FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree and Southgate's not as good as previous managers. Pommies too slow while the Yanks looked more pro-active attacking.

They certainly were too slow, the few times where we looked dangerous was when we upped the speed, we were far too comfortable keeping the tempo slow.

In many ways I think we are setup wrong, Foden IMO should start every single game and probably should be the 1st name picked. He's the 1 truly attacking midfielder that has seriously strong skills. When playing against better teams, you need that higher skill level. As much as I like Sterling, his skill level by foot isn't his best skill set. Against weak teams like Iran etc (and many in qualifying) the types like Sterling tend to excel, and better teams they fade out of games. I think we'd be stronger being able to bring players like that on when defenders are tiring (even with the higher number of subs allowed now, most subs involve forwards and mids) so his pace can expose tired defenders late in games, but at the start skill level is super important. Its pretty clear from Southgates press conference he also thinks Foden can only play left wing, which is wrong, he could (and should) have replaced Mount at some time today. I love Mount but he wasn't great today.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
They certainly were too slow, the few times where we looked dangerous was when we upped the speed, we were far too comfortable keeping the tempo slow.

In many ways I think we are setup wrong, Foden IMO should start every single game and probably should be the 1st name picked. He's the 1 truly attacking midfielder that has seriously strong skills. When playing against better teams, you need that higher skill level. As much as I like Sterling, his skill level by foot isn't his best skill set. Against weak teams like Iran etc (and many in qualifying) the types like Sterling tend to excel, and better teams they fade out of games. I think we'd be stronger being able to bring players like that on when defenders are tiring (even with the higher number of subs allowed now, most subs involve forwards and mids) so his pace can expose tired defenders late in games, but at the start skill level is super important. Its pretty clear from Southgates press conference he also thinks Foden can only play left wing, which is wrong, he could (and should) have replaced Mount at some time today. I love Mount but he wasn't great today.
For a striker I'd say even Kane's been disappointing in both games. Why is Saka the only 1 of 3 Arsenal players in the current team? Liverpool just 2. Too many Manchesters IMO.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
For a striker I'd say even Kane's been disappointing in both games. Why is Saka the only 1 of 3 Arsenal players in the current team? Liverpool just 2. Too many Manchesters IMO.

Agree about Kane, I think he was dropping too deep, which pushed our whole defensive line back. I think the subs he made were ok, but should have also have included Foden and Wilson for Mount and Kane.

With regard to Arsenal and Liverpool, Panthera has kind of alluded to that. Ther EPL doesn't have any restriction on the country of players playing (unlike many leagues around the world). Pretty much all the English players available in those 2 teams are in the England squad. Why they aren't in the team, White has been playing RB for Arsenal and Trippier is easily the most in form full back in the country and Pickford is a better keeper than Ramsdale.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Surprised nobody has been in here yet after the team announcement for tonight. I was expecting changes from Arnold, but nothing other than an injury enforced one.

Surprised that Hrustic and MacLaren aren't starting.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Surprised nobody has been in here yet after the team announcement for tonight. I was expecting changes from Arnold, but nothing other than an injury enforced one.

This game is starting to feel like a Richmond reaming to me.....

• Haha

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Yeah - we are pretty conservative - it’s like we are satisfied to just be there.

This game is starting to feel like a Richmond reaming to me.....

Yeah sack the coach…………………..does that bring back memories or what.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

I'm at the stage where I will wait before I say anything about the Aussies any more, just get disappointed if I say we're going to do this, this and this and then bang cop a 1-4!!

I don't really see any name's that should be playing, look at our bench.

Japan's last bench they had players plying their trade in Germany 3, France 2, Belgium, England 2, Portugal 1 and Spain 1 - all on the bench.

Our bench - Italy 2, Scotland 2, USA 1, Denmark 1, Spain 1.

They had Minamino, Tomiyasu, Mitoma from Brighton on the bench.

Who we got? :(

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Certainly outplaying them at the moment. Haven’t been able to make a cross and then a lucky deflection and amazing finish.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Locking Arnold in the team bus before the game has worked. My sources tell me all the players were given a copy of this thread to help them with their game plan.

We're ahead, but more importantly we've controlled the game. Haven't seen the stats but assume we've played in their half for most of the match.

I just hope Arnold can be convinced not to park the bus and try to defend a 1-0 scoreline for an entire half.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'll be shocked if this games ends with 22 players on the pitch.

• Wow

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Good 1st half. As expected, tactics totally different to the France game. Wingers playing much further forward and getting good access to both flanks.

Need to keep this up as I suspect Australia will need more than 1 goal to win this one.