FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
My mate, a soccer lover and punter had this bet...

"Soccerroos not to score a goal in the World Cup" 16-1.

Had quite a bit of money on it "hundreds"

Gone in 9mins. ha.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
My mate, a soccer lover and punter had this bet...

"Soccerroos not to score a goal in the World Cup" 16-1.

Had quite a bit of money on it "hundreds"

Gone in 9mins. ha.
Then the Frogs go and Ship 4 goals afterwards .................................... Faaarrken!!

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Reckon some of the games world powers have got more problems than Australia :unsure:

Italy
Argentina
Germany
:mhihi

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Reckon some of the games world powers have got more problems than Australia :unsure:

Italy
Argentina
Germany
:mhihi

Germany is a massive shock and puts them under massive pressure. With Spain also in that group, it now makes it hard for Germany to qualify.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Germany 1 Japan 2

If Arnold was Japan's coach it would have been 4-1 to Germany.

Japan and Saudi, two teams that came through our qualifying. The qualifying everyone in know thought we'd waltz through. Japan who were expected to be the shock team to not qualify.

Why have those two teams toppled giants while we handed Vaseline to the French so it wouldn't hurt too much? Because Graham *smile* Arnold was allowed to take our team to the World Cup after scraping through qualifying by the skin of our teeth.

We're getting what we deserve while watching teams we had the measure of play attacking football and taking on their opponents instead of conceding the game before it started.

*smile* Arnold. *smile* idiot. I'm *smile* ropable.

Reactions: 4 users

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Canada, though 0-1 v Belgium, also showing what positive attitude, energy & method can do v much higher fancied opposition.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Sam Edmund (typical SEN moron) is drinking the PRE kool-aid. The socceroos should just come out and boss the pitch. All out attack, control the ball and be aggressive.

I read what a poor side we have yet people expect us to simply take control of games and smash in goals?? FFS its just moronic.

Japan showed what a clearly superior outfit they are to the Socceroos during qualifying. No surprise to see them play well against Germany, who are not the powerhouse they once were.

Let's hold the crucifiction until we play the 3 games.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Sam Edmund (typical SEN moron) is drinking the PRE kool-aid. The socceroos should just come out and boss the pitch. All out attack, control the ball and be aggressive.

I read what a poor side we have yet people expect us to simply take control of games and smash in goals?? FFS its just moronic.

Japan showed what a clearly superior outfit they are to the Socceroos during qualifying. No surprise to see them play well against Germany, who are not the powerhouse they once were.

nah, we should play more like Costa Rica, im sure their fans are happy they didnt play defensive (at least I hope they didnt!)

we actually scored against the best team in the world, while 10 teams have been held scoreless.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Germany 1 Japan 2

If Arnold was Japan's coach it would have been 4-1 to Germany.

Japan and Saudi, two teams that came through our qualifying. The qualifying everyone in know thought we'd waltz through. Japan who were expected to be the shock team to not qualify.

Why have those two teams toppled giants while we handed Vaseline to the French so it wouldn't hurt too much? Because Graham *smile* Arnold was allowed to take our team to the World Cup after scraping through qualifying by the skin of our teeth.

We're getting what we deserve while watching teams we had the measure of play attacking football and taking on their opponents instead of conceding the game before it started.

*smile* Arnold. *smile* idiot. I'm *smile* ropable.
Those two teams are way better than us.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Of course they are, they don't have Graham Arnold as their coach.

Its way more than that.

We can say the Saudis got lucky with a complacent Argentina.
Japan beating Germany was as big a shock IMO and is probably the better achievement of the 2.
BTW - France are a better side than both of them.

But lets take a look at Japan, just because they are in the same qualifying area doesn't mean you can easily say we are the same quality as they are.

Whilst not an exact science (clearly) the clubs and leagues players play in generally gives an indication of the talent available.

Japan - 16 players played against German. 11 of them play in what I would regard to be the best leagues in the world (2 in the EPL, 1 in La Liga, 7 in the Bedsliga and 1 in Ligue 1), they then have 5 in secondary leagues (1 in the SPL, 3 in the J League and 1 in the 2.Bundesliga).

Australia also used 16 players. Just 1 plays in thos top leagues (Mabil at Cadiz). 15 of them play in secondary leagues (5 in the SPL, 2 in the Championship, 1 in the J League, 1 in the 2.Bundesliga, 1 in MLS, 1 in Denmark and the remaining 4 in the A League).

The quality difference between Japan and Australia is there to see. If you want to back it up with qualifying. Australia played both Japan and Saudi Arabia in qualifying, lost 3 times (twice to Japan), drew 1 and scored 1 goal in 4 games against those 2 teams.

You can argue all you want about the way they played, the outcome was unlikely to be different, especially on a day in the world cup where 1 major nation had already lost to complacency. What do you think Deschamps's pre game teamtalk was about??

