FAMILY DAY | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FAMILY DAY

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Well after taking over 50 photos for the day I am exhausted.

But here is some of the things I stumbled across on my travels.

Otto for obvious reasons didn't attend.

Nor did General Cosgrove because he was ..er... preparing for war (those were the words that were used). But he did send a very nice letter.

The Lord Mayor of Melbourne John So handed over a cheque for I think $880,000 to the JDF. Am I the only person who has trouble understanding what he says ???

Our Membership currently stands at 17532. Approx 400 memberships were sold at the Family day.

Our number 1 female ticket holder Diana Jones is also known as Mrs Diana Krauss - I didn't know that.

Darren *smile* was sporting about 6 stiches under his right eye. Leon Cameron also had a split chin from yesterday's encounter. Matty Rogers had a shiner.

Marty McGrarth wasn't at the family day but has been given No. 30 for season 2003. :-/

Richo was king of the kids - with the longest autograph line you have ever seen ;)

Past players handing out jumpers at the presentation included Roger Dean (looks fit enough to play), Flea Weightman, Neville Crowe, Rick Clay (cos the it wont let me type the D word ;)), Emmett Dunne and Tony Free (great to see Freezer back at the Club). Roy Wright's son also gave out guernseys.

There was a special presentation of Jumper Number 17. For season 2003 it was presented to the Dyer family - a nice touch and a very proud moment for the Great Man's grandson who accepted the jumper on behalf of the family.

Ty Zantuck's face looks healed and he should be right for round 1. Wouldn't be surprised to see him line up for Coburg next week for some match practice

I have photos galore - you name 'em I should have 'em ;D The only exception is Houlihoop - heh you've gotta draw the line somewhere ;D

Finally as Patron of the Matt Shir fan club - I won his signed guernsey in the silent auction.

froars

"Famous last words - I'll be good"
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Gee Gary Krauss has been busy over the summer - last time i checked his wife's name was Prue - might explain why you didn't know that lol.

They might have meant to say Diana Jones is number one female member and Gary Krauss is number one male - who knows.

But then again, Gary might have remarried Diana Jones - like sands thru the hourglass lol ... ;D

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
was a great day basking in the melb sun. i would have thought when the players came out to accept their jumpers cambo would have been last being capt and then a bit of a speech.
same with spud who came on about an hour later with most of the crowd gone in fact their were more animals in the mini farm than supporters listening to spud i reckon ;D

A

admin

What was the general gist of the speeches?
Are we premiership bound, or just taking it one win at a time? ;D

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Are we premiership bound, or just taking it one win at a time?  ;D
can tell ya what the lord mayor said tho.
i am wonoured to be here tooday welebrating with wichmond fans and awike wonouring won of your grates.wack wyer.
i have ween wupporting the wigers for 5 winutes now and wnjoed wvery winute of it.

go wigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i kid you not:D

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Darren *smile* was sporting about 6 stiches under his right eye

He got that from a head clash with Andrew Kellaway.

Well I didn't go as nuts as lill with the camera got about 30 pics most of them with me or my friend with the players but I'll edit us out and just post the pics of the players. Here's a few too start with seeing I've allready had them developed ;D (as soon as I get some free time I'll scan them and put them up somewhere for all of you to see.)

For dragga click below
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_9661546/dragga.jpg?bcfvDd.A9TahWhBb

For dunc click below
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_9661546/Dunc.jpg?bcfvDd.AYOOqj2dq

Sorry the pics are so big I dont know how to make them smaller

A

admin

I'll edit us out and just post the pics of the players.
Nah, no need to go to the trouble TG, just leave yourself in them, ha. ;D

Great pics thanks, in fact one of them is very nice indeed. ;)

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
can tell ya what the lord mayor said tho.
i am wonoured to be here tooday  welebrating with wichmond fans and awike wonouring won of your grates.wack wyer.
i have ween wupporting the wigers for 5 winutes now and wnjoed wvery winute of it.

go wigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i kid you not:D

J2R - thanks for the translation. It's been bugging me ;D
or is that wugging me

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
They might have meant to say Diana Jones is number one female member and Gary Krauss is number one male - who knows.

