First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ?

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
As a relative newcomer to footy (twenty odd years) it was at the final siren that I finally understood why I became a Richmond supporter from my very first game. Everything came together that day, no what might have been thoughts were left

Reactions: 2 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Greatest day of my life.

Opposite way around though. Whenever I hear The Killers, I’m immediately transported back to the G.

Reactions: 5 users

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Prestia's goal in the last quarter.

Somehow, my self-protective tiger mind just wouldn't let me accept a victory until that moment. Even when Lambert goaled in the 3rd quarter all I could think was "Geez, its really gonna hurt if we lose this from here." But when the same player broke forward towards us behind the City End goals from the Riewoldt handball it all went into slow motion and an inner voice said "This is it. This is the moment it all ends." I knew that play would end in a goal and I knew then that it was over.

I tried to roar with the crowd but nothing escaped my mouth. Then I felt the tears and I just sat with my face in my hands wearing the blows of my 13yo son who gleefully shouted "Don't you dare cry at the footy!"

After a stern and playful rebuke about him not understanding what 37 years even felt like, I saw a hand on my knee. The old bloke in front on my had turned and seen me. He said "You blubber as much as you like, mate." He'd definitely been doing the same.

From that moment, just joy and smiles. What a day.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Bachar’s norm smith
Wow, I hope my memory doesn't go as fast as yours seems to.

Whilst Bachar's performance was excellent, and he would have been a worthy winner of the norm smith - he didn't get it. You know this.
But much like a lot of your other posts, it's yet another dig at Dustin Martin, who you can't seem to fathom, will be a Tigers Legend and he'll
remain that way, long after your posts have been forgotten.

Reactions: 10 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The thing that stands out in my mind apart from the game and the premiership

I have 2 girls that were aged 29 & 22 at the time and a nephew that was 26 and all are Richmond supporters and members due to me and my love for the RFC . My wife was a Carlton supporter before we met but now is 100% Richmond
My Sister is also Carlton and her Husband is Hawks supporter but my nephew decided to become Richmond mainly because my 2 girls and me constantly in his ear and now is actually the most fanatic of all of us.

All through their lives i felt bad because they never really seen any success and every time we lost by big margins they used to get pissed off and say its all my fault they support Richmond but they loved the club and never really waivered

2017 was a very exciting and nervous year and they were excited and all the way through said we are going to win the flag once we made finals - Me i was no where near as confident as the battle scars were deep over the 37 years but they remained confident and once we once the excitement was through the roof and withing 15 mins they were getting ready to head to swan st and punt rd but i didnt have the energy left and just wanted to watch every thing i could and hit the vodka redbull all night

Kids didnt get back home until 7 am the next morning and they left the car there and caught a cab as they had been drinking all night and had no voice left.

The next day we had a BBQ and caught up with friends and everybody had the yellow/Black on and it went on again until 3 am

The part that got me though is when the 3 kids came up and said THANK YOU we never ever really knew how big this club really was and the army that followed the RFC was so dedicated and they were honoured to be a TIGER and would never change

Needless to say they all have partners now and 2 of them have also become Richmond but the 3rd is still resisting lol but we will get him there ;)
I know you posted this a little while ago but I think a lot of us have a version of this story. Doing the best we could to get our kids supporting the team we love but having a bit of guilt when they endured so much pain being Tiger fans growing up.
Sharing 2017 with my kids and extended family and being able to talk to the younger ones about how that feeling of being a part of a Tiger flag was so special and worth waiting for in the end was so much of the joy of 2017.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
Didnt those Yellow away jumpers come up a treat in the pics?

i was tearing up in the last quarter, i still felt like many others thinking " surely we cant lose from here"
i watched the celebrations with tears streaming
made all those years of suffering worth it

Reactions: 3 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
I know you posted this a little while ago but I think a lot of us have a version of this story. Doing the best we could to get our kids supporting the team we love but having a bit of guilt when they endured so much pain being Tiger fans growing up.
Sharing 2017 with my kids and extended family and being able to talk to the younger ones about how that feeling of being a part of a Tiger flag was so special and worth waiting for in the end was so much of the joy of 2017.
when we beat Geelong in 2020 , my daughter was 6 years old
i told her she is so lucky to have seen the Tigers win 3 Premierships
she looked at me like i was lying to her when i was explaining the barren years we endured, she thought the Tigers were always champions :giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
The after game party on Swan Street.
Jack with the Killers.
Punt road oval going off.

Reactions: 4 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
So many memories, none stand out.

Flying down on the morning of the game from Brisbane, lots of fellow Tigers on the flight, not a Crow to be seen.

Walking to the ground full of optimism, not confidence.

Am surprised I didn’t ball my eyes out when it dawned on me we would win. But I did have to hold ‘em back. The tears came when watching the replay back home the next day.

After the match grabbed some Italian on the way back to the hotel and settled in to watch Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Funny what you do remember. The constant flow of text messages was nuts.

Maybe most of all I remember post match standing outside the G. A random bloke handed me a Sherrin with AFL Grand Final Adelaide v Richmond 2017 written on it as he walked past me. He didn’t stop, just handed it to me and said congrats or something similar. I assume it’s something corporates or similar got gifted at the game. I gave it to my eldest when I got home. We have kicked it a few times, but it’s still pristine, and still smells brand new.

What a day.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Might sound really strange but

The Satisfaction when you receive all the text messages from friends and family that support clubs like
Carlton , Collingwood , Essendon , Geelong and Hawthorn

You just know that kills them to send

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Other than being the greatest day of my life a few things come to mind.

Unlike my whole life I took a picture of the little tissues pack in the chemist warehouse bag on each seat and sent an sms picture of it to my crows mate saying he would need these at the end of the game whilst thinking it would be me who needed them.

Secondly I got to be there with my son and mates and remember pretty much fainting late in the game as I screamed when we kicked another goal and there was no way we could lose.

Finally the sheer joy on swