FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
No fan of the coach but what he & squad have done in the last week is unparalleled in Australian football. All credit to them.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Arnold has continued to prove people wrong at every level. As a player and now a manager.

Graham James Arnold (born 3 August 1963) is an Australian soccer manager and former player. Arnold was appointed to work as an assistant coach of the Australian national soccer team in 2000. After head coach Frank Farina was sacked in 2005, Arnold worked with Guus Hiddink for the 2006 FIFA World Cup campaign, in which they made the second round of the finals. After Hiddink left, he became interim coach of the Socceroos. Arnold went on to qualify Australia's U23 men's national soccer team (nicknamed the Olyroos) for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Arnold then went on to assist Pim Verbeek for qualification of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.[2] Arnold went on take the manager role at A-League club the Central Coast Mariners between 2010 and 2013, where he guided the club to a Premiership and a Championship. He is a member of the Football Federation Australia Football Hall of Fame. Arnold went on to win two Premierships, one Championship and an FFA Cup with Sydney FC. In August 2018, Arnold was appointed head coach of the Socceroos - Australia's senior men's national soccer team.

Arnold holds a number of A-League records: he has managed the second most games of any manager in the A-League (211), he has achieved the second most wins in the competition's history (116), he has the best career winning percentage of any A-League manager (54.9%), he has the best career unbeaten percentage of any A-League manager (81.5%), and he is one of just three managers to have won multiple A-League championships.[3] In 2018 he replaced Bert van Marwijk as Australian coach after the 2018 FIFA World Cup.[4]

• Love

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Let's not just post the good bits. There's a reason Arnold as National team coach worried many soccer fans

He was then appointed to the position of Australian assistant coach in 2000, becoming interim coach in July 2006.

On 6 September 2006 Australia was defeated 2–0 in an Asian Cup qualifying game against lowly-ranked Kuwait. The FFA confirmed Arnold would remain Head Coach through to the end of 2007 Asian Cup campaign.

Australia started their Asian Cup campaign drawing with Oman in its opening Group stage game in Bangkok. Media pressure focused on Arnold and on 13 July 2007 Australia were beaten 3–1 by the eventual winners Iraq in the 2007 Asian Cup. Australia went on to be beaten by Japan in penalty shootout in the Quarter Finals. Arnold then continued in the role as Manager of the Australian U-23 side, qualifying through to the 2008 Olympics.

He was also linked with the manager's position at Bolton Wanderers and Norwich City in England but lost out to Gary Megson and Glenn Roeder respectively. With the appointment of Dutchman Pim Verbeek as the Australian manager, Arnold along with Henk Duut served as his assistant to the national side during the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

How the team have performed has been great. If we played with the same grit against France as we did this morning, there would be a lot less concern. The cynic in me says that Arnold realised he *smile* up the tactics against France and has shifted things around.

Argentina is going to be a tough game. It might break the record for the most extra time and we can see some send offs if we don't have a quality ref who can control the Sth Americans.

Not sure if the tattoo should be on the left or right cheek.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Well done Socceroos. Is there something dodgy about the Tunisia v France score?
Nah I don't think they owe us or Denmark in particular anything. Better to get the highest rated and most dangerous nations out if you can, saves facing them late in the tournament again. If the Tiges were two games clear or a massive percentage for whatever top 8 spot going into the last game, I'd hope they'd rest Jack and Cotch in particular and any players carrying long-term injuries.

And second, their history lately in the 3rd Group games at the Finals ain't that good :oops:

2002 3rd group stage game, lost to Denmark 0-2, didn't make the round of 16.
2010 lost their 3rd matchday to South Africa 1-2, didn't make the round of 16.
2014 3rd matchday with Ecuador, a 0-0 draw, made the quarter-finals.
2018 again played Denmark and drew 0-0, and going all the way to winning the Final of course.
And 2022 we know against Tunisia a loss 0-1.

Lol, the French got grouped with Denmark in 1998, 2002, 2018 and 2022, the poor Danes!! :LOL:

Last edited:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Not expecting much versus Argentina, their most surprising loss in a knockout game was against the fabled 1994 Romanian team with Hagi and Petrescu team 2-3. Generally they play stronger footballing nations like Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Mexico, Brazil at this stage of the tournament.
We would be making some BIG history with a W :notworthy:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
On the Argo note, pretty awesome to see a Mac Allister scoring for them, a bit of a slap in the face to people banging on about 'fake fans' at the Cup. You'd think we are at least 50 years past 'English looking English', 'Americans looking American', 'Argentinians looking Argentinian' and Greeks (Giannis) looking Greek ;)

I raised an eye in the 1993 World Cup games when his dad played both of those qualifying legs against us, the first leg in Sydney was amazing, we drew that one 1-1 but lost the next leg in Buenos Aires 1-0. Against Maradona, Goycoechea the goalie, Redondo and my fav BattyGol :love:
A Mac Allister, a red head playing for Argentina o_O
Imagine seeing his dad at World Cup games supporting Argentina, I'd think it was Sir Matt Busby being a traitor!! :LOL:

1669894204524.png

1669894186072.png

1669894253107.png

1669894290331.png

Last edited:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
And Belgium just like that are gone!!

