English Premier League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

English Premier League threads [Merged]

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
marella jube said:
Taking my Derby glasses off, i do have some sympathy for Leeds (yes, really). The play-offs are cruel on the 3rd placed team, especially in a tight promotion race. I prefer the old '1st 3 up', no play-offs. Easier on the heart!

So, Wembley v Villa who, like Leeds, comfortably handled us in the regular season. Doubt lightning will strike 2x but thankful we have an extended time to get over today & prepare.

Well done to Derby and Lampard, he has done a fantastic job in his first year as manager, and certainly pulled all the right strings against against Leeds.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
marella jube said:
Taking my Derby glasses off, i do have some sympathy for Leeds (yes, really). The play-offs are cruel on the 3rd placed team, especially in a tight promotion race. I prefer the old '1st 3 up', no play-offs. Easier on the heart!

So, Wembley v Villa who, like Leeds, comfortably handled us in the regular season. Doubt lightning will strike 2x but thankful we have an extended time to get over today & prepare.
The playoffs certainly advantage teams coming in with momentum, as opposed to who placed higher. And I'd say that is true of both semi finals. West Brom were very solid for most of the season, got themselves into great spot, but were patchy over the final 2-3 months. Ditto for Leeds. Leeds probably actually stronger than West Brom for longer, with the wheels really falling off over the final month.

On the other hand, Derby and even more so, Villa were full of momentum over the closing months.

Unfortunately I'm resigned to the default of a dour mid table finish for Leeds next year, with Beilsa and the club to part ways mid way through the season. Back to this default for the next decade, after a flash of hope this season. :(

Fair to say, Leeds probably overperformed, with the squad available to them. Unless there is serious investment (which I'm not sure they have the financials to do), they could well be mid table. Fulham coming down will be strong. Bristol and Forest were really strong this year and are spending up big, but just missed playoffs. Stoke were tipped to win the division and underperformed. I wouldn't expect them to underperform like that again. Whoever misses out of Derby and Villa will be strong. No. I think Leeds blew a chance they won't get for a while. And *smile* me, going from 6pts above Sheff Utd (auto promotion), to cough and splutter over the final month to 6pts behind into 3rd spot - a 12pt turn around! *smile* me........ ::)

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I was under the impression that soccer never changed their rules but here are some new rules coming in:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6371766-premier-league-six-confirmed-rule-changes-to-come-into-effect-in-2019-20/partners/35927

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
jb03 said:
I was under the impression that soccer never changed their rules but here are some new rules coming in:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6371766-premier-league-six-confirmed-rule-changes-to-come-into-effect-in-2019-20/partners/35927

Penalties remain to be the laughter of the game. Now goalkeepers can't move an inch. Might as well gift the player the goal already.

VAR is laughable enough.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Penalties remain to be the laughter of the game. Now goalkeepers can't move an inch. Might as well gift the player the goal already.

VAR is laughable enough.

I didn't quite get the penalty one. I assume it is to stop what the Sydney goalkeeper was doing in the A-League grand final (which i thought was great and wondered why more keepers didn't do it).

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
jb03 said:
I didn't quite get the penalty one. I assume it is to stop what the Sydney goalkeeper was doing in the A-League grand final (which i thought was great and wondered why more keepers didn't do it).

Didn't see it but penalty frees are a gimmee nowadays. GK has barely any chance to save it given how big the goals are and his distance to the ball.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Villa promoted after deserved 2-1 win v Derby. Rams tried hard but only got going in the last 1/2 hour once 0-2 & after a couple of substitutions. Intriguing off season in prospect. We'll be ok IF we can keep the manager & support staff..

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
ThePercies said:
Liverpool or Spurs to win the Champions League Final this weekend? Peoples thoughts ??

they will deservedly start favourites, but after the drama of the quarter and semi finals when no one gave us a chance, I am confident we can do it. And we have to do it now they we're there. Kane is back and will come off the bench, which is huge for us.

pubs in Melbourne will be packed. I know Oz Spurs sold out the crafty squire in 48 hours. I've decided not to go there. going to somewhere a little quieter in the burbs.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
marella jube said:
Villa promoted after deserved 2-1 win v Derby. Rams tried hard but only got going in the last 1/2 hour once 0-2 & after a couple of substitutions. Intriguing off season in prospect. We'll be ok IF we can keep the manager & support staff..

Good to see some clubs fighting for promotion from the Champo that are more associated with the PL than those they are replacing.

Leeds however pretty much bottled their season which was unfortunate.

Norwich City back for another round and good to see one of the Sheffield clubs back in the EPL, I thought it would've been Wednesday that would've made it back first after their past couple of seasons but its United instead which is a great effort for them, climbing back from league 1.

On another note the pain continues for Sunderland who not only managed to bottle automatic promotion back to the Champo over the closing weeks in a similar vein as Leeds did but also chucked away a 1-0 lead against Charlton in the playoff at Wembley to score themselves another season down in League 1.

The longer you're down there without a benefactor tossing in the Bazillions to get you out the longer in the mire you may remain.

Sunderland have become the poster child of what can happen to a large club when the owners fail to put in the cash required to sustain them at the top level, the debts mount, the quality players leave, quality players cannot be signed ahead of London clubs and the team goes into free fall.

The pain is real for both Leeds Utd and Black Cats fans right now I am sure.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Gutted that Villa went up. Terry is such a flog it’s impossible to put into words.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Midsy said:
Gutted that Villa went up. Terry is such a flog it’s impossible to put into words.

Birmingham or West Brom fan Midsy (I think they are local rivals arent they?) or just hate Terry ;)

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
craig said:
Birmingham or West Brom fan Midsy (I think they are local rivals arent they?) or just hate Terry ;)

AFC Wimbledon.

Have hated Terry since the beginning of his career and his antics during it and after it have only compounded my dislike.

I hate Chelsea big time, and he epitomises everything that disgusts me.

I loved Lampard and Stevie G at the beginning of their careers but I grew to dislike Lampard, just because of the Chelsea thing. Now that he is at Derby, I can at least tolerate him.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Fair call man :fing32

Isnt that where the Wombles come from ;D

Glad they managed to stay up in league 1 champ

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
craig said:
Fair call man :fing32

Isnt that where the Wombles come from ;D

Glad they managed to stay up in league 1 champ

The great escape - in Wally we trust.

The Wombles of Wimbledon.

aed1eaf7992bd8ebc9b8ed77c3a34d15.jpg

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Well done to Liverpool. Despite it not being the best game, it was great to see Liverpool get some silverware for a fantastic season.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
MB78 said:
Well done to Liverpool. Despite it not being the best game, it was great to see Liverpool get some silverware for a fantastic season.

Yes.
Liverpool deserved some silverware.
On win, loss they were the best side in the EPL in the season just completed.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigerman said:
Liverpool deserved some silverware.
On win, loss they were the best side in the EPL in the season just completed.

yeah even as a Spurs fan I have to admit this.

As for the game, I thought the early penalty ruined it. was it a pen? marginal at best. But I reckon it shellshocked us and it took us 60 minutes to get into the game. and we had our chances to get back into it, but didn't take them. Starting Kane over Moura was a huge mistake.