Favourite grand final bits | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Favourite grand final bits

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
From the game.... Picket’s blind turn

From the TV coverage... second quarter about 20 seconds in (the clock is down to 19:41) with the volume turned up you can hear someone near a microphone straining briefly. Funny stuff! Sounds like he did a foofer valve!

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
This is brilliant, needs pages more.

Grand Final day has to start early be out getting all the papers by 7-7.30, read everything Sun,Age, Fin Review, drink Coffee, go out for breakfast in Hawthorn, see all the glum faces that their mob isn't playing. They are salty, smug and hateful, I drink it in. Train to Burnley, stroll through Richmond, meet the family. Spook is right, footy is family. Brother and Dad are as smug as me. Back slaps, hugs, 'We are doing this", "beyond doubt" type stuff. But confident, softly spoken words. We know it.

Second breakfast/Early lunch (Richmond supports don't have Brunch on Grand Final day, that's for Hawthorn and Melbourne) and beers in Richmond, nothing excessive, just something to make it feel different, like Xmas. Take the long way to get to the ground zig-zagging going past a packed London. It's blissfully alive, thumping, it has a pulse. We just stood out the front and talked to a few more family members. Never met them but on Grand Final day, with Richmond playing, everyone is family at the London.

The game itself was what we wanted. Premature celebration that was wanted. The Rioli goal felt like a huge counter punch to the liver that GWS knew they couldn't recover from. The rest was just smiles and smug pity for the franchise.

Afterwards, up Swan Street, Wasn't the same. Too many ring ins. Too many teenagers treating it like New Years Eve. People too drunk too early. Swallowed beers from a restaurant on the street. Didn't need to be there late, I know we will do it again.

Watched the replay when I got him, drank top shelf scotch. Back up early the next day, read everything, watch it again.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

sconies

Tiger Rookie
Aug 22, 2019
welp.
One thing I've only just noticed during the replay. In the lead up to Marlion's goal, after Rioli's handball and Bolton's tap onto Lambert who passes it onto Pickett, as Pickett is about to take his kick to Martin it's obvious that he's about to get slammed, yet somehow (the camera goes to a far angle right at this point) he gets the kick off and the GWS players trying to bump him run into each other and he gets away without a graze. Wonderful.

Reactions: 3 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
One thing I've only just noticed during the replay. In the lead up to Marlion's goal, after Rioli's handball and Bolton's tap onto Lambert who passes it onto Pickett, as Pickett is about to take his kick to Martin it's obvious that he's about to get slammed, yet somehow (the camera goes to a far angle right at this point) he gets the kick off and the GWS players trying to bump him run into each other and he gets away without a graze. Wonderful.
Too right Jam'n'cream. A two step acceleration takes Marlion out of Mummy's target zone and the other GWS player gets clobbered. Mummy's most effective hit of the day! :clap2 :rotfl1

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
And what about Bolton’s tap. He was crunched but it was awesome. I’ve watched all the finals again and whilst he didn’t get a lot of the ball in any of them things happen when he gets the pill, plus his tackling pressure is light years ahead of where it was.

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
And what about Bolton’s tap. He was crunched but it was awesome. I’ve watched all the finals again and whilst he didn’t get a lot of the ball in any of them things happen when he gets the pill, plus his tackling pressure is light years ahead of where it was.

Yep, very noticeable the improvement in Bolton even if the stats don't likely show it.

He's come along very well.

DS

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
This is me from Quarter time on.

1570890089827.png

The Grand Final was basically a giant Richmond cum-fest. Pickett's blind turn. Dustys snap, Cotch's goal, Castagna's 6 points - there are so many great moments. To come back from the nightmare of that Collingwood Prelim to win a grand final the next year by nearly 100 is amazing.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Besides Dusty, Pickett, Catasgna, Cotchin, Edwards, Houli and Soldo’s quality games.
My favourite moment was about the 25 minute mark of the 2nd QTR walking past the AFL shop in the Olympic stand and seeing these 2 glass boxes with caps inside of them with one having ‘premiers Richmond’ and the other ‘premiers GWS’ written on them.
I asked the lady, can I have one? She said the caps will go on sale when we know the result.
I told her ‘were not Collingwood, the game is over.’ She refused to sell me one.
When I went back 2 seconds after the siren went, the line was massive, but the lady saw me and pointed to a teller where she had a Cap ready to go.
When we hit the lead we just Anaconda the opposition. It’s great to watch.
GWS was very very lucky Georgie didn’t have a good day in front of goals because records would’ve been smashed.

