Favourite grand final bits | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Favourite grand final bits

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I think in time, the game will come to be universally accepted for what it was ... the most one-sided Grand Final ever.
25 was the second lowest score by any team for the whole season.
The ratio of the two scores of 4.56 was the highest ever for a Grand Final.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I spend most weeks at the moment in WA for work.

There is only universal respect for our club. No fluke. No got lucky. Just respect.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Houli extends an arm of friendship to Toby Greene, who smiles ruefully back at him. Josh Caddy just keeps sledging him. That’s the enigma that is the Tigers, both nice and nasty at the same time.

I like this :D

How many intercept marks did Astbury take in the last quarter?

Yep, game already won and we're still pouring on the pressure and making sure they don't score. So good.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Soldo looking so happy when he was lining up for goal. Or was he having a p1ss take?
Ivan actually explained that after the game. What we didn’t see off camera was Nathan broad suggesting to him that he handball it to him so he could kick a goal

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Bolton’s tap on in the lead up to Marlion’s goal. Left himself wide open but got the team thing done and took the hit.

Showed brains, guts and selflessness - all things needed to be a Richmond man.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Ivan actually explained that after the game. What we didn’t see off camera was Nathan broad suggesting to him that he handball it to him so he could kick a goal

It must have slipped Ivan’s mind that part of “The Process” was for Broady to be the designated long shot for goal

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
when Soldo marked late in the third quarter. Duck indicated that Soldo will have problems slotting through from 40 out. Proved him wrong big time.

• Love

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
when Soldo marked late in the third quarter. Duck indicated that Soldo will have problems slotting through from 40 out. Proved him wrong big time.
I'm not necessarily a big fan of Carey but he did not say that at all.
McAvaney: Well he's an accurate set shot the big fella, four out of five so far this year.
Carey: Normally a little closer in, Bruce.

... which was probably a fair observation at the time and was exactly what I was thinking.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I'm not necessarily a big fan of Carey but he did not say that at all.
McAvaney: Well he's an accurate set shot the big fella, four out of five so far this year.
Carey: Normally a little closer in, Bruce.

... which was probably a fair observation at the time and was exactly what I was thinking.
Carey gave him no chance. Soldo kicked a set shot earlier in the season and he chipped it and Carey made a big thing out of how the kick had only just made it.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I have watched the game yet again and see so many memorable parts specifically playing related but the one amused me not exactly a play but an observation that gave GWS a fifty penalty was Dusty telling Razor exactly what he and the supporters think of his decisions

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I have watched the game yet again and see so many memorable parts specifically playing related but the one amused me not exactly a play but an observation that gave GWS a fifty penalty was Dusty telling Razor exactly what he and the supporters think of his decisions

If you can’t do that when you are 10 goals up in a Grand Final, when can you do it?

• Haha

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I watched bits again over the last week and I have come to the conclusion that there are two 10 minute patches that I will watch over and over again.

The last 3-4 minutes of the first and the first 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter when in hindsight it become blindingly obvious that the Giants couldn't go with us. Suddenly in a blink of an eye we were 26 points up.

The other patch is the first 10 minutes of the 3rd when we went from 35 points up to 60, which could have been more if we kicked straight. It was gorgeous football. Pressure, power, skill all rolled into one short period. We could have kicked 7 goals in that period such was the dominance. I recall at the time going from thinking that it wasn't quite over to knowing we were premiers and the rest of the game being a relaxed celebration.

Reactions: 8 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I watched bits again over the last week and I have come to the conclusion that there are two 10 minute patches that I will watch over and over again.

The last 3-4 minutes of the first and the first 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter when in hindsight it become blindingly obvious that the Giants couldn't go with us. Suddenly in a blink of an eye we were 26 points up.

The other patch is the first 10 minutes of the 3rd when we went from 35 points up to 60, which could have been more if we kicked straight. It was gorgeous football. Pressure, power, skill all rolled into one short period. We could have kicked 7 goals in that period such was the dominance. I recall at the time going from thinking that it wasn't quite over to knowing we were premiers and the rest of the game being a relaxed celebration.
The last 3 minutes of the game, despite the score, is pretty awesome!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Best moment by the 15 minute mark of the 2nd qtr we were
Up by 4 goals
We had number 12 in the cabinet

jtigger

Tiger Cub
May 7, 2005
Quite a few neutral supporters who were at the game have commented to me in very respectful tones that they couldn't believe the noise, especially for the Pickett goal..

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Um, no actually. It was a flick pass, banned in the 1930s I think. Open handed handpass, not really a throw.

Not quite as bad as Dusty's effort in the QF but definitely not a handpass.

DS
Had to do a double check to verify my thoughts on the flick. Was first legalised in the 30s but then banned mid 60s, E.J. n his Doggies were pretty good at it way back then. Footy then "progressed" to the Crow throw which has since deteriorated to anything you can get away with while the maggot's a'int looking.