Father sons | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Father sons

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Which kids are a chance to be taken under the father son rule? It might be an idea to have a thread following their fortunes at the respective clubs throughout the year.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
There are a few who are a chance. Some have a better chance than others:

1. Nick Raines (Coburg)
2. Kym Monteath (East Fremantle)
3. The older Monteath (Coburg)
4. Young Strachan (Coburg)
5. Tomi Johnston (Sandy Dragons)
6. Travis Tuck (Dandy S'rays)
7. Nick Couch (Geel Falcons)
8. Josh Kennedy (Sandy Dragons) - (John Kennedy III)

interested

Tiger Superstar
Tomi Johnston - Son of the great Wayne.
He's a good mate of mine, and he's quite simply an incredible footballer. He is slight quite slight in terms of frame, but he still has an incredible ability to impose himself on a game. His skill, on either side of his body is phenominal.
I will be incredibly surprised if Carlton don't take him, if not this year, next. He is growing by the day and could be a brilliant AFL footballer.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
interested said:
Tomi Johnston - Son of the great Wayne.
He's a good mate of mine, and he's quite simply an incredible footballer. He is slight quite slight in terms of frame, but he still has an incredible ability to impose himself on a game. His skill, on either side of his body is phenominal.
I will be incredibly surprised if Carlton don't take him, if not this year, next. He is growing by the day and could be a brilliant AFL footballer.

He turned 17yo earlier in February, at 174cm, 60kg he'd want to be getting into Weetbix in a big way.

interested

Tiger Superstar
As I said, he would have grown a good inch in the last 3 months, and while still short, is improving. His weight is a problem, but I can assure you with this guys work ethic (on and off the field with both Football training and study) that won't be a problem for too long.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
interested said:
As I said, he would have grown a good inch in the last 3 months, and while still short, is improving. His weight is a problem, but I can assure you with this guys work ethic (on and off the field with both Football training and study) that won't be a problem for too long.

Yes, I see he's at Melbourne High, so he has to be smart. Nowerdays they only let you in there if you can cut it academically.

interested

Tiger Superstar
Phantom said:
interested said:

Yes, I see he's at Melbourne High, so he has to be smart. Nowerdays they only let you in there if you can cut it academically.
Sort of true, Phantom. Once they have the initial exams for year 9, years 10, 11, and 12, get extra students through interview with the Principal. That is where we get the sports people rather than the academics. That said, Tomi is not unintelligent, so perhaps that could help him.
His work ethic at school is second to none, and I believe that to be true in just about everything that he does.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Tigermad2005 said:
Which kids are looking good for the tigers.

Cant judge. The Tiger recruiting staff have made some incredible selections over the years. The only method I'd use to try to 2nd guess them is probably pick the opposite to what I'd want.

I suppose my only clue would be that Wallace is always chasing midfielders, so I guess that would be the direction. If you go to the round 2 stats summary that will tell you who the most productive midfielders are in the Victorian juniors.

Skills

Tiger Champion
Apr 19, 2004
Inner City
Phantom said:
Tigermad2005 said:

I suppose my only clue would be that Wallace is always chasing midfielders...

Does that bother you Phantom, considering the "doggies" have been struggling for kpp's during the last few years?

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Kym Monteath named in the best players for East Fremantle.

If this guy is any good what round pick would we need to get him?

What round pick is he worth?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Skills said:
Phantom said:
Tigermad2005 said:

I suppose my only clue would be that Wallace is always chasing midfielders...

Does that bother you Phantom, considering the "doggies" have been struggling for kpp's during the last few years?

Merely in terms of balance or 'structure' as they now call it. The devolution of the Bulldog list during Wallace's term there does beg query.

crackertiger said:
Kym Monteath named in the best players for East Fremantle.

If this guy is any good what round pick would we need to get him?

What round pick is he worth?

Too early yet, but:
1) Father-son is a 2nd round draft choice, as I recall, otherwise;
2) If he is a standout in every game of the carnival for WA could be first/second round.
3) If selected All-Australian could also be a first/second round.
4) If he makes the WA team but has an ordinary carnival he could be a 3rd or 4th round choice.
5) If he excels at the end of year draft camp then he comes in dramatically.
6) If he doesnt do any of these, he may well be playing with Coburg.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
The first father son is a 3rd round choice. If you get a 2nd that is a 2nd round choice as I understand it.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
crackertiger said:
Thanks for that guys, does anybody know his exact height and weight?

No but, if my memory serves me, I believe he is about the same size as his older brother. Not the same size as Bruce.