FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Glad we didn't have this ref. Not sure where ours came from but he's one of the better ones I've seen so far.
For me.... a non world game aficionado. .... he seemed the most in control ref I've seen... admittedly, that's not many.
That thing where he made the Tunisian bloke on the bench apologize. ... is that normal or could he have yellow carded him? Sorry for for ignorance on these things!

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Ref was really good. Didn’t take any *smile*, didn’t overreact to player frustration and told them to pull their heads in, didn’t pay any soft stuff. Soccer refs very handsy too.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
How’s the egg on the sky is falling brigade?

And the Arnold haters?

Go the Socceroos

Some might say I should be eating humble pie, especially when it comes to Mitch Duke, but I'm not. I still don't rate him. Never will. But congratulations on scoring at a world cup, son.

As for Arnold, no doubt our tactics were much better last night. We were far more physical. But in my opinion, this was a game we should have won. That's not a criticism of Tunisia, just reinforcement that our squad is much better than people think.

As for the talk about us not being able to hold the ball... You must have only watched the second half. We controlled the game and the tempo in the first half. It changed in the second half because they were chasing the game. We got them on transition a few times and Leckie should have just buried that chance.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Some might say I should be eating humble pie, especially when it comes to Mitch Duke, but I'm not. I still don't rate him. Never will. But congratulations on scoring at a world cup, son.

As for Arnold, no doubt our tactics were much better last night. We were far more physical. But in my opinion, this was a game we should have won. That's not a criticism of Tunisia, just reinforcement that our squad is much better than people think.

As for the talk about us not being able to hold the ball... You must have only watched the second half. We controlled the game and the tempo in the first half. It changed in the second half because they were chasing the game. We got them on transition a few times and Leckie should have just buried that chance.
Yep second half is what I was talking about. We were good in the first half but seemed to give it up at will in the second. But we got the result in no short order due to some outstanding deep defending in the second half.

Still trying to work out how Leckie fluffed that chance at a second half goal. It was put on a plate for him and he just seemed to totally mistime the attempted connection and missed completely. He played very well otherwise.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I watched the whole game. The 1st half was quite even, Australia were the better team.

2nd half the Tunisians changed the formation to have more players around the ball, and cramp the Australian players. Someone else commented on this thread pages back, about the inability of the Australian players to be able to 1 touch the ball and for me that was on show in the 2nd half. A lot of cramped times for the Tunisians but their 1 touch football was far better than the Australians who generally needed 2 touches, then the Tunisians closed and forced the Australian players into a quick pass, with many of them missing the target and the turnover game was then right on.

I know you watch a lot of football, but surely you saw that too? Australia controlled the ball when they were given more time in the 1st half, once that extra time was closed off, it became more difficult for them to keep control of the ball and for me, thats a clear technical deficiency.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I watched the whole game. The 1st half was quite even, Australia were the better team.

2nd half the Tunisians changed the formation to have more players around the ball, and cramp the Australian players. Someone else commented on this thread pages back, about the inability of the Australian players to be able to 1 touch the ball and for me that was on show in the 2nd half. A lot of cramped times for the Tunisians but their 1 touch football was far better than the Australians who generally needed 2 touches, then the Tunisians closed and forced the Australian players into a quick pass, with many of them missing the target and the turnover game was then right on.

I know you watch a lot of football, but surely you saw that too? Australia controlled the ball when they were given more time in the 1st half, once that extra time was closed off, it became more difficult for them to keep control of the ball and for me, thats a clear technical deficiency.
As you suggest the better teams create more time with their touch. Either first touch passes or a first touch to exactly where they want the ball to go. Mooy has a great touch. It was on full display last night. How many times did he lose a ball? Rarely. His effort was phenomonal, must be a very proud man to work his arse off like he did. He might be the slowest player at the world cup but he did everythng in his power to ensure we won that game. Now watch Leckie, if he had a good first touch he'd be playing in the top flight anywhere. His work rate and positioning is first class. But his first touch is like a sledgehammer.

I think the 2nd half was the players showing nervousness, it is phenomonally difficult to win a world cup match and I think they froze a bit because of it. I think it will help them that the Danes have to win, they know exactly how they are going to play. We may get found out but we may also get a few open looks.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Yep Mooys’ one touch efforts stand out like the proverbial K9s’ clackers compared to the rest of our team - obviously lacks speed but the class is huge and think it was his touch that opened up the run down the flank to set up our goal.

I don’t watch much soccer but it clearly stands out how clean you have to be at this level to create just a small amount of space to do anything.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Mooy was all class lossy night. Worked his arse off. But he lacked support.

Rogic would have been handy.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Spain v Germany tomorrow morning.

Cracking game.

Germany staring down the barrel at a quick exit.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Japan v Costa Rica in a couple of hours. If Japan win that's the first time they've made it out of their group (excluding when they hosted in 2002)

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Spain v Germany tomorrow morning.

Cracking game.

Germany staring down the barrel at a quick exit.

Looking forward to it. I'm all in for a Japan win tonight, which means Germany need to beat Spain or at a minimum they will need Japan to beat Spain and they will also need to beat Costa Rica by 8 goals. So should be a good game in the morning, the Germans should be going all out for a win, which might play into Spains hands. Should be a cracker.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I read in an article today that Qatar spent just under $300 billion for this tournament.
That includes 8 new stadiums! I wonder what they’ll do with them once the WC is over?
Maybe Benny could cut a deal and see if we can get some gear on the cheap for the PRO upgrade.

It also included driverless rail infrastructure, probably new hotels and other stuff. I’m not sure whether that included bribes to FIFA and others or that was a separate pot.

Bloody obscene amount of money for one World Cup.
No doubt some of the money spent will be on infrastructure that may be used after but bloody hell, that’s quite a few quid that won’t ever see a return.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I read in an article today that Qatar spent just under $300 billion for this tournament.
That includes 8 new stadiums! I wonder what they’ll do with them once the WC is over?
Maybe Benny could cut a deal and see if we can get some gear on the cheap for the PRO upgrade.

It also included driverless rail infrastructure, probably new hotels and other stuff. I’m not sure whether that included bribes to FIFA and others or that was a separate pot.

Bloody obscene amount of money for one World Cup.
No doubt some of the money spent will be on infrastructure that may be used after but bloody hell, that’s quite a few quid that won’t ever see a return.
one of the stadiums is built , in part, out of shipping containers, so they can push their "green" credentials. i though they were going to re-purpose the stadiums elsewhere- some places in Africa maybe, but i cant find that info anywhere.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Japan v Costa Rica in a couple of hours. If Japan win that's the first time they've made it out of their group (excluding when they hosted in 2002)
Watching at the moment. Still nil all as I speak. Got to say, despite Japan not really taking their chances. Gee they have some nice looking ball movements at times. Quite sharp.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Japan need to be pushing harder for a goal here. If they win, they are pretty much through. I don't see Germany beating Spain but they could get a draw and then beat Costa Rica and knock Japan out. They need a goal in these last 20 mins