Reactions: 7 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Maureen Hafey presenting the cup was special. Just like Richo in 2017.

On both occassions it felt like our season had been underlined by uniting the past with the present and future.

It makes us formidable. You don’t just take on one of us, or 22 of us, or 103358 of us, you take on 134 years of fighting fury.

Reactions: 9 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003

On both occassions it felt like our season had been underlined by uniting the past with the present and future.

It makes us formidable. You don’t just take on one of us, or 22 of us, or 103358 of us, you take on 134 years of fighting fury.
Yeah baby!
(I'm not that old, but ) :)):cupgold

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
The Cameron Goal.
Yep the first goal.

Not one person ran to him, high fived him, bum tapped him, hugged him, celebrated with him.

Nada, Nought, Zero, Zippo, Zilch, Bupkis, Donuts.

The difference between the two sides?

Love for each other.
Love for the Jumper.

Not manufactured hand me downs!
Russian Theme Songs!
Big Big Mottos!

Never Surrender?

Filthy Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 10, 2014
Bloke standing next to me had an 8 leg multi...only leg that didn't get up was Castagna to kick a goal!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Welcome back, son.

Reactions: 3 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
For me, the biggest factor in this flag is the decision late in 2019 to load up in the forward line. Not content with finally getting the Jack and Tom Show up and running, Hardwick doubled-down again and used Dusty almost exclusively as a forward. He attended a few centre bounces but basically played as a forward during the finals.

That trio kicked a lot of goals.

The moment of the Grand Final was the Rioli underground handpass on the boundary line to Dusty.

Vision. Execution. Skill. Belligerence. Destiny.

How can any team combat all of those things at the same time?

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
One of the best plays of the day for me was Houli's spoil on a taller opponent, he fell to the ground, got up again and tackled another GWS player who had picked up the ball causing a turnover and we then goaled. Was classic and at an important stage of the game.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
For me, the biggest factor in this flag is the decision late in 2019 to load up in the forward line. Not content with finally getting the Jack and Tom Show up and running, Hardwick doubled-down again and used Dusty almost exclusively as a forward. He attended a few centre bounces but basically played as a forward during the finals.

That trio kicked a lot of goals.

The moment of the Grand Final was the Rioli underground handpass on the boundary line to Dusty.

Vision. Execution. Skill. Belligerence. Destiny.

How can any team combat all of those things at the same time?
Love Rio’s underground handball, too. Then there’s the sheer arrogance in how Dusty gave Marlion his goal. There was an air of ‘we are way better than you. This is just to rub your faces right in it’ about that. Beautiful!

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
I wasn't lucky enough to be there, circumstances dictated I be somewhere else.

There were so many great moments, all covered so brilliantly here.

But my greatest moments have come post game, talking to Supporters of other clubs, in particular Pies fans.

To a man they all say Tigers were the best team, and no matter who was up against them the Tigers would have won easily.

Fills me with pride, knowing we all stuck through some mighty tough times but have come out the other end the undisputed kings of the jungle.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
So many amazing moments. I was sitting level 1 AFL members and the thing that sticks in my mind was our toughness. On that wing - cotchin’s tackle, Lambert’s tackle, houlis tackle, Edwards tackle and caddy’s tackle... and the Edwards bump on hopper. Absolutely unreal.

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
The Cameron Goal.
Yep the first goal.

Not one person ran to him, high fived him, bum tapped him, hugged him, celebrated with him.

Nada, Nought, Zero, Zippo, Zilch, Bupkis, Donuts.

The difference between the two sides?

Love for each other.
Love for the Jumper.

Not manufactured hand me downs!
Russian Theme Songs!
Big Big Mottos!

Never Surrender?

I noted that too and he even looked around to see if anyone was coming to him