English Premier League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

English Premier League threads [Merged]

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Fair few matches postponed due to Covid. Estimated 25% Premier League players not yet fully vaccinated. Hard to feel sorry if clubs/players whinge later about fixture pile up.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Handy win for Leeds (vs Burnley) to take a little pressure off. Sure, it was only a win against fellow strugglers. But simply cannot afford to drop those matches if the team is to survive. It’s essentially a six point game in that scenario when it’s a battle between teams in, or close to the relegation zone.

Still struggling with injuries. Small squad with little depth to cover injuries to first string players. Hopefully beginning to get some players back and then be able to pinch some games against middle ranking sides to consolidate their place in this league.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Handy win for Leeds (vs Burnley) to take a little pressure off. Sure, it was only a win against fellow strugglers. But simply cannot afford to drop those matches if the team is to survive. It’s essentially a six point game in that scenario when it’s a battle between teams in, or close to the relegation zone.

Still struggling with injuries. Small squad with little depth to cover injuries to first string players. Hopefully beginning to get some players back and then be able to pinch some games against middle ranking sides to consolidate their place in this league.
Do Leeds still have the infamous “Crew” fan group ?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, I think bottom three is almost set. Watford might drop if Newcastle spend a million squids and somehow revive their season, but it's going to be a hard transfer period to get quality players in at the Toon.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Do Leeds still have the infamous “Crew” fan group ?
As far as I can tell, they still exist. In the past decade, there have been Leeds vs Millwall hooligan clashes when the teams met in League One and Championship fixtures. Plus some other infamous incidents against the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich Town.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
As far as I can tell, they still exist. In the past decade, there have been Leeds vs Millwall hooligan clashes when the teams met in League One and Championship fixtures. Plus some other infamous incidents against the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich Town.
Hmmm. Yes Millwall have a notoriously bad fan base.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My Scouser BIL tells me they're still the worst.
Wouldn’t surprise me.

There’s still a lot of crazy stuff goes on over there. When I was living in Scotland albeit in the 90’s, I was mates with some fanatical Rangers and Hibs fans. The stuff they’d get up to. One was in the Hibs crew. He had scars all over him from organised fights including huge stab wounds on his stomach. He carried a knife with him everywhere. At all times. He showed me the sharpened pennies they threw at games.

Crazy stuff. Still a lot of angst in Scotland despite the improvements.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Wouldn’t surprise me.

There’s still a lot of crazy stuff goes on over there. When I was living in Scotland albeit in the 90’s, I was mates with some fanatical Rangers and Hibs fans. The stuff they’d get up to. One was in the Hibs crew. He had scars all over him from organised fights including huge stab wounds on his stomach. He carried a knife with him everywhere. At all times. He showed me the sharpened pennies they threw at games.

It's like the Barmy Army on crack. Sad to see middle aged dickheads getting involved.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Wouldn’t surprise me.

Australia has a lot of bogan losers. The UK has as many, if not more.

Yeah, when I compare the grim parts of Australian cities and towns to their British equivalents. Sure, our broad acre housing commission areas and inner city 1960s tower blocks undeniably have their issues. But the level of deprivation and destitution accompanied by the degree of aggressive, thuggish belligerence is just on another level of intensity, concentration and pure volume across the UK’s countless council estates.

That and the fact many of these estates are just surrounded by grim crumbling post industrial rust belt, with not a lot of interest around to pass the time. Just seems to be the perfect ingredients to breed football hooliganism as a casual pastime.

Australian society just doesn’t have that degree of gruffness to be able to breed a culture of organised football hooliganism. And if we did, they’d just be poor imitations.

Having said this, organised football hooliganism - although it still exists in the UK - is far less prevalent in the current day than it was in it’s ‘golden years’ of the 1970s and 80s. And you’d have seen the tail end of that in the 1990s, with the infamous Hibs hooligan firms being born out of the destitution of the particularly grim, grey dingy Leith council estates, that were barely liveable heroin dens. A lot of those estates have since been demolished.

Eastern Europe, particularly Russia, seems to be the epicentre of organised football hooliganism now. I'd imagine the depressing physical and social dynamics in the crumbing Soviet era housing estates (which house the lion's share of the urban population) are the perfect breeding ground. The Ruski hooligans view British hooligans as soft now - yesterday's men.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
While in the UK I lived near Cambridge for a while, and Cambridge United just smashed Newcastle!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
While in the UK I lived near Cambridge for a while, and Cambridge United just smashed Newcastle!
Yep, not looking good for the Geordies. Also heard Kidderminster (???) beat Reading.

Last edited: