the moment, their under 23 side are on top 8 points clear in the Professional Development League. :clap

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
tigerman said:
A big game for second placed Leeds United on Saturday night, they play Sheffield United who are two points behind them in 3rd place.

The wheels would have to fall off big time for Leeds to not at least make the playoffs.

The Peacocks must have a very good program at the moment, their under 23 side are on top 8 points clear in the Professional Development League. :clap
Some intriguing results. So in the mid week games this week, Leeds, Sheff Utd and Norwich all won, keeping the pressure on each other for the top two automatic places and keep a gap between themselves and the rest. It looks as if it is down to those three fighting it out for the top two. Although with 9 matches to go, West Brom is still just within distance to challenge them if the top three were to lose their nerve - but the rubber band is stretching. Anyone below West Brom I think the best they can hope for is a playoff place.

Leeds spent big on a big name manager this year and it has paid off. The flipside was that he wanted a quality squad over quantity (being constrained by budget, it meant they had to downsize the squad). A high risk strategy over a 46 match season (not including Cup ties). Injuries are bound to happen and Leeds at times looked to be struggling to have the depth to cover them. But have hit a decent run of form again in recent weeks.

Elland Road will be rocking for the Yorkshire Derby vs Sheff United, which is a genuine 6 pointer match (to use an old cliche).

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
The Premier League looks like going down to the wire. 4 or 5 games to go. It's Manchester City's title to lose. I honestly don't think city will drop any points but time will tell :nailbiting

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
ThePercies said:
The Premier League looks like going down to the wire. 4 or 5 games to go. It's Manchester City's title to lose. I honestly don't think city will drop any points but time will tell :nailbiting

:nailbiting

Leeds United are in a dog fight to finish in the top 2 in the Championship League for automatic elevation into the Premier League.
They're 2nd, 4 points behind Norwich, and 3 points ahead of Sheffield United with 4 games to go. Two of those game are against sides that are currently last, and 4 from the bottom, with another of the games against a side who are about mid table.
I think the crucial game will the 2nd last one, a home game against Aston Villa who have left their run too late, but have won 8 games in a row.

I don't know why i picked Leeds as my team when i was a kid, but think it might've been because they were feared and hated, just like the Mighty Tigers.
It will be great if we can get back into the Premier Leauge, which is where the Mighty Peacocks belong.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Panthera Tigris said:
Some intriguing results. So in the mid week games this week, Leeds, Sheff Utd and Norwich all won, keeping the pressure on each other for the top two automatic places and keep a gap between themselves and the rest. It looks as if it is down to those three fighting it out for the top two. Although with 9 matches to go, West Brom is still just within distance to challenge them if the top three were to lose their nerve - but the rubber band is stretching. Anyone below West Brom I think the best they can hope for is a playoff place.

Leeds spent big on a big name manager this year and it has paid off. The flipside was that he wanted a quality squad over quantity (being constrained by budget, it meant they had to downsize the squad). A high risk strategy over a 46 match season (not including Cup ties). Injuries are bound to happen and Leeds at times looked to be struggling to have the depth to cover them. But have hit a decent run of form again in recent weeks.

Elland Road will be rocking for the Yorkshire Derby vs Sheff United, which is a genuine 6 pointer match (to use an old cliche).

I hadn't noticed your post, just 4 game to go now.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
tigerman said:
I hadn't noticed your post, just 4 game to go now.
tigerman said:
:nailbiting

Leeds United are in a dog fight to finish in the top 2 in the Championship League for automatic elevation into the Premier League.
They're 2nd, 4 points behind Norwich, and 3 points ahead of Sheffield United with 4 games to go. Two of those game are against sides that are currently last, and 4 from the bottom, with another of the games against a side who are about mid table.
I think the crucial game will the 2nd last one, a home game against Aston Villa who have left their run too late, but have won 8 games in a row.

I don't know why i picked Leeds as my team when i was a kid, but think it might've been because they were feared and hated, just like the Mighty Tigers.
It will be great if we can get back into the Premier Leauge, which is where the Mighty Peacocks belong.
I agree the game against Villa is a huge clash and is key.

In terms of how it will play out. Norwich I think will hold 1st, although their stellar form has run out of puff a bit. Leeds are holding their own. Form nowhere near the early season form. But doing just enough to hold on, for now. Sheff Utd had looked really good up until a few weeks ago. Thought they were going to get away from Leeds and claim 2nd. But like Norwich, have run out of puff a touch. West Brom were my tip to win the division. Right up until January I thought this was the case. But they have looked a bit off for a couple of months now. Villa, like you say are coming home like a train and are certainly the form side. But a bit late for them to claim any higher a position than 5th i’d suggest. Bristol City probably the 2nd best side on form, also coming home strongly and likely to finish 6th.

