English Premier League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

English Premier League threads [Merged]

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Cracking goals, especially the first one.
Early days. But thoughts on Leed's start to the season?

The Man U drubbing was not dissimilar to the opening of their campaign against Liverpool last year. The score didn't tell the full story. Very much the epitome of their high risk, high reward game style. And in those instances it didn't come off.

Against Everton at Elland Road, Leeds were probably the better side, but came away with a 2-2 draw.

I thought they were a touch disappointing against Burnley on the weekend. May have been lucky to get out of it with a 1-1 draw to be honest, against a side no one really rates that highly. Can't really get a read on it. I was optimistic at the beginning of the season, after their great first year back, last season. But have this fear that perhaps the fairy tale run has come to an end and the other sides have begun to work them out and expose the high risk elements of their game. Haven't looked as convincing as last season. Could be slugging it out in the bottom quarter for survival.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Early days. But thoughts on Leed's start to the season?

The Man U drubbing was not dissimilar to the opening of their campaign against Liverpool last year. The score didn't tell the full story. Very much the epitome of their high risk, high reward game style. And in those instances it didn't come off.

Against Everton at Elland Road, Leeds were probably the better side, but came away with a 2-2 draw.

I thought they were a touch disappointing against Burnley on the weekend. May have been lucky to get out of it with a 1-1 draw to be honest, against a side no one really rates that highly. Can't really get a read on it. I was optimistic at the beginning of the season, after their great first year back, last season. But have this fear that perhaps the fairy tale run has come to an end and the other sides have begun to work them out and expose the high risk elements of their game. Haven't looked as convincing as last season. Could be slugging it out in the bottom quarter for survival.
I was surprised that they didn't sign many new players for this season. Firpo is a new signing who I don't think has played yet, so hopefully he can add something. There's talk of Dan James from Man U signing on, perhaps as early as today.
I'm a big fan of Meslier, he'll be a world class keeper, if not already.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I was surprised that they didn't sign many new players for this season. Firpo is a new signing who I don't think has played yet, so hopefully he can add something. There's talk of Dan James from Man U signing on, perhaps as early as today.
I'm a big fan of Meslier, he'll be a world class keeper, if not already.
Yes I think what you point out is perhaps representative of the strategy of attempting to do things financially sustainably. Employing Beilsa as manager was indeed an inspired move. And I'd suggest a disproportionate size of their budget has gone into that.

But you can see them not really going down the rabbit hole of trying to keep up with the Joneses of continually paying over the odds for players. Which is a self fulfilling death spiral for the overall financial health of the game in England. But on the flip side of that. Their competitiveness on the park will plateau at this top level. And it will predictably see them treading water.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, big fan of Leeds and Bielsa who will continue to overacheive in the PL... amazing they did so well last season and didn't yoyo back down into the Championship, or at least finish in the bottom third. I see them doing similar this season, will play attractive football, ship some goals but score a lot too. Also shout out to Patrick Bamford, had a lot of doubters but there's no doubt he's a class PL striker.

I see Postecoglou as a similar type of manager to Bielsa - has a vision for how football can be played which he'll stick to regardless of individual results, which means you'll sometimes lose to more pragmatic sides. Not saying Ange is at Bielsa's level yet though of course.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, big fan of Leeds and Bielsa who will continue to overacheive in the PL... amazing they did so well last season and didn't yoyo back down into the Championship, or at least finish in the bottom third. I see them doing similar this season, will play attractive football, ship some goals but score a lot too. Also shout out to Patrick Bamford, had a lot of doubters but there's no doubt he's a class PL striker.

I see Postecoglou as a similar type of manager to Bielsa - has a vision for how football can be played which he'll stick to regardless of individual results, which means you'll sometimes lose to more pragmatic sides. Not saying Ange is at Bielsa's level yet though of course.

Re: 2010/2011 English Premier League

[

i'm similar. i've always been interested in the EPL and watch a lot of games, especially before and after daylight savings... but i'm way more interested in the a-league because i see my team play live every second week.

like barnzy, i have never chosen an EPL team. i have always kept an eye on the teams where aussies play and have intimated at times that i follow liverpool. i don't really, i just enjoyed the city when i visited 7 years ago... plus i don't wanna be categorised as a bandwagon jumper (although i guess the reds aren't big 4 team anymore).

i have always favoured teams over others for stupid reasons. eg. i hate chelsea because they're toffs. i prefer man city over manure because of their underdog status in that town. i did like hull because they're the tigers. i like blackpool because i have family there (as well as southhampton). i quite like arsenal because i admire the way they play...

but i need to pull my finger out and chose a team. i'm seriously considering everton... but if anyone out there is willing to provide me with a convincing argument as to why i should support their team, well i'm all ears...
Despite being Leeds as my undoubted no.1. Also intrigued to see how Brentford perform and will treat them as my second team, that I have a soft spot for. A club even more than Leeds, trying to find innovative ways of doing things, in order to not partake in the debauchery and grotesqueness of ever higher, eyewatering costs and debt that undermines the long term health of the sport. Very much a club based on the principal of living within one's means. The Bees have started very positively too.

If Ian is looking for a team to adopt, the Bees making their first top flight appearance in 70 odd years might be worth looking at. Until only the last year or so, they were still playing in their quaint little stadium that was very much an entrenched part of the local community fabric. In some ways, a bit sad to see them move 800m up the road to their new stadium. Griffin Park really was a nostalgic part of a past era.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
How old is that post? I choose Spurs many years ago. I saw my first Spurs game in 2011, so it must have been a couple of years prior
Apologies Ian, must have accidently clicked on it fat fingering the phone. Didn't realise I got onto an early page until I just reread it then.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Seeing as it's as rare as hens teeth can't let this moment pass. Villa's win at old trafford was magnificent. Truly epic. Bruno's miss a total pisser. Couldn't believe my eyes. Maybe there is a Buddha...
Brentford travelling well.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Liverpool flying in the League & Champions League, flogging Porto 1-5 away this morning

Real Madrid at home lost to Moldovian minnow Sherriff Tiraspol 2-1 :)

Citeh lost to PSG 2 zip & face Liverpool @ Anfield on Monday morning

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Seeing as it's as rare as hens teeth can't let this moment pass. Villa's win at old trafford was magnificent. Truly epic. Bruno's miss a total pisser. Couldn't believe my eyes. Maybe there is a Buddha...
Brentford travelling well.

yeah couldn't believe that, but it was a great win by Villa.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Manu still struggling to put teams away.

North of the border Ange hits a rough patch with Celtic, got stonked 4:0 by Bayer Leverkeusen at Celtic Park this week. Injuries and the lack of depth with squad really coming home now, plus Ange's refusal to change tactics when undermanned... well that's his way. Hope they give him time to see it through.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Manu still struggling to put teams away.

North of the border Ange hits a rough patch with Celtic, got stonked 4:0 by Bayer Leverkeusen at Celtic Park this week. Injuries and the lack of depth with squad really coming home now, plus Ange's refusal to change tactics when undermanned... well that's his way. Hope they give him time to see it through.
Yeah, good to see Man U off their game. If Gunnar can't win some silverware this season with that star studded team something's up.

Hwang's goals were sweet. Likeable looking dude.

Spurs tonight. High expectations Villa will perform again.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, good to see Man U off their game. If Gunnar can't win some silverware this season with that star studded team something's up.

Yeah, I think it's clear OGS is not at the same level as Guardiola/Klopp etc. Squad is pretty damn good though.

If you have Kayo Livingston vs Celtic tonight 9:55pm.