FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Might as well start a thread on the 22 World Cup. On paper this looks like the weakest Australian team we've sent to the World Cup this century. Not sure we'll manage a win at all. Japan & Korea not looking good either. Our confederation won't do too well.

Brazil are my pick, with England getting knocked out in the Qtr finals on penalties.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Might as well start a thread on the 22 World Cup. On paper this looks like the weakest Australian team we've sent to the World Cup this century. Not sure we'll manage a win at all. Japan & Korea not looking good either. Our confederation won't do too well.

Brazil are my pick, with England getting knocked out in the Qtr finals on penalties.
Didn't Ant start one just before?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Don't know, I have Ant on ignore.

No, I don't, but I had a quick look on the first page and didn't see a thread nor much discussion considering we released our squad. Mods, if there is another, please merge

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Here is the squad:

TODAYa.jpg

My view is that Langerak and Davidson missing out on the expense of Vukovoic and King is an absolute disgrace.

Firstly, Langerak is the number 1 keeper by some margin. Ryan can barely get a start in the Danish league while Langerak had had 15 more clean sheets over the past 2 years than Vukovic and Redmayne combined playing in Japan. It’s a bloody joke.

And Davidson is the best fullback in the country by the length of the Flemington straight. Has been killing in it Belgium and has played every game.

Arnold has been known to pick his favourites and hasn’t disappointed. Arnold apologists will claim dropping Sainsbury (his son in law) proves he doesn’t play favourites, but this has been a systemic problem for the past 4 years.

It looks weak on paper because 19 of the 26 either started out in the A-League or are currently in the A-League and many of the names are unknown to casual observers. But when you look at the players not picked, I would say it’s a squad that can and should be competitive. If Arnold wasn’t coach, I believe we would be good enough get out of the group.

If you haven't heard the name Garang Kuol, you soon will. He just signed for Newcastle United in the premier league. This guy isn’t another Daniel Arzani from 4 years ago. This kid is the real deal. Gun with a capital G.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah, hopefully Kuol gets a decent chance to show what he can do. Shame Volpato has decided to keep his options open. He reminds me of Bresciano. Langerak's omission just makes no sense at all.

Arnold isn't a coach's *smile* so I expect us to lose every game.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Shame Volpato has decided to keep his options open.

I'm pretty p!ssed off at Volpato. Isn’t it every Footballers dream to go to a world cup? Its not like he was raised in Italy. He was born, raised and learned the game here. He just has a chip on his shoulder because he was overlooked by A-League teams here.

But he’s only 18 and I am willing to forgive him if he commits to Australia by 2026.

With Souttar and Rowles down back, the likes of Volpato and Hrustic in the midfield and the Kuol brothers on the flanks, the future looks bright.

Oh, and congratulations to Kevin Muscat for wining the J1-League.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm pretty p!ssed off at Volpato. Isn’t it every Footballers dream to go to a world cup? Its not like he was raised in Italy. He was born, raised and learned the game here. He just has a chip on his shoulder because he was overlooked by A-League teams here.

But he’s only 18 and I am willing to forgive him if he commits to Australia by 2026.

With Souttar and Rowles down back, the likes of Volpato and Hrustic in the midfield and the Kuol brothers on the flanks, the future looks bright.
I don't see it like that at all. He's keeping his options open. Certainly a better career move for him if he can get an Italian jersey. Not sure if he's carrying a chip as such as giving is past coaches a big FU. He's not the first and he won't be the last.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Don't know, I have Ant on ignore.

No, I don't, but I had a quick look on the first page and didn't see a thread nor much discussion considering we released our squad. Mods, if there is another, please merge

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

from all reports it would have been great to have him representing Australia into the future, but I cant blame him for wanting to consider his option to represent Italy. He obviously plays and lives there now, making international duty easier, and less taxing with less travel. he would be influenced by those around him, and of course he has a much greater chance of experiencing real international success playing for Italy, their current failure to qualify notwithstanding.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
£12 or $AUS21 for a pint of beer in Qatar. o_O

When i was doing my research on Qatar, i was told their massive alcohol tax would be temporarily cut. $21 looks horrific, but if you look hard enough in Melbourne, there are pubs that wouldn’t be that far away form that.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
When i was doing my research on Qatar, i was told their massive alcohol tax would be temporarily cut. $21 looks horrific, but if you look hard enough in Melbourne, there are pubs that wouldn’t be that far away form that.
Also depends on what theirs is like.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Can’t even buy a beer during the games now. The average soccer supporter would love to know which officials voted for Qatar to host.

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
Pretty cheap compared to this.

Who cares about Ukraine v Russia when this crime against humanity has been committed. I blame that non drinker Trump...