In short, I really hope Leeds hold on for 2nd. Because my feeling is that Villa and Bristol City are bringing such good form into the end of the season, they may well run over the top of their higher ranked play off opponents - whoever that may be.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Panthera Tigris said:
I agree the game against Villa is a huge clash and is key.

In terms of how it will play out. Norwich I think will hold 1st, although their stellar form has run out of puff a bit. Leeds are holding their own. Form nowhere near the early season form. But doing just enough to hold on, for now. Sheff Utd had looked really good up until a few weeks ago. Thought they were going to get away from Leeds and claim 2nd. But like Norwich, have run out of puff a touch. West Brom were my tip to win the division. Right up until January I thought this was the case. But they have looked a bit off for a couple of months now. Villa, like you say are coming home like a train and are certainly the form side. But a bit late for them to claim any higher a position than 5th i’d suggest. Bristol City probably the 2nd best side on form, also coming home strongly and likely to finish 6th.

In short, I really hope Leeds hold on for 2nd. Because my feeling is that Villa and Bristol City are bringing such good form into the end of the season, they may well run over the top of their higher ranked play off opponents - whoever that may be.

They couldn't have planned the fixture any better if they tried. Leeds play Villa in their 2nd last match, and Norwich play them in their last game.

Depending on how the cookie crumbles, Leeds could finish top of the Table :nailbiting

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Ian4 said:
Spurs v City, what an unbelievable game. My heart is still pumping after that

Understandable, rare thing for Spurs to be involved in an important game :hihi

meanwhile, Aston Villa & Nott Forest have still won more CL trophies than Citeh

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Leeds 1, Wigan 2.

Wigan had a man sent off in the 14th minute when the score was 0-0, unbelievable :mad: :mad:

Leeds will struggle to get automatic promotion now.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
tigerman said:
Leeds 1, Wigan 2.

Wigan had a man sent off in the 14th minute when the score was 0-0, unbelievable :mad: :mad:

Leeds will struggle to get automatic promotion now.
Yep. Totally bottled it with that loss. Particularly with Sheff Utd taking full advantage of the situation by winning their match.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Panthera Tigris said:
Yep. Totally bottled it with that loss. Particularly with Sheff Utd taking full advantage of the situation by winning their match.
And the shithouse Easter period has continued for Leeds, losing at Brentford, while Sheff Utd win their match. Leeds totally lost the plot and will now go to playoffs where i'd suggest it's unlikely they have the form to pull off victory and promotion.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Panthera Tigris said:
And the sh!thouse Easter period has continued for Leeds, losing at Brentford, while Sheff Utd win their match. Leeds totally lost the plot and will now go to playoffs where i'd suggest it's unlikely they have the form to pull off victory and promotion.

Definitely looks like it PT. Especially now that the Blades play bottom side Ipswich for a 4 points buffer.

Canaries and Blades in the EPL next season. Hopefully Leeds fights its way through the playoffs as 3rd team.

Prince William will be keeping an eye on his Villans too. ;D

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
TigerForce said:
Definitely looks like it PT. Especially now that the Blades play bottom side Ipswich for a 4 points buffer.

Canaries and Blades in the EPL next season. Hopefully Leeds fights its way through the playoffs as 3rd team.

Prince William will be keeping an eye on his Villans too. ;D
Not a chance to go up as 3rd placed. Villa raging hot favourite. And whoever finishes 6th I reckon will be second favourite, based on momentum and form.

And wait for a dour mid table finish next year - with Beilsa to part ways mid way through the season, with another decade of mediocrity to follow after one season of enjoyment and hope.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Panthera Tigris said:
Not a chance to go up as 3rd placed. Villa raging hot favourite. And whoever finishes 6th I reckon will be second favourite, based on momentum and form.

And wait for a dour mid table finish next year - with Beilsa to part ways mid way through the season, with another decade of mediocrity to follow after one season of enjoyment and hope.

I share your pessimism, Leeds are heart breakers much like Richmond used to be.

With Leeds recent record of sacking Managers and Bielsa's record of quitting, a parting of the ways could come at anytime.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Leeds 1, Aston Villa 1, Leeds season is getting crazier.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=515142

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
tigerman said:
Leeds 1, Aston Villa 1, Leeds season is getting crazier.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=515142
These two could well meet at Wembley in a few weeks time. If so, would be one of the biggest, most anticipated encounters at Wembley for some time. Although, I'm not entirely confident Leeds will get that far. They've bottled April so badly now, that there is little indication they have the form to win much of anything. The campaign looks to have run out of puff.