First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ?

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
And forgotten years by the killers… never heard a better live rendition prior to or since…

Reactions: 3 users

DeathNinthandTaxes

Richmond 'till we die
Nov 4, 2007
3 norms means Jack - be elite and BOG for majority of your career and then come back to me - anyone can show up for one game and get the awards.
Be interesting to hear what your definition of 'elite' is if Dustin Martin is not it. In the Top 10 Brownlow vote getters of all time, top 3 for average votes per game, 41 BOG and another 50 odd top 3 BOG.
By all means keep shouting nonsense from under your bridge but it kind of makes you look like a *smile*.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
And forgotten years by the killers… never heard a better live rendition prior to or since…
Heard that starting up sitting in the stands n wondered what the hell the Oils were doing playing on Grand final day. After thirty odd years of misery there couldn't have been a more appropriately titled song.

Reactions: 2 users

SCAJMW

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2008
Yep, 2017 was so different to 1980. I just expected to win in 1980, in 2017 I wasn't convinced until we were way ahead with 5 minutes to go.

Still would have preferred not to have to put up with 37 years of disappointment.

DS
Saw my first game at Punt Road vs Colliwobbles in early 60s. So fortunate to see us win 5 GF after that. Then years of maybe next year although 1995 final v the Bombres, 5 goals down at half time, one of my favourite games. My kids had no option but to barrack for the Mighty Tiges (generational thing in our family!) Years of despair! Was the game at Docklands where the Handbaggers smashed us by 30 odd goals the worst ever!

Then being with my kids at 2017 GF, totally eclipses the previous GF wins. It was a day that they truly saw what a great football club we are all fortunate to be part of.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

billyb#40

Tiger Superstar
Sep 19, 2004
Hugging my daughter b 1982 after the game, her first live grand final, unbelievable joy.
Tex Walkers speech after the game comes to mind as an enduring negative.

• Haha

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I was sitting near two people in AFL coaching in 2017 and we discussed 3-2-1 for the Norm prior to the announcement.

We all had Martin, Houli and Rance as the three, 3 Rance, 2 Houli, 1 Martin (me), the other 2 had Martin, Rance, Houli and Houli, Martin, Rance.

3 way tie on 6 votes each, we should have been the judges.

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
The absolute joy that I shared with my 3 Tiger supporting kids. The 37 years of misery that they/we endured washed away in a wave of pure emotion. I was sitting with one daughter, my other daughter & son were in different parts of the ground. When we met up after the game it was unbelievable.
Of the (at that that stage) 6 Premiershipsthat I'd seen it was by far the most enjoyable . The next 2 weren't far behind either.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Telling the Adelaide supporters to *smile* off home at 3qtr time

Telling Ricutto your not playing North or Stkilda today

Reactions: 1 user

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Watched it again last night. Still get emotional.
I hope you are like me and watch the pre game lead up.

I love the way Cotch engages with the two young Tiger mascots as they go up the race, Cotchin then turns and welcomes all Tiger players coming onto the ground for their big day.
Contrast that to Tex Walker who basically ignores the two Crows mascots and is obviously immersed ( maybe even terrified) in his "me" moment.
Top it off with our relaxed Team photo ( where Dimma almost doesn't arrive, to Adelaide's faux Power Ranger stance at the National Anthem.

Deep down the Crows knew they were fakes being led by a fake.

The big fake had an empty seat next to him for the flight home, but ironically it's where his bravado ending up sitting, not the Premiership Cup.

The contrast between the two clubs is all so on display in the pre match.

Great win, all topped off for me by the guy sitting next to Malcolm Blight in the stand saying "here we come, that's one in a row" ( if my lip reading is correct) as the Crows kicked a belated goal in the last quarter.

What memories and it does shade '19 and 20 for me !

Go Tiges

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

rat bastad

I'm a llama!
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
After thirty odd years of misery there couldn't have been a more appropriately titled song.
That is EXACTLY what I thought of/felt at the game.

Serendipitous.

To this day I STILL get fired up and ultra emotional with the memories of it, any replay of the game, or any pics we took.

At the game, I was a mess with 10 mins to go. I was so lucky to get a ticket to this game and still grateful.

The best kind of mess I've ever been in and one of the best days of my life !

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Watching 2017 GF “mini” on Fox …..geez that Crows side were lucky to make a GF , so many ordinary footballers .

As excited as I’m about TheHop and Timmy T , geez I’m going to miss Shedda and Lambo

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Three roars, the roar when Houli kicked the goal in the first, made everyone believe we were in it.

The roar when the ball was coming down to Dusty towards the second quarter one on one, knew he had it, knew he would kick it and we had taken the Crow's best punch and were in front and supremely confident.

The Lambert snap in the third, the Roar of we are going to win it.

Each one raised confidence in the crowd. Just remember these points.

Reactions: 1 users