Favourite grand final bits | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Favourite grand final bits

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I watched bits again over the last week and I have come to the conclusion that there are two 10 minute patches that I will watch over and over again.

The last 3-4 minutes of the first and the first 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter when in hindsight it become blindingly obvious that the Giants couldn't go with us. Suddenly in a blink of an eye we were 26 points up.

The other patch is the first 10 minutes of the 3rd when we went from 35 points up to 60, which could have been more if we kicked straight. It was gorgeous football. Pressure, power, skill all rolled into one short period. We could have kicked 7 goals in that period such was the dominance. I recall at the time going from thinking that it wasn't quite over to knowing we were premiers and the rest of the game being a relaxed celebration.

It is certainly strange that it only takes a couple of minutes of outstanding play that will undoubtedly change the game and deflate the opposition. The end of the first quarter was that point for me. In 2017 it was Towner burying Crouch that did for the Crows

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It is certainly strange that it only takes a couple of minutes of outstanding play that will undoubtedly change the game and deflate the opposition. The end of the first quarter was that point for me. In 2017 it was Towner burying Crouch that did for the Crows

Watching the 2017 game live, I still felt nervous (like many) until Butler's goal in the last. But watching it again many times since I've always felt signs were good late in the first and by midway through the second you could see the pressure, tackling, running was working even if it took a while to hit on the scoreboard. Towner's tackle and that ferocious attitude really hurt Adelaide though - that was where their doubts really started to hit home. Similar patterns in the Lions final and also the Cats in the prelim - by the second quarter you could see our system kicking in and the Cats were definitely starting to wilt.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Watching the 2017 game live, I still felt nervous (like many) until Butler's goal in the last. But watching it again many times since I've always felt signs were good late in the first and by midway through the second you could see the pressure, tackling, running was working even if it took a while to hit on the scoreboard. Towner's tackle and that ferocious attitude really hurt Adelaide though - that was where their doubts really started to hit home. Similar patterns in the Lions final and also the Cats in the prelim - by the second quarter you could see our system kicking in and the Cats were definitely starting to wilt.

I remember remarking to my daughter at quarter time in the 2017 GF (we were at Punt Rd) that we were in this. Adelaide had buried both of their opponents in the first quarter in their previous 2 finals, they hadn't buried us. The second quarter was critical as it was Adelaide's best quarter in 2017. In contrast Richmond were playing brilliantly later in games, burying sides in the second half and also towards the end of the first half. Then we kept them goalless in the second quarter and the rest is history. I wasn't convinced until about 5 minutes to go as we had 37 years to get past and Adelaide had the ability to score very quickly. But by half time I knew we were at least in a much better position to win than Adelaide were.

In this year's prelim I thought Geelong were great in the first half. They set up so well we had trouble getting out of half back, a rare thing for Richmond in 2019 as that was where we generally launched. I knew we could win it, I also knew we had to lift a couple of notches to do so. The really impressive thing about this year's PF was the way that we overcame Geelong's lead in barely half of the 3rd quarter. They ground out that lead over the whole of the first half - it was well earned but it was hard for them to get to 21 points ahead and it took half the game. The very fact we could wipe that out in half a quarter was truly impressive. Clearly Richmond had the greater weapons if we could get the game on our terms, but only if we could overcome the way Geelong had played in the first half.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
No Doubt about it, the grand final is everything, however, I do have a favourite bit against geelong. the start of the last quarter, Bruce asked who needs to stand up. Names like dangerfield, ,blicavs, etc were mentioned. No one said ablett! THE ANSWER IS NO ONE FROM GEELONG!

Taylor said "if Lynch kicks two goals, the Tigers win".

Poor old Richo, trying to be diplomatic (a hard thing to do when you know your team will win) mentions ratugolea.

Reactions: 1 user

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
I've already mentioned the Cameron Goal earlier in this thread.

Watched the Grand Final again tonight (1st time in about a month).

Not so much best bits but weird bits I missed previously.

In the last quarter Jumping Jack hand tapped Lynchy after ball went out of bounds.
Same time Shaw hand tapped one of his teammates.
Then as Jack and Shaw passed each other (going in opposite directions) they hand tap.
Real weird. Almost as if each thought the other was a team mate.

After the win on the ground there is about 8-9 Richmond guys in a circle and you can see Bolton down low at their feet.
It looks like they were shielding him from the cameras.
Then he gets up and they all laugh.
I reckon he had a leak on the ground.
Balta points up to the Sky Cam almost as if to say you might still have got busted.