I think this maybe the case froars. A slip of the tongue by our President perhaps. But it certainly got my attention. I can tell you ;D

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Are we premiership bound, or just taking it one win at a time?  ;D

Spud - said very little. Lots of thank yous for people turning up. He highlighted how great it was to see so many families. Thanks for buying memberships and that it is going to be a very exciting season.

The President and the Chairman of the JDF told us that all members will be contacted regarding donating to the JDF as they strive to achieve and exceed the funds they require.

Did see Campbo selling memberships at one point which I thought was great. He was good with the kids this year. As was Duncan Rosy as one of my photos will show :D

A

admin

Hello Fireman-Sam ;)
The links worked yesterday, but don't seem to be at the moment. Must be something to do with the site TG has them saved on.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I took my boys down for an hour or so towards the end - they had a ball playing cricket with Staff, Tivvers and Bidders.

Couldn't have ordered a better day for it and I thought it was a great success, with the players available all day and really putting in with everyone. I've been to previous days where they only made sporadic appearances and it was pandemonium for a short period, so having them around all day is a much better approach, and I'm sure they enjoy it more too.

Noticed that Kane Johnson was in pretty high demand and was surprised at Coughlan's size. Boy he's a solid unit - look out for him this year.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Jack Dyer Foundation Day a roaring success Tony Greenberg richmondfc.com.au 4:41:28 PM Mon 17 March, 2003

The Tiger tribe turned out in full force for the 2003 Jack Dyer Foundation Day held at Punt Road Oval on Sunday (March 16).

Nearly 10,000 Richmond fans of all ages, shapes and sizes proudly showed their support for the Club and enjoyed the many activities on offer, including cricket, mini golf, football clinics (courtesy of Tiger Zone), handball targets, face painting, museum tours, player autograph signings and the world’s largest Tiger slide (what a hit that was!).

The much-publicised back injury suffered by star big man Brad Ottens might have prompted predictions of gloom and doom for the Tigers from some sections of the media, but the mood at Punt Road on Sunday was anything but downcast.

Members of the Yellow and Black faith were buoyant as they watched Lord Mayor John So hand over a $880,000 cheque from the Melbourne City Council to Club President Clinton Casey to go towards the new Punt Road Oval building. Punt Road is their home – and they can now rest assured that’s the way it’s going to stay for many, many years to come.

Then, in a fitting tribute to Richmond’s greatest ever player – and inaugural Tiger ‘Immortal’ Jack Dyer – this year’s No. 17 guernsey (signed by the Club’s entire playing list) was presented to John Devine, grandson of ‘Captain Blood’ and the representative of the large Dyer family in attendance.

The Club has decided to ‘retire’ the famous No. 17 guernsey for the time being, and felt it appropriate to honor the man who is the embodiment of the ‘Eat ‘em Alive’ spirit in this way.

Following that special presentation, it was the turn of the men who will wear the Yellow and Black into battle for Richmond in 2003 to receive their guernseys from bold Tigers of Old in Dale Weightman, Roger Dean, *smile* Clay, Emmett Dunne, Tony Free and Neville Crowe, along with Paul Wright, son of dual Brownlow Medallist and Tiger icon, Roy Wright. In memory of Roy, who passed away last year, Paul presented his Dad’s old No. 2 guernsey to Darren Gaspar.

Each player who was called up on stage got a rousing reception and they received similar attention when they were mingling with the Tiger throng out on the hallowed Punt Rd Oval turf. Although it’s fair to say the queue to get Matthew Richardson’s prized autograph at times stretched as far as he can propel the ‘pill’ by foot, the likes of Richmond newcomers such as Tim Fleming, Jay Schulz, Daniel Sipthorp, Billy Nicholls and Adam Pickering certainly had their decent share of signature-seekers.

Truly, this was a great day for all members of the Yellow and Black faith – and it further highlighted the strong link between the Club and its large, passionate support base.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
I took my boys down for an hour or so towards the end - they had a ball playing cricket with Staff, Tivvers and Bidders.

And did you catch up with your namesake Dean3?

What a lovely friendly bloke he is. I even asked him if I could take his photo. He oblidged of course but seemed a little shocked that I'd asked. He happily signed autographs as well. :D

It was well organised. And credit where credit is due all of the players I thought were absolutely sensational with the kids. Nothing was too much trouble.

A positive day for the Richmond Football Club and its supporters.