FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Are you one of those people who still reckon we should have sacked Hardwick in 2016??
I never offered to tattoo Dimma face on my butt if he took us to the Flag.

Which reminds me, where's that bloke that promised to build a statue of Dimma if he won us a flag? Probably back with a different name to avoid the humiliation.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Good point Jazzy about whether any of this team would get a start in the 2006 team (let's not forget Tim Cahill started on the bench against Japan). Souttar would. Anyone else?

I read a good point about why the Socceroos unite Australia better than any other team - because they are more a mirror of who we are. Ethnically diverse: Anglos, all kinds of wogs, Africans, Turks. Christians, Muslims, miscellaneous, probably even the odd atheist.

They all speak with the same accent though. It needs to be documented: Aussie soccer accent. The Anglo-named Matt Ryan and Craig Foster sound like they could be named Mile Jedinak and John Aloisi.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Good point Jazzy about whether any of this team would get a start in the 2006 team (let's not forget Tim Cahill started on the bench against Japan). Souttar would. Anyone else?
Mooy over Wilkshire & Skoko

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I read a good point about why the Socceroos unite Australia better than any other team - because they are more a mirror of who we are. Ethnically diverse: Anglos, all kinds of wogs, Africans, Turks. Christians, Muslims, miscellaneous, probably even the odd atheist.
i reckon the scarcity of games builds the excitement. more people follow cricket than football, but every other week there is some sort of cricket on. even a world cup just fades into insignificance, cos the same teams will be playing another game a week or 2 later.
the socceroos play friendlys, the asian cup etc, but they fly under the radar. when the world cup is on every is suddenly on board.

the other factor is, once every 4 years our team is on the same pitch as Messi, Son, Ronald, MacQuire, we are competing against the absolute best. it builds the "underdog" status that we love.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Rule in AFL when anyone's paying attention is that the entire ball has to be outside the line, from those pictures I'd say the same rule applies in soccer. The only point of argument is the quality of the technology to review and adjudicate from.
World cup soccer, I'd guess they have truckloads of mega tech happening. AFL they have a pimply 15 year old with an I-phone taking selfies.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
With so many enthralling finishes and drama in recent days, FIFA has decided to revisit the format for 2026.

It was going to be 16 groups of 3, but now they're considering 12 groups of 4. That would allow them to keep the simultaneous kickoffs for the final group games. It would add about 40 games to the schedule.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's been a ripping last round of the group stages. Timing sucks where I am but it does most world cups. Last round being played at the same time might be good for the excitement, but not great if you want to watch the matches at 3am while still in bed.

Swiss v Serbs was heated. Nearly came to blows a couple of times. In fact was surprised VAR didn't get involved to send a couple off.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Don't get confused, the times listed are Perth times.
There's bound to be an upset or two in that round of 16, but on reputation you'd have the Dutch, Argies, Croats, Brazilians, French, Senegalese, Spanish & Portuguese in the quarters.

1670023164769.png

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Senegal over England!! Not IMO. I'll also take Japan over Croatia.

Pretty sure there's always been an African team in the quarter finals for a few world cups now, maybe since Roger Milla and Cameroon woke everyone up to African soccer in 1990. So unless you think Morocco will beat Spain, it has to be Senegal.

I don't rate the English team that highly. As for Japan v Croatia, Japan's ability to lose matches after a big win is part of their DNA.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Been a cracking World Cup. One thing I've liked is that just about every soft bullsh1t penalty seems to have been saved.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
With so many enthralling finishes and drama in recent days, FIFA has decided to revisit the format for 2026.

It was going to be 16 groups of 3, but now they're considering 12 groups of 4. That would allow them to keep the simultaneous kickoffs for the final group games. It would add about 40 games to the schedule.
With 16 groups of three is it the 16 winners that go through?

12 groups of 4 will be tricky as 24 will go through

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Pretty sure there's always been an African team in the quarter finals for a few world cups now, maybe since Roger Milla and Cameroon woke everyone up to African soccer in 1990. So unless you think Morocco will beat Spain, it has to be Senegal.

I don't rate the English team that highly. As for Japan v Croatia, Japan's ability to lose matches after a big win is part of their DNA.
The interesting region to actually have a pretty solid World Cup thus far is our own - Asia.

I think it was in the last World Cup that the results from AFC countries had the establishment a bit concerned at the state of the game in the confederation.

Been turned around this time. Japan, South Korea and Australia through to the next round. And Saudi Arabia plus Iran coming away with some decent performances and wins (albeit seriously lacking consistency), despite not progressing.

I still think the region should be cut in two and perhaps Oceania being disbanded.

A West Asia confederation being the Middle East, the ex Soviet west and central Asian republics, plus South Asia (Subcontinent region). An East Asia-Pacific confederation being East and South East Asia plus Oceania.

Reactions: 1 user