Favourite grand final bits | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Favourite grand final bits

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
It still amazes me that the cats didn't fire a shot in the second half of the prelim. No big hits, no big clearances, their supposedly elite midfield were completely overran.

How sweet it was.
Danger not touching the ball in thr 3rd and being ironed out as Prestia iced the game summed them up.

Reactions: 3 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Danger not touching the ball in thr 3rd and being ironed out as Prestia iced the game summed them up.
That’s my favourite footage. Lynch sits him on his arse and he is still down as Prestia’s kick goes through the goals.
It’s quite the moment.

Reactions: 1 user

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Wow. Not only do you KNOW, but are also RELATED TO a GWS supporter ???
That town is in the original Richmond recruiting ground, and i thought he was a Tiger supporter. It's amazing what free Grand Final tickets will do for some - seriously, he got his tickets free.

He's a bit of a first class twat so coming from the same gene pool is something of a worry. But i will say this about the crowd.

I remember looking around at the colour distribution before the game started and thinking that the AFL was doing it's best to nullify our noise advantage. Most of the GWS colours were around the boundry line, and the Richmond Cheer squad had GWS to both sides of them and from memory above them as well. It seemed that Richmond colours were pushed as far back as possible, which is a feat in itself considering we were out numbering them 10 to 1 (30 to 1 if it was a free for all for tickets only from competing clubs, which unfortunately it isn't)!

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I just re-watched the Prelim, and you can hear the disappointment in McAvaney’s voice as we start our comeback. I’ve grown to detest the man.

Just in relation to the other Preliminary Final played between GWS and that other side with an only slightly bigger membership than them! Was i the only one slightly disturbed by Bruce McAvaney's comments as Eddie McGuire and his 3 teenage sons got up to leave?

Bruce comment went something like "There's Eddie getting up to leave with his 3 sons............ oh my, mmmmmm they are good looking boys"!

I think i may have heard a little bit of salivating as well, but that may have been my traumatised mind playing tricks on me.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
That town is in the original Richmond recruiting ground, and i thought he was a Tiger supporter. It's amazing what free Grand Final tickets will do for some - seriously, he got his tickets free.

He's a bit of a first class twat so coming from the same gene pool is something of a worry. But i will say this about the crowd.

I remember looking around at the colour distribution before the game started and thinking that the AFL was doing it's best to nullify our noise advantage. Most of the GWS colours were around the boundry line, and the Richmond Cheer squad had GWS to both sides of them and from memory above them as well. It seemed that Richmond colours were pushed as far back as possible, which is a feat in itself considering we were out numbering them 10 to 1 (30 to 1 if it was a free for all for tickets only from competing clubs, which unfortunately it isn't)!

A mate of mine struck up conversation with a group of GWS 'supporters' at the GF.
None of them knew anything about AFL footy and had been given free tickets to the game at the Virgin domestic lounge at Sydney Airport a few days prior.
During the game one of them asked my mate "who is that Richmond player wearing #4 with the mohawk"? Needless to say my friend was left utterly speechless!!

This anecdote raises serious questions as to how many of the orange wearing robots in the crowd were free/complimentary ticket holders??
Looking back on that day there could not have been a bigger polarity between our traditional powerhouse club with a rich history, and their soulless, synthetic organisation masquerading as a football club.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just in relation to the other Preliminary Final played between GWS and that other side with an only slightly bigger membership than them! Was i the only one slightly disturbed by Bruce McAvaney's comments as Eddie McGuire and his 3 teenage sons got up to leave?

Bruce comment went something like "There's Eddie getting up to leave with his 3 sons............ oh my, mmmmmm they are good looking boys"!

I think i may have heard a little bit of salivating as well, but that may have been my traumatised mind playing tricks on me.
Thought Eddie only had two sons, reckon the third one might be somebody else's.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
....3rd quarter ball comes out of the centre through a series of handballs and taps Lambert hand balls to Pickett who like some slick sting artist takes just enough steps to lure the Mummy into what he thinks will be a bone crushing bump only to slip through totally unmolested and deliver the ball to Dusty. Meanwhile, brain dead Mummy irons out his own man.... hahaha... too funny.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
....3rd quarter ball comes out of the centre through a series of handballs and taps Lambert hand balls to Pickett who like some slick sting artist takes just enough steps to lure the Mummy into what he thinks will be a bone crushing bump only to slip through totally unmolested and deliver the ball to Dusty. Meanwhile, brain dead Mummy irons out his own man.... hahaha... too funny.

Very funny. Let's also not forget our great Dusty's compliment to the Drug Sniffer...

1578218409575.png

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
That’s my favourite footage. Lynch sits him on his arse and he is still down as Prestia’s kick goes through the goals.
It’s quite the moment.

Lynch: "Hi prick, remember me?"
1578218880213.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Poor Dangerflog. Had just enough time to know exactly what was coming n no time to do anything about it. Kinda reminiscent of the old Wylie Coyote Ohhhh *smile*! moments in the cartoons.

• Haha

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
If we are talking favourite prelim bits I recon danger going quiet after half time is up there but do we know why? Let me inform you good pre Ers of the yellow and black pandanus fibre amulet set on balgurr (bush) string I asked one of the weavers who work daily at the Arnhem Land art centre I also work at to make for easy tiger. It is of course embued with potent juju. I am the proud custodian of its twin. Last year’s prelim loss can be laid at easy’s feet for forgetting to pack it but he has suffered enough for that error. At half time when we were getting flogged my self and easy who was at the game carefully synchronised amulet juju activation via precision texting. Hence the juju injected second half trouncing of the cats. I caught a massive jewfish the next morning and delivered it to the weaver in question who was quite happy :)

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne

I was halfway across the world and could see this on the screen. I came to the conclusion that someone knew exactly which areas were more likely to be on the screen and filled these accordingly. Not hard to do.

I also think that when GWS handed back their tickets, the AFL kept some to give away as freebies, along with GWS gear to wear to the game.

As for nullifying noise, I reckon the AFL do a fair bit of this too. Obviously not when the game is live but when the footage is edited for replay there is a fair bit of licence taken. At the 2017 GF, I remember the loudest boo was when a James Hird was introduced to present the Norm Smith Medal. It barely registers on the replay.

Whatever. We still won both times.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just watched the GF again :D

While we missed a few opportunities, geez we were just playing with them in the 3rd quarter, absolute domination.

What fun.

DS

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
There's history there, we've seen it from Toms games at the Gold Coast.

I've got the distinct impression that Tommy is not a Dangerflog fan.
Got a feeling the Lynch man has a healthy dose of white line fever. Looks like a choir boy, plays grumpy.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
After watching the GF a few times now, I think the highlight for me is the Skips goal, not a more deserving cog in the Richmond machine to have his moment in the sun like that , I’d like to think his leap of celebration will become a thing of Bronze in Punt Rd .

On the season 2 things stand out for me. The incredible ability of Sydney Stack, what a find and too watch the brilliance of Tom Lynch to unfold before our eyes, I think we may have the best big man in the comp after the 2020 season, I think his the one big bloke who doesn’t lack anything .

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Cotchin's goal and celebration.

Best moment all year for mine.