Now the interesting part. Spain most likely to play V Croatia next round, Germany or Japan could finish second after all their troubles and play Morocco, which would be a lol moment for either of them :LOL:

Or :unsure: do Spain lose 1-0 to Japan, so Japan goes top and they'd then play Croatia and Spain finishing second would play Morocco. They're safe from Germany finishes second unless they beat Costa Rica 7-0. But you never mess with form man :bash

Screenshot_20221202-035559_Flashscore.jpg

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
The skill level between Spain and Japan is stark - Spain are so clean 1 touch players and are 1 nil up without getting out of first gear. Japan collecting yellow cards.

It is like watching the Argentina game against the poles, the poles couldn’t put two passes together.

So unlike the last time we made the top 16, I don’t think we have the skills to threaten Argentina or even go close.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
The skill level between Spain and Japan is stark - Spain are so clean 1 touch players and are 1 nil up without getting out of first gear. Japan collecting yellow cards.

It is like watching the Argentina game against the poles, the poles couldn’t put two passes together.

So unlike the last time we made the top 16, I don’t think we have the skills to threaten Argentina or even go close.

Can I please delete this thread - I didn’t mean any off it, it was spoken in a rash moment of blubbal.

Japan 2 Spain 1

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I watched the 3 min highlights. The Canadians just gifted Morocco a goal early at the back where the keeper got chipped after making a horrible clearance and despite going 2-0 down had a header to equalise that looked to me like it crossed the line but I assume var checks all of those.

The Belgium guy was unmarked on the back post deep in stoppage and chested it to the keeper - I guess he was trying to trap it then kick it in but could have just cheated it into the goals. No wonder he punched the dugout - potentially even I had more chance to score than mess that one up.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Who doesn't love football. After 15 minutes, Germany and Spain were through. After 70 mins, the table had flipped upside down and Japan and Costa Rica were through.

Great stuff from Japan but they are like a person with multiple personality disorder, beat Spain and Germany, lose to Costa Rica!!

BTW, how good is it for the Germans to lose due to a goal line decision again. They thought 2010 against England was payback for 1966, well suck on that one. It beat them and wasn't even in their game :rotfl2

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Let's not just post the good bits. There's a reason Arnold as National team coach worried many soccer fans

He was then appointed to the position of Australian assistant coach in 2000, becoming interim coach in July 2006.

On 6 September 2006 Australia was defeated 2–0 in an Asian Cup qualifying game against lowly-ranked Kuwait. The FFA confirmed Arnold would remain Head Coach through to the end of 2007 Asian Cup campaign.

Australia started their Asian Cup campaign drawing with Oman in its opening Group stage game in Bangkok. Media pressure focused on Arnold and on 13 July 2007 Australia were beaten 3–1 by the eventual winners Iraq in the 2007 Asian Cup. Australia went on to be beaten by Japan in penalty shootout in the Quarter Finals. Arnold then continued in the role as Manager of the Australian U-23 side, qualifying through to the 2008 Olympics.

He was also linked with the manager's position at Bolton Wanderers and Norwich City in England but lost out to Gary Megson and Glenn Roeder respectively. With the appointment of Dutchman Pim Verbeek as the Australian manager, Arnold along with Henk Duut served as his assistant to the national side during the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

How the team have performed has been great. If we played with the same grit against France as we did this morning, there would be a lot less concern. The cynic in me says that Arnold realised he *smile* up the tactics against France and has shifted things around.

Argentina is going to be a tough game. It might break the record for the most extra time and we can see some send offs if we don't have a quality ref who can control the Sth Americans.

Not sure if the tattoo should be on the left or right cheek.
Grit??? How you cannot see that we conceeded the French game to concentrate on the next 2 is beyond me. Arnold keeps defying the critics. He is all about results.

The cynic in you just witnessed history yet you are not magnaminous enough to accept you got it wrong. He's achieved more than any coach in Aust WC history. More than Aussie Guus, more than Ange. With a squad that would potentially not have a starter in the 2006 WC starting 11.

You should be hailing him as a mastercoach.

Reactions: 1 users