English Premier League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

English Premier League threads [Merged]

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Scottish fitba corner -Ange sewed up the league title for the Hoops in Scotland - drew with Dundee to win it and spanked Motherwell 6:0 to round out the season. Amazing! Top two go into the Champions league next year so Rangers will be there too.

Rogic has played his last game for Celtic, maybe looking for a big payday in the Middle East or Asia before retirement.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

tigerlandishome

Carna Tiges
Jun 4, 2007
Perth
Scottish fitba corner -Ange sewed up the league title for the Hoops in Scotland - drew with Dundee to win it and spanked Motherwell 6:0 to round out the season. Amazing! Top two go into the Champions league next year so Rangers will be there too.

Rogic has played his last game for Celtic, maybe looking for a big payday in the Middle East or Asia before retirement.
Hail Hail!

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Motherwell. Geez. They have a population of 32,000.

Could be worse I guess. Ross County play in a town of only 5,500.

• Haha

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
They have 2 games that aren't too bad. Brighton at home and away at Brentford.

Burnley are away to Spurs and Villa and then Newcastle at home.

Reckon Everton will stay up, they will win at least 1 of their next 2 home games (Brentford and Palace).

Leeds simply must win on Saturday or they may well be back in the Championship.
Well picked up a point, not the 3 that they really needed. Still in the balance. Having said that Burnley have a game in hand.

tigerlandishome

Carna Tiges
Jun 4, 2007
Perth
Aberdeen. I’d argue they’re as big if not bigger than those two. Generally perform better as well. Not this year however.
They have dropped down the order a little lately, but they should definitely be looking to restore themselves as the next best outside of Glasgow. BTW my aunty and uncle were from Tillydrone, so it would be nice to see Aberdeen on the improve.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
COYS indeed. North London is ours. What an atmosphere. Stadium looked superb.

Give Conte some cash in the summer and look out. Huge last two games.
Got the required win this morning - albeit not totally convincing.
Still a chance.
COYS

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Aberdeen. I’d argue they’re as big if not bigger than those two. Generally perform better as well. Not this year however.
Having spent some time there going along to a few Hearts matches, I'd argue Hearts and Aberdeen are probably on a fairly even footing if one was to assess the largely subjective, "who is the larger club." In the modern era, the two have often been fighting it out for third place. And there was one year in the early 2000s where Hearts actually finished second in the Premiership (between Rangers and Celtic) and won the Scottish cup final. Having said this, Hearts had a shocking couple of seasons recently where they spent too much money, had to fire sell a whole bunch of players and ended up relegated for a year. But they have bounced back to their perennial spot in the league quite quickly.

Hibs, although they are bitter cross town rivals with Hearts and historically were on a fairly level pegging. In the modern era have dropped away from the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen. Although they did manage one Scottish Cup win in recent years.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Having spent some time there going along to a few Hearts matches, I'd argue Hearts and Aberdeen are probably on a fairly even footing if one was to assess the largely subjective, "who is the larger club." In the modern era, the two have often been fighting it out for third place. And there was one year in the early 2000s where Hearts actually finished second in the Premiership (between Rangers and Celtic) and won the Scottish cup final. Having said this, Hearts had a shocking couple of seasons recently where they spent too much money, had to fire sell a whole bunch of players and ended up relegated for a year. But they have bounced back to their perennial spot in the league quite quickly.

Hibs, although they are bitter cross town rivals with Hearts and historically were on a fairly level pegging. In the modern era have dropped away from the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen. Although they did manage one Scottish Cup win in recent years.

Talking about Hibs a bit of a funny story (though not really about football). I was in the UK last month, and we hiked to the top of Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh. We were about halfway up and looking across the city and my sister says "Look there's Celtics ground". I laughed and said, only if you travel about 50m west to a different city :)

She was looking at Easter Road, and said "well it was green so thought it was Celtic". The term "Glasgow Celtic" obviously lost on her :D

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Talking about Hibs a bit of a funny story (though not really about football). I was in the UK last month, and we hiked to the top of Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh. We were about halfway up and looking across the city and my sister says "Look there's Celtics ground". I laughed and said, only if you travel about 50m west to a different city :)

She was looking at Easter Road, and said "well it was green so thought it was Celtic". The term "Glasgow Celtic" obviously lost on her :D
Hibs actually are the original Irish Catholic club. And in the early years were unashamedly exclusively so. Very powerful club too in those earlier times. Celtic - although it's true they had a stong Irish Catholic influence - I believe weren’t necessarily founded as an exclusively ethnically Irish Catholic club like Hibs were, but kind of evolved that way over time. They were actually like the smaller cousin to Edinburgh's Hibs. Obviously things have evolved since then!

Dundee United also started out as Dundee Hibernian and wore Irish green shirts with white shorts in their earlier times. Unlike Edinburgh's Hibernian and Glasgow's Celtic, Dundee Hibernian didn't really embrace this kind of sectarian foundation long term. And renamed themselves (to Dundee United) and changed colours from the 1920s in order to attract a wider support and player base. Firstly changed to a white with black strip, then to orange and black in the 1960s. Who could have foreseen the irony of an Irish Catholic club eventually wearing orange! I love all these funny quirks of social history.

Actually, on a slight different tangent. I reckon the two football stadiums in Edinburgh are great little boutique stadiums. Both a Hibs and Hearts are similar kind of models. Perfect layout if you’re after that 20k type of capacity. Four separate very steep grandstands, small boundary lines where the crowd is so intimately close to the action - nearly on top of it - no matter if you are front row or back row. Deepdale at Preston North End in England also a very similar looking stadium layout to Easter Road (Hibs) and Tynecastle (Hearts). If we are building any new boutique stadiums in Australia of this kind of size for the likes of Western United, or a purpose built ground for Brisbane Roar. These grounds are a very good model to follow. In the relative world of stadium design I don’t think these four grandstand style of stadiums would be overly expensive either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
The Arse beaten at Newcastle - tick
Spurs now “only” need a point at Norwich - but it ain't over till it’s over

COYS

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Arse beaten at Newcastle - tick
Spurs now “only” need a point at Norwich - but it ain't over till it’s over

COYS

Surely even Spurs can't be that Spursy to lose this now.

Conte has really made a difference in terms of mental toughness with Spurs, if they hand on to Kane and recruit well they'll be challenging next season.

The Arse have definitely improved - but I don't like Arteta taking the easy way out in the last game, blaming the ref for the Holding send-off... nope, it was a send-off and you gave your players an easy out. Newcastle are good now under Eddy Howe, but that was a champions league spot if you won it and they showed no fight.