FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
How you cannot see that we conceeded the French game
If there is even an once of truth in that statement, it says everything about Arnold as a coach. You never concede a game, never. 4-1, lucky it didn't come down to goal difference because we would've done a Germany.

Concede a World Cup game, what *smile* nonsense.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
This photo says it was 100% out
View attachment 17562
but thats not the right angle. only a tiny part of the ball needs to be on (or above) the line. and only a camera on the line, or perfectly above the ball can show 100%.

Germany could complain this knocked them out of the WC, or they could accept that losing to Japan first up cost them.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah, I guess what "Over the line" really means is the key. I would have assumed if the ball is touching the ground 100% past the line, the ball is out. But if it means that even if it's touching out, but some of the ball is still not completely past the vertical plane of the outside of the line, then it's just in.

Either way, final decision stands and the Germans are out, again.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
So far the best WC in my memory, wild!!

Germany blew their qualification by not taking advantage of a dominant 1st half v Japan. Spain almost did the same but were helped by the late German goal frenzy v Costa Rica.

Hope Sth Korea can overcome Portugal though a Ghana win v Uruguay in their 'revenge' match will render the Korean efforts meaningless

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Leysy is eating humble pie. Like most, didn't think this group of misfits (including the coach) could deliver anywhere near what they have.

Bloody glad got up and watched it. What a performance, so well organised. And how good is Harry Souttar.

Arnold is now a master coach.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
If there is even an once of truth in that statement, it says everything about Arnold as a coach. You never concede a game, never. 4-1, lucky it didn't come down to goal difference because we would've done a Germany.

Concede a World Cup game, what *smile* nonsense.
Its about getting through the group stage. Master plan from a master coach.

According to results Arnold is the greatest coach in Aust WC history. 2 wins, 2 clean sheets. Previously unheard of.

Arnold = Master Coach

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Gotta sympathise with Japan. They beat Germany and Spain to top their group, then cop Croatia in the Round of 16. That's how tough this tournament is. But no doubt they are good enough to beat Croatia.

FYI, it was a fair goal. 100%.

But it's great to see so much conjecture about it in the media. Everyone is talking about the World Cup right now. I was surprised to turn the TV on 2 days ago and there was a test cricket game going on. Who knew?

He'd have to set foot in Australia first. ;)

Tbh, he has set foot in Australia. He did his ACL at CommBank stadium 12 months ago. Before that, some big Premier League clubs were chasing him (including Tottenham). They'll be fighting for his signature come January. Absolute gun.

Its almost inarguable the Socceroos are the one side that unites more of Australia than any other national team.

There are 2 reasons for this:
- There is no north/south divide like we have got AFL and the rugby codes.
- The sport embraces all cultures. Cricket also crosses the north/south divide, but it's primarily an Anglo/Subcontinental sport.

Just wait for the Women's World Cup next Winter when women's sport gets embraced like it never has.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That ain't out
Yeah, as I said above if that's how the rule is meant to be, so be it.

But a lot of these rules were brought in before we had the technology to judge down to the milimetre. I can tell you in my many years of playing soccer, 9,999 out of 10,000 linesmen would have flagged that as out.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, as I said above if that's how the rule is meant to be, so be it.

But a lot of these rules were brought in before we had the technology to judge down to the milimetre. I can tell you in my many years of playing soccer, 9,999 out of 10,000 linesmen would have flagged that as out.
Did the linesman flag this one as out - or was it the 1 in 10,000 occurrence?

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Did the linesman flag this one as out - or was it the 1 in 10,000 occurrence?
Refs called it out. Not sure if the Linesman got into the right position to make a call. VAR called the Ref over to review.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Are you one of those people who still reckon we should have sacked Hardwick in 2016??
Its a similar argument. Arnold's achievements with this squad are remarkable. But he's still a dud. Go figure.