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm not arguing, just pointing out the obvious.

Our squad, our chances, our game plan, our fight, our refusal to be timid were all thrown out the window when Arnold was appointed.

It's the way we're approaching games and playing that's killing us a lot more than personnel chosen for the squad.

But we shouldn't be surprised, the FFA wanted to give Arnold every *smile* chance to prove he's better than Ange, even if it risked missing the world cup.

Reactions: 2 users

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Apologies if underrating their quality but perhaps Canada a more appropriate comparison v Australia, though they also lost.

The remaining group games will 'tell the tale' but I'm more positive about Canada's prospects and approach than Australia under Arnold.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Wow. Japan nearly 0-2 last night and end up beating the Germans. The penalty might have been a bit tough as most were calling it a yellow card on the Japanese GK. Well done Japan. Same outcome as the Argies.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Apologies if underrating their quality but perhaps Canada a more appropriate comparison v Australia, though they also lost.

The remaining group games will 'tell the tale' but I'm more positive about Canada's prospects and approach than Australia under Arnold.

Canada probably is a bit more similar to Australia, but I'd still argue that their better players are a lot better than Australia's.

This squad for Australia doesn't have the star power that you normally look at when you see Australia in the WC. whether that be players like Bosnich or Schwarzer in goal, or outfield players such as Kewell, Viduka, Cahill, Bresciano, Emerton or even Mooy is a shadow of his former self when we was playing so well in the Premier League. I see very little star quality right now in the squad, maybe some of the younger guys will come on, but most are not at that level.

Even countries like Canada have star players playing well in European leagues, such as Davies (at Bayern) or David (at Lille). Similarly to Australia, the Canada squad has a majority playing in their domestic leagues (Canada in MLS and Australia with the A League), but against the better nations to get anything out of them, you need star quality and I fail to see any of it with Australia.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

You missing the point MD.

Its not about taking control of the game and keeping possession like we are a team ranked in the top 10. Its about pushing higher up the field, squeezing up the opposition and limiting their impact on the game. Its called pressure on the ball carrier.

What we witnessed against France, was nothing but that.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Its not about taking control of the game and keeping possession like we are a team ranked in the top 10. Its about pushing higher up the field, squeezing up the opposition and limiting their impact on the game. Its called pressure on the ball carrier.

Spot on Smoking. It's how we're playing, not the cattle that's lamentable. This isn't the way we've known to play. We're often outclassed in the world cup, but we have a crack and make life difficult for whoever we play.

Arnold has no *smile* idea and has ruined the team.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I understand what you are getting at, but I suspect they also thought that generally the full backs are a bit suspect, so the higher you press up the field, the higher your defensive line (in order to remain compact) and then the more space you give Mbappe and Dembele.

In what way would you push up? The entire team, leaving your defensive line much further up the field, or push the wingers into more attacking positions to try and push France back, but exposing the full backs to more 1 on 1 battles with Mbappe and Dembele? Mbappe was taking the *smile* out of Atkinson at times, trying to nutmeg him etc, he knew he was a far far better player.

You make it sound like "just pressing up" is super easy and there is no downside. There was a pretty big one, if it meant that Mbappe and Dembele had an even bigger impact on the game.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I understand what you are getting at, but I suspect they also thought that generally the full backs are a bit suspect, so the higher you press up the field, the higher your defensive line (in order to remain compact) and then the more space you give Mbappe and Dembele.

In what way would you push up? The entire team, leaving your defensive line much further up the field, or push the wingers into more attacking positions to try and push France back, but exposing the full backs to more 1 on 1 battles with Mbappe and Dembele? Mbappe was taking the *smile* out of Atkinson at times, trying to nutmeg him etc, he knew he was a far far better player.

You make it sound like "just pressing up" is super easy and there is no downside. There was a pretty big one, if it meant that Mbappe and Dembele had an even bigger impact on the game.
You've obviously got a lot more experience trying to defend your national teams performance in the World Cup than I do, but for me at least it's less about the result and more about how we've been going about it.

Losing 4-1 to the WC Holders isn't so bad. Losing to them 4-1 trying to defend, contain and park a bus across the 18yard box is not what Australian teams are known for. It's not how we, always under skilled and manned, take on the best teams in the world. Losing 4-1 but throwing everything at them, being assertive, hitting tackles hard, pushing and hassling and making their life hell would be acceptable.

If we don't attack, we don't score. In the first game of the World Cup you throw everything out there. Once the first games are done in your group you can start to tinker with a more defensive game if you need to prevent a loss, or a more attacking if you need a win.

The only chance Australia had of getting into the 2nd round of this group is by throwing caution to the wind and just going for it. Try to play a containing game will guarantee we go home on the first flight after our third match.