Essendon face possible training probe [Merged]

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
There is one person that could clear everyone. That person is Dank. I find it interesting that for all the bleating about clearing their names, not one player, not one essendrugs coach, not one essendrugs official and not one individual in the afl hierarchy has taken him to court to reveal what he knows. Why?

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Legends of 2017 said:
There is one person that could clear everyone. That person is Dank. I find it interesting that for all the bleating about clearing their names, not one player, not one essendrugs coach, not one essendrugs official and not one individual in the afl hierarchy has taken him to court to reveal what he knows. Why?
Again, the only possible conclusions are gross incompetence or corruption. A grossly incompetent organisation would not know what Was going on. Once the competent people took over, they would do exactly what you say, compel him to tell all.

A corrupt organisation might destroy records, cover up their paper trail and cloudy the waters with obfuscations such as the “we didn’t know what he was up to” defence. They would never compel Anyone involved to tell all in court. What would that person say? I know what happened, here it is and they knew exactly what I was doing the whole time. In fact, they told me to do it.

Much better to keep him out of court.

willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Broken Hill
Legends of 2017 said:
A very pertinent question Ledge.
Probably only one answer. They wouldn't like the truth to come out if Dank spilled the beans.
They're better off claiming they were innocent dupes taking "nothing performance enhancing"

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Legends of 2017 said:
Dank doesn't really know.

And all players know that Dank doesn't really know.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

It's Tiger Time!
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
It's surprising that they didn't try to claim that they were using homeopathic remedies. Easier to defend as it would be WADA compliant and have no long-term (or short-term) health consequences for the players.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Really enjoying EFC rolling Geelong. Makes Scott angry and gives the Druggies a false sense of ability when we meet them at Nightmare on Punt Rd

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
TOT70 said:
Bottom line here is that the club, possibly with AFL guidance, chose to go down the path of denial of wrong-doing, deflection of responsibility and mitigation of risk to the club. By doing so, they minimised the club's punishment with their own governing authority but threw all the individuals, players, coaches, footy managers, sports scientists and doctors under the ASADA/ WADA bus.

How a rational person could possibly conclude that destroying evidene and pleading ignorance would fly as a defence is ridiculous.

No fair-minded judicial body could possibly conclude that an organisation, in a professional sporting environment, turning over tens of millions of dollars every year, would approve a scheme whereby their most valuable resource, their players, would be subjected to thousands of injections WITHOUT the organistion's management and governing body knowing what chemicals were being used.

On the off-chance that the judicial enquiry DID conclude that this could happen, the only possible justifications for this conclusion would be that the organisation was either grossly incompetent or corrupt. After all, they approved a regime of thousands of injections for their most valuable resource and kept no records. How does that work?

It was always a laughable defence.

The only possible reason for the player's punishments is that the club protected itself, reduced its own punishment to a minimum and threw all the individuals under the bus. No-one but the governing board of the Essendon football club is responsible for the punishment meted out to the players.

Its playing group should have been given immediate free agency status. It shoud have lost its blockbuster games. At the very least, it should have played for no points for at least two years and then had to start again from scratch, not with half its playing group intact and a number 1 pick.

Perhaps the players were as innocent as is claimed. This is not an unreasonable assumption, players at many clubs would no doubt have reacted in a similar way. They should have been smart enough to recognise that if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is but that is another matter.

If the players and coaches were duped, then this does not make the whole thing go away. It makes the club infinitely more liable.
With all due respect this has been done 1000 times the players have and continue to be educated in the wada code , no one was duped apart from the Australian sporting public ,the players were willing participants apart from a couple of dissenters, the players got of easy, the club got of easier.

The AFl is. Disgrace of an rganisation in the FIFA mold, fifa are corruptover money deals but when it comes to the integrity of the game they are probably one of the leading organisations who act and act decicevely

I can’t say that for the Olympic movement or to be honest any Australian sporting body, we are soft soft soft on cheats

We continually point out other countries yet never ever look in our own back yard, we have had medal swimmers post rio test positive yet the silence is deafening, look at retirements post rio to work out who, we then reward cheats with media gigs, hello mark Bosnich, mark Thompson et al

The players were never ever duped, they thought they had found a loophole with the consent forms, everyone from the bootstudder up should have got 4 years, how their club doctor is still accredited to work with a sporting team is a greater injustice to sport in this country, and a slap in the face to all sport loving Australians

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Legends of 2017 said:
The why is the evidence would expose their lies

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
nqtiger said:
The why is the evidence would expose their lies
My thoughts exactly. That's why I have absolutely no sympathy for any of those punished. They got off lightly but still pleading innocence. They knew exactly what they were doing.

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Legends of 2017 said:
My thoughts exactly. That's why I have absolutely no sympathy for any of those punished. They got off lightly but still pleading innocence. They knew exactly what they were doing.
The Australian media is still pleading their innocence, I have a saying

We are Australians whiter than white, it’s only other countries athletes who cheat

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Interesting interview with Jobe Watson on SEN this morning. He seems to imply that he now thinks they were given a prohibited substance: “I think that we exhausted every possible avenue that we could legally to try and exonerate ourselves because we believed we weren’t guilty and that was our belief from the moment the accusations were there right up until all the evidence we saw against us at the final CAS hearing.”

http://aflnation.com.au/2018/05/23/essendon-didnt-do-their-job/

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
We are still yet to see any of the players really grilled, players as in players in the scandal not footy players, although they are players in that too. I'm talking really sat down and being asked the hard detailed questions, Leigh Sales, Sarah Ferguson 4-corners style. Its never happened. Back when it was happening there would be staged interviews, I remember one where Jobe was asked one question sternly, which he would no doubt have been given a week before to rehearse. Its amazing. Its not unheard of for the players to go to ground or be shielded initially ah la Lance Armstrong, but going on 6 years later and still no frank interviews with detailed questions:

'Who told you about the supplements program?'
'What records were kept by you or the club?'
'how many injections were you given? where?'
'did they have any effect?'
"what was the feeling amongst the players?'

etc etc. If the AFL are good at one thing, its circling the wagons and controlling the message, ie, they have a massive PR budget, I'd actually love to see their PR expenditure, I'll bet decent money it isn't on the record, or buried creatively.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
IanG said:
Interesting interview with Jobe Watson on SEN this morning. He seems to imply that he now thinks they were given a prohibited substance: “I think that we exhausted every possible avenue that we could legally to try and exonerate ourselves because we believed we weren’t guilty and that was our belief from the moment the accusations were there right up until all the evidence we saw against us at the final CAS hearing.”

http://aflnation.com.au/2018/05/23/essendon-didnt-do-their-job/
yes he does, at face value, they beleived, or wanted desperately to believe, that they were innocent because the club told them they were. Then at the death at the CAS hearing they realised they weren't. very interesting. Is this the first glimpse of an admission of guilt?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Pretty sure the club has got all the players to sign NDAs, which would imply they all got some sort of payout.

We really need Dank to come clean, or the other bloke, the Weapon.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Baloo said:
Pretty sure the club has got all the players to sign NDAs, which would imply they all got some sort of payout.

We really need Dank to come clean, or the other bloke, the Weapon.
Darcy already did the hard hitting in depth interview with the Weapon. Don't reckon that Dank bloke could lie straight on the rack so he'll never present anything believable. Players have all got their slice of compo so they won't be breaking their vows of silence.