FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Exactly what I was saying during the week though, this isn't a strong Australia squad, and their ball retention is a clear sign of that.

Its interesting watching this as an England / Australia supporter. I can definitely see trends with England in the apparent "golden generation" in the late 90's, early 2000's. We were strong enough to beat easy opposition, but it was very clear that our technical skills were nowhere near the best countries in the world, hence why we could generally get to quarters but then struggle. We went away and looked at the academy setup and invested a lot of money in technical coaching to catch up with the other European and South American countries and I think we are finally seeing some of that come to fruition.

Hopefully Australia look at this and invest where its needed, we have a big enough country to be able to have a stronger domestic league and International team.
We'll take Foden and TAA of you seeing you don't like to use your creatively best players, we need some of that talent down here!! :eyes

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
All four in Group C still have a chance to qualify to the Round of 16. All to play for in game 3 Thursday morning - 5.00am - Poland v Argentina, Saudi Arabia v Mexico

Screenshot_20221127-065829_Flashscore.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Start following soccer more than once every 4 years and you might be able to undrstand what the Arnold lament is all about.

Tonights win is fantastic. To imply me, or anyone who has bitched about the squad, is sucking eggs over an Aussie win just taking dickheadishness to a new level.

But while the win was great for us in this world cup, anyone with a little understanding of the game knows a 1-0 win doesn't change what's been happening under Arnold tenor.

Our goal, while the finish was exquisite, was a result of a poor cross that took a fortunate deflection. One inch higher or lower and that deflection wouldn't have sat up for that goal.

You walk away from a 1-0 win happy that luck went your way. It doesn vindicate anything.
Just as I thought. It was a lucky win.

Any acknowledgment of the massive achievement? No defending your ridiculous commentary after one game.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Any acknowledgment of the massive achievement? No defending your ridiculous commentary after one game.

Of course there is acknowledgement and posted as such. Any win in the World Cup is a good win that should be celebrated. You're again being a *smile* trying to imply I / the anti-Arnold mob are not happy we won.

But you keep believing a 1-0 against Tunisia changes 4 years of Arnold's coaching champ, you're on a winner there.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Did you watch the entire game? Or just watch the 3 minute highlight reel?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Its all opening up for us.
We will get Saudi Arabia in the 1st knock out game, then probably the Netherlands- tough, but not as tough as others.
Then Portugal or Belgium in the semis. Again, though but not impossible.
Beating France or Brazil in the final might be just a tad unrealistic though.
Arnold could end up with the job for life.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Of course there is acknowledgement and posted as such. Any win in the World Cup is a good win that should be celebrated. You're again being a *smile* trying to imply I / the anti-Arnold mob are not happy we won.

But you keep believing a 1-0 against Tunisia changes 4 years of Arnold's coaching champ, you're on a winner there.
Only commenting on the post game 1 PRE meltdown. #eggonface

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Its all opening up for us.
We will get Saudi Arabia in the 1st knock out game, then probably the Netherlands- tough, but not as tough as others.
Then Portugal or Belgium in the semis. Again, though but not impossible.
Beating France or Brazil in the final might be just a tad unrealistic though.
Arnold could end up with the job for life.

If we make it to the final, I'll get Arnold tattooed on my left cheek.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I haven't seen as much of the Socceroos as some of you, but is it ultra defensive tactics or an inability to keep and control the ball. Certainly in the 2nd half there, Australia won the ball back well, but then struggled to retain it and they more often than not gave it back to Tunisia too easily. This is a technical rather than a tactical deficiency but will result in having much less of the ball, and appearing to "sit back" even if that isn't the main tactic.

How many teams in this world cup are worse technically than Australia. Certainly Qatar are, maybe Costa Rica? Other than those 2, I think every other team appear much more comfortable on the ball.
Interesting viewpoint Posh. Our inability to retain possession is one of the great frustrations of watching the Australian team play IMO. Is it a lack of technical skill or tactical deficiencies? Probably a combination of both. We played really well in the first half and scored a tremendous goal. But in the second half we just seemed content to give the ball straight back and let Tunisia come at us; basically just defend from the penalty box.

That said it was magnificent to get a result after what I thought was a really disappointing showing against France. This is only our 3rd ever win in World Cup finals so it is no mean feat! I’m no fan of Arnold’s and think we could be so much better with a better coach but he got the result so hats off to him; well done. Also congratulations to the players, a great achievement.

If we can scrape a draw (or a win!) against the Danes and the French don’t lose to Tunisia we are through. Good luck lads and be bold!

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Please tell us we have no chance of getting a result against Denmark.

We last played Denmark in the 2018 World Cup and drew 1 - 1 so maybe the dream in alive. All we need is a draw to progress assuming France win or draw.

Some trivia from that game

Mile Jedinak was captain and became the first Australian player to score three or more goals in World Cup finals history with all of them being penalties - is this true (Edit yes as first to score 3 penalties) as Cahill has 5 WC goals over 3 campaigns and has a third of all our WC goals (we have scored 15 times)

Australia's penalty ended a run of nine hours and 31 minutes (571 minutes) without conceding in international games for Denmark's goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

Denmark's Andreas Cornelius came on as a sub wearing shirt number 21 in the 21st match of the 21st World Cup finals on 21 June 2018 [c/o Gracenote].

And
Australia had till last night failed to keep a clean sheet in each of their last 13 World Cup finals games; the joint-longest current such run along with Saudi Arabia