Favourite grand final bits | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Favourite grand final bits

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
And then the *smile* chant from the faithful for Razor (I think) paying head high tackle from the Chimp.

Tenacious i Think it was against Prestia who came in late????

Correct me if im wrong.

I know. Razor. Chambermaid theatrics.

Loved the tackle and intent.(by both)

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
This goal from dusty for me,

it was only approx 10 minutes into the second quarter , but when he kicked this, the realization hit me early , we will be premiers again , nothing will stop us

It was a great goal but BT overrated it a bit. It's like he's never seen Dusty do that before. He would do it a dozen times a season.

The Marlion blind turn and George specky stands in my mind as most memorable. I think I snorted with joyful laughter when Marlion did that.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
It was a great goal but BT overrated it a bit. It's like he's never seen Dusty do that before. He would do it a dozen times a season.

The Marlion blind turn and George specky stands in my mind as most memorable. I think I snorted with joyful laughter when Marlion did that.

yeah I didnt get the BT bit until i watched the replay , live at the ground , just remember thinking ........ yes we have this

Reactions: 1 user

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Did you take that Kiwi and post on Youtube?

Great view from behind the goals there.
No i was sitting on a wing up one level, searched for the goal and found it

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I listened to the grand final call on the sen tigerthon on Sunday and it reminded me of what in hindsight was my favourite time at the grand final. In the 2nd quarter radio call the lauding of GWS’ start disappeared into a stream of superlatives of how powerful and impressive Richmond were in the 2nd quarter by dialing up the heat and the giants just not being able to go with us.
I recall the realisation at the time that we were not going to be beaten, we were just too good.
That feeling of much of the tension of the game disappearing, that we were on, was my highlight. It probably hit me fully when GWS had a small flurry and then Jack kicked his 2nd. 6 goals to 1, not over on the scoreboard but I knew we would win then.
It’s a magic feeling.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
1. Marlions blind turn - left me speechless
2. Cotchys tackle on Mummy (didn't see it first time - saw it on the replay that night)
3. Phil Davis's fitness test - right in front of us - he was clearly f'ed and we were clearly going to win the flag
4. Gimme Shelter playing at half time, looking around the crowd in the afternoon sunlight, knowing we were going to win the premiership
5. Marlions goal
6. Bakes getting to his feet giggling when Cameron atomic dropped him
7. Dustys goal from the city end pocket with blokes hanging off him
8. The unified and sustained chant of 'Bull *smile*' 10 minutes into the game directed at Chamberlain and his refusal to give us a free.
9. Marlion's 3 boys after the siren having a kick of footy and piling on each other with no regard for their own, or each others, safety.
10. Dusty.

Reactions: 13 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Some great moments mentioned here..

A few others..

- Lynch saluting the Army with a clench fist after goaling in the square
- Dusty's brilliant pickup & snap for goal after Marlion dribbled it into the fwd line.
- Cotch fist pump after goal through the middle.
- Rioli goal on Q time.
- Soldo goal on 3/4 time.
- Dusty post Normie presentation 'YELLOW & BLACK!!'

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I listened to the grand final call on the sen tigerthon on Sunday and it reminded me of what in hindsight was my favourite time at the grand final. In the 2nd quarter radio call the lauding of GWS’ start disappeared into a stream of superlatives of how powerful and impressive Richmond were in the 2nd quarter by dialing up the heat and the giants just not being able to go with us.
I recall the realisation at the time that we were not going to be beaten, we were just too good.
That feeling of much of the tension of the game disappearing, that we were on, was my highlight. It probably hit me fully when GWS had a small flurry and then Jack kicked his 2nd. 6 goals to 1, not over on the scoreboard but I knew we would win then.
It’s a magic feeling.

It was different this year. In 2017 it was well into the last that I allowed myself to believe we were a chance, and then blubbered for the rest of the match. This year I turned to the lady sitting next to me just before halftime and said "We've won the Grand Final". She hit me harder than I thought a 70yo woman could, scolding me but with a smile on her face.

The second half was a celebration. Every goal was another champagne bottle being popped. It was special to be able to celebrate a Grand Final win for most of the game itself.

Reactions: 7 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It was different this year. In 2017 it was well into the last that I allowed myself to believe we were a chance, and then blubbered for the rest of the match. This year I turned to the lady sitting next to me just before halftime and said "We've won the Grand Final". She hit me harder than I thought a 70yo woman could, scolding me but with a smile on her face.

The second half was a celebration. Every goal was another champagne bottle being popped. It was special to be able to celebrate a Grand Final win for most of the game itself.

I got emu pecked hard on the head by an 80? yo lady behind me. 2nd time in 45 years of going to the footy ive been belted by Grandma.

she told me not to stand up after goals because she couldn't see (it was very weird. she was ostensibly a tiger and there wasn't a person except her in a seat after goals)

I said 'Madam, this is a grand final and this is the Punt Road End, if you whack me on the head again, rest assured I will not take age into account and I will not be polite'.

she didnt whack me again.

In front of us, we had a father and two 'adult' sons, who were like a family of Richmond carnival gypsys.

They were completely tanked, batshit crazy and obnoxious.

the most mild mannered of them had his wife beside him and when Marlion Pickett came by after the siren, he was imploring Marlion to make love (not quite in those words) to his wife. His wife didnt seem to take any offence. I assumed she was from a similar bloodline of carny gyspy tigers with some Collingwood genes from a few generations back?

Anyway, there was something great about experiencing a flag with those guys.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
All of the above were bloody memorable, I'll throw in another, Jack hugging Dusty after Marlion's goal because he knew how selfless and awesome Dusty was for doing it, and,

The excitement shown and celebration by Jack when Marlion's name was read out to receive his premiership medal.

Jack was so overjoyed.

• Love

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The way our players came from everywhere to celebrate with Marlion after he kicked the goal. I had to enjoy that on the replay I recorded, because *smile* Ch 7 had to go to an advert at that moment.

• Love

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
My favorite moment was Dusty's pass to Marlion which resulted in his first ever Goal. Not only was it a player of Dusty's stature passing a goal he could have kicked himself to the first gamer, but the pass itself was a thing of beauty. It was a low 40m bullet that hit Marlion on the right tit. I don't think there are many players in the game that could have pulled it off.

I was right above where it happened and i literally shook my head in disbelief.

• Love

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
2017 was the greatest day of my life, other then hugs , high fives, fist pumps from people I’d never seen in my life most of the Day was spent with my son, 10 rows from the punt road end goals...brilliant , nothing better.

2019 at the G was different in so many ways , had the awesome pleasure of enjoying the win with my great Tiger mates I go to the footy with most weeks, so after half time and as the celebrations started early got to share a few hugs , high 5s , hand shakes, pats on the back with Taz, ToO, Caesar, Leysy, Dustyman and of course Mr B jnr as we could sit back an take in what an awesome team we are apart , and too top it all of as I absailed down into the GWS cheer squad area from level 4 I ran into Gypsy Jazz and his bro .....fook it’s great been a Tiger, nothing better

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
It was a glorious day. It was clear early in the game that we were on, irrespective of the early score. Our play encapsulated everything unique and superior about the team from the past three years. Brutal but ballet-like.

I must admit I now struggle to recall most of the big moments of the day, yet could provide a blow by blow commentary of 2017. However it was a four quarter party and equally special. I will never forget it.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
In chronological order:
- Friday afternoon pre-game brainstrust at the London. Missed you, @eZyT
- MCC making tickets available to restricted members so I could go with my brother and offload my ticket to Gyps' brother. Footy = family.
- Pre-game beer and snag at @caesar 's palace with @Leysy Days @Tigers of Old @Mr Brightside @taztiger4 & co.
- Knowing two minutes in we were on and they would need something special to beat us.
- Knowing halfway through the second quarter they didn't have something special in them and the flag was ours.
- Marlion's spin and George's mark.
- Every time George got the pill and turned on the afterburners.
- The Chimp's goal.
- After match beers in the Percy Beames bar with my bro, dad, uncle and cousin. Footy = family.
- After-after match cocktails at Lily Black's with Gyps and two of his bros.
- After-after-after match beers, replay and ritual slagging of the opposition (The Josh Kelly Myth) with Dyer'ere, Gyps and all four of his bros.

And many more. As Mr B says, not as euphoric as '17, but still a great day.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
01c98f35803aae803247db7932076730
Chimp Attack .....is savage on the attack our Skippa Chimp.

• Love