FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
all good. the point still remains that there is a strong chance that goal difference will be our only way into the knockout stages.

Agreed, and draws might be good enough, but a win for any of the teams in Australias last 2 games, will open up the group for that team.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I don't think anyone thinks Australia are going in as favourites, but you don't go to a WC without a plan of how to get out of the group stage. The Aussies would have planned for limiting the damage against France, pushing for a win against Tunisia and hoping to hold the Danes to a draw.

Planning for that, and actually realising it are 2 completely different things, but the comments were in relation to how they played against France. I have no doubt that they will be more attacking on Saturday, whether that results in a change of outcome, only time will tell, but at this stage, I would think most neutrals would expect Australia to finish bottom of the group, which in a way is good for Australia as they have little to lose by going for the win on Saturday.
Limiting the damage? You dont sit back against one of the best teams in the world and invite pressure.

Under Arnold there is no plan and no game style.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Limiting the damage? You dont sit back against one of the best teams in the world and invite pressure.

Under Arnold there is no plan and no game style.

You think they would have won if they had taken the game to France? Leaving far more room for the likes of Mbappe and Dembele?

Seems you might be seriously under rating the quality of the current World Champions.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It depends. Most cases I'd agree with you, but this is a league system.

If Australia lost 6-0 instead of 4-1, then finished level with say Denmark on 4 points at the end of the group stage, but Denmark lost 4-0 to the French (unlikely to happen I know) and Australia failed to qualify due to those extra 3 goals conceded, would you still be so bravado? I doubt it, and most likely you would be on here, slamming them for being so blaise against the French and not trying to protect and reduce the loss.

They went in there with clearly a defensive plan to limit the impact that the French had. They were probably hoping to keep the loss to 2 or 3 goals IMO, with the aim that they would target the Tunisia game in particular for a win and then try and grind out a draw with Denmark and hope that would be enough to qualify.
Nup. I don't expect us to get out of the Group. France and Denmark are too good. What I expect is to see a young team that is developing a style that will take them forward to better international performances in years to come. That was deer in the headlights stuff today; we were totally intimidated by France. Like a suburban footy team playing a top 4 AFL team.

That was a very boring and disappointing performance but again that is on the coach. He has always been like that. To be fair to the players, they are obviously a fair way off the level of the French, but they are not totally hopeless. That first goal a case in point. Beautiful long ball from Mooy (I think?) to Leckie who showed exquisite control and then a superb cross to Goodwoin for a clinical finish. It was world class play. But then they just retreated into their shells and played timid for the rest of the game.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You think they would have won if they had taken the game to France? Leaving far more room for the likes of Mbappe and Dembele?

Seems you might be seriously under rating the quality of the current World Champions.
Not sure anyone said we'd win, but at least give yourself a chance by taking the game on.

Don't give yourself that chance and you're guaranteed to lose

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
you might rather a 6-0 loss, but a 4-1 loss still gives us a slight chance to get through in goal difference if we draw our next 2. a 6-0 loss would not.
"So you're telling me there's a chance?" :mhihi

We've got next to no hope of progressing with a -3 goal difference after the first game. Unless we can miraculously beat both Denmark and Tunisia. But to me that's not the point; it's about the way we play and try to develop this young and inexperienced team. This is great experience for them and we should make the most of the opportunity; not just park the bus and hope for nil all draws.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I have no doubt that they will be more attacking on Saturday, whether that results in a change of outcome, only time will tell, but at this stage, I would think most neutrals would expect Australia to finish bottom of the group, which in a way is good for Australia as they have little to lose by going for the win on Saturday.
Fair call. I hope you are right.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

We've got next to no hope of progressing with a -3 goal difference after the first game. Unless we can miraculously beat both Denmark and Tunisia. But to me that's not the point; it's about the way we play and try to develop this young and inexperienced team. This is great experience for them and we should make the most of the opportunity; not just park the bus and hope for nil all draws.
we only need to win 1, and draw the other, and expect France not to lose. not sure why that should be so hard!

or draw both and hope France win by 3 or more in all their games.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not sure anyone said we'd win, but at least give yourself a chance by taking the game on.

Don't give yourself that chance and you're guaranteed to lose

As I've said, I think the plan was always damage limitation against the French. They didn't expect to win and decided that their best chance of progression was to limit the goal difference.

They should be far more attacking in the last 2 games, if they aren't then I will join the chorus of discontent on Arnold as you cannot go to the world cup and hope to progress with nil nil draws, it doesn't work.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

The draw between Tunisia and Denmark has opened this opportunity up though regardless of goal difference. Win 1 and draw the other, then hope France do their job and beat both (they've lost to Denmark twice recently btw) and Australia can progress.

I don't expect they will qualify, but I would expect them to be far more attacking in the last 2 games. If they aren't then Arnold has to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Maybe, or maybe they just played the way they've been coached to play by Arnold.

You can't limit damage against France by sitting back and inviting them to attack. You've got to attack back and try to disrupt their gamepan. But to do that we'd need to find a coach who understands what a game plan is and have the ability to read one.

You get one chance at these teams. The first game of your group you must go all out. other matches you can tweek a little depending on if you have to win or have to stop a loss. But not the first game.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The draw between Tunisia and Denmark has opened this opportunity up though regardless of goal difference. Win 1 and draw the other, then hope France do their job and beat both (they've lost to Denmark twice recently btw) and Australia can progress.

I don't expect they will, but I would expect them to be far more attacking in the last 2 games. If they aren't then Arnold has to go.
Yes many permutations and combinations. I was hoping for a win or a draw against Tunisia but can't see us beating or drawing with Denmark who has beaten France twice in recent times. But yeah if we can get a win and a draw, and Denmark and Tunisia both lose to France then we're in :cupgold

Highly unlikely though. But just play more attacking football lads. In other words ignore everything Arnold says.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Hun says there's a brawl between Aussie and French fans. Where's this? Hooligans at Fed Square?

rocsta75

Tiger Rookie
Sep 18, 2014
Agree on all points Bin.
Has Arnold ever got his tactics right? He also never changes tactics mid game waits to long to make sub then generally like for like. Good A league coach but not a a world stage coach.

rocsta75

Tiger Rookie
Sep 18, 2014
Maybe, or maybe they just played the way they've been coached to play by Arnold.

You can't limit damage against France by sitting back and inviting them to attack. You've got to attack back and try to disrupt their gamepan. But to do that we'd need to find a coach who understands what a game plan is and have the ability to read one.

You get one chance at these teams. The first game of your group you must go all out. other matches you can tweek a little depending on if you have to win or have to stop a loss. But not the first game.
Agree. We sat back an invited the pressure but deep in our defensive half. There were no hard tackles, shoving, general rough play that Australia had historically. The French had time on the ball as there was not defensive pressure on the ball carrier

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Oh come on Posh where did I say that? Of course they werent going to beat them. However at least have a plan to limit their influence on the contest. We parked the bus and still copped 4. The few times we did press we forced France to cough up possession. This was highlighted with Duke almost scoring a ripper when he won it in our front third. Our goal was a great build up. Attacking style that rattled the French. We at least provided a contest in those few moments. But our great coach was hell bent on parking the bus and hoping somehow France would have a bad day in front of goal.

Reactions: 4 users