FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Wow. This is a bigger result than Australia beating France

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Huge result and well deserved Saudis. Argentina seemed very flat, seemed to think it would just happen for them. Now for Mexico and Poland to send these pricks back to South America at the 1st opportunity.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Congratulations to star A-League player Craig Goodwin. Brilliant pass from Leckie. We didn't score a goal from general play in Russia. Took 9 minutes in Qatar

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Typical game from an Arnold coached team. Apart from a 10 minute patch early where we scored it has been boring, insipid, uninspiring, timid football.

Harry Kewell has summed it up perfectly. We have not even tried to score since the first goal. First thought is always pass backwards. You deserve all you get when you play that conservative rubbish. At least have a crack.

Reactions: 5 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Typical game from an Arnold coached team. Apart from a 10 minute patch early where we scored it has been boring, insipid, uninspiring, timid football.

Harry Kewell has summed it up perfectly. We have not even tried to score since the first goal. First thought is always pass backwards. You deserve all you get when you play that conservative rubbish. At least have a crack.

Yep pretty poor apart from that patch. About what I expected.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
This must be the easily the least talented and worst coached Socceroos team to make a world cup.

At least harass, defend and try and put the opposition under some sort of pressure.

Sure France are a good team, but that was an soft insipid performance.

No ambition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Thought we’d get beaten 4-0 so good result !

Heh heh heh Argentina. In such a soft group that they probably thought they’d just breeze through without trying.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I watched the second half - Aussies body language terrible, they looked like they had given up, they could barely string together 3 passes without turnover.

It reminded me of the wc game against Germany, we were outclassed everywhere and it was like a social club playing against a professional team.

2 games to go……….

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I don't wanna sound like a broken record, but I think Arnold got his tactics wrong this morning. Mbappe should have been manmarked for mine. Atkinson isn't up to this level just yet.

Our CBs were solid but our fullbacks were terrible. We need to go all out to win against Tunisia. Let's move to the old school 4-4-2 diamond.

Hrustic must start on Saturday night as well as Cumdog and McLaren.

Bring on Kuol earlier, not when the game is over.

I would also consider a proper mongrel DM (Devlin???) ahead of Mooy who couldn't hit the side of a barn door this morning.

I think we made a huge mistake not selecting Rogic.

France were just too good, but there are lessons to be learnt.

Finally, Goodwin is the best player in the A-League for mine and deserves to start all 3 games.

FYI, Kewell was great as a commentator.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I thought Kewell and even then Bosnich were incredibly negative. Bosnich asking why they are getting worse, 2-1 4 years ago to 4-1 this year. This Aussie team is weak IMO, there are some kids coming through but the quality at this moment is not good, I was expecting them to lose by 3-4 so its about par.

Sure I agree the coaching and tactics is poor, but when you know you are much weaker than the opposition, the focus is on containing them rather than being expressive as the likelihood is you will be scored more heavily against. I think the tactics were to limit the loss in this game, in case goal difference comes into play for the 2nd placed team later in the group stages, hence why there was very little attacking intent. Would people have been happier if they had tried to attack and left glaring holes in defence? Leckie for example, was never going to be given too much licence going forward as Mbappe was always going to be way too good for Atkinson so they needed to drop the winger back to try and protect the full back position and limit the damage of Mbappe.

Bosnich asked at the end what Australia need to do to stop the gap widening between the best players. They firstly need to strengthen the A League to keep quality Aussie players here for longer and avoid the sort of sale that Kuol has just gone through where very little money comes back into the league from the sale. When 20 of your 26 players are from the A League, that should be obvious to Bosnich why they can't suddenly compete with a well drilled outfit like the French and the quality of players they have. The french aren't as arrogant as the Argies and particularly with the Argies losing earlier in the day, that didn't help the Aussies, as the French would have ensured they wouldn't become complacent in this game.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
What do we expect with a team coached by Arnie? He has no tactical nous. At 2-1 down he persisted with the tactics of sitting back and inviting the French to attack.

Continuing to play 5 at the back when losing shows the mentality he has.