Anyone else see these 2 moments?

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

In the last quarter Jumping Jack hand tapped Lynchy after ball went out of bounds.
Then as Jack and Shaw passed each other (going in opposite directions) they hand tap.

After the win on the ground there is about 8-9 Richmond guys in a circle and you can see Bolton down low at their feet.
Balta points up to the Sky Cam almost as if to say you might still have got busted.

I had noticed the hand-tap.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Yeah - replayed the Jack/Shaw “low five” a few times to check what I was seeing
But I reckon it was a genuine acknowledgement between the two of them - after all the game was over at that stage.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah - replayed the Jack/Shaw “low five” a few times to check what I was seeing
But I reckon it was a genuine acknowledgement between the two of them - after all the game was over at that stage.
Reckon you might be right. There was a fair bit of doubt whether Heater would saddle up for another season, so possibly just an acknowledgement for a career well played.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Had to do a double check to verify my thoughts on the flick. Was first legalised in the 30s but then banned mid 60s, E.J. n his Doggies were pretty good at it way back then. Footy then "progressed" to the Crow throw which has since deteriorated to anything you can get away with while the maggot's a'int looking.
Trouble is you can get away with plenty in full view of the umpire these days.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I always thought the flick pass was outlawed back in the 1930s, but it wasn't until the 1960s, wow.

Interesting thoughts on the handpass and the way players handpass these days along with what umpires let them get away with. This has changed a lot over the last 20 or so years and in looking up the flick pass I came upon this article from 2016 by Tim Lane: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ions-for-afl-rule-makers-20160618-gpmfwv.html Certainly food for thought there, the handpass has evolved. I also agree with the observation about the balance between the player who takes possession and a tackler, I think that has gone too far in favour of the tackler to the extent that you see players running towards a ball but reluctant to take possession.

Anyway, just responding to the above, this should really be in another thread.

Back to Grand Final appreciation.

DS

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Kicking the last 3 goals of the game in the final 2 minutes was not just impressive from our guys but imo it makes watching the GF again even sweeter knowing we can watch it through to the final siren and there are no junk time goals to the opposition.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Geez, how bloody humiliating. I've been upstaged n by a *smile* Kiwi.

There I was thinking to myself that I'd set a pretty fair imbecile standard by getting chucked out of the Grannie at qtr time with the game still in the balance. But now some Kiwi flog comes along n gets chucked out of the Boxing day test before a ball has even been bowled.
Imagine travelling all the way over n doing Xmas here so you can be ready to fire up for the big cricket event of your team on Boxing day for the first time in 32 years and getting chucked out before it's even started. Not sure it's possible to achieve a higher level of imbecile than that.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Geez, how bloody humiliating. I've been upstaged n by a ******* Kiwi.

There I was thinking to myself that I'd set a pretty fair imbecile standard by getting chucked out of the Grannie at qtr time with the game still in the balance. But now some Kiwi flog comes along n gets chucked out of the Boxing day test before a ball has even been bowled.
Imagine travelling all the way over n doing Xmas here so you can be ready to fire up for the big cricket event of your team on Boxing day for the first time in 32 years and getting chucked out before it's even started. Not sure it's possible to achieve a higher level of imbecile than that.

I was looking for your post a while back when you told the story of getting kicked out of the granny but could only find people referring to it. Any chance you can repost or direct me to it? If it won’t incriminate you maso :)

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I purchased the DVD finals pack and have now also purchased the complete season collection just last week, which obviously includes the finals.

So for sale, finals pack, only watched 956 times!

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I was looking for your post a while back when you told the story of getting kicked out of the granny but could only find people referring to it. Any chance you can repost or direct me to it? If it won’t incriminate you maso :)
Wouldn't have a clue which thread to find it in bulbous one, think it might have been one started by greystar about the game. Wasn't much of anything worthy of incrimination, but it was bloody expensive and the bastards took me sippin off me so I didn't even have a taste left to ease the pain.
Was there anything in particular ya wanted to know?

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Just curious maso. it seems unjust that anyone could eject a Pre-er from a granny. I hope you pissed in gills soup or something.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Just curious maso. it seems unjust that anyone could eject a Pre-er from a granny. I hope you pissed in gills soup or something.
Nah, just took my own traveler into the ground instead of lining up to get extorted. Seems they take offence n high dudgeon over someone trying to skirt around their official regimen of acceptable behaviour.
Peein in Gilligan's soup would have been a suitable eviction worthy offence, pity I didn't think of it or have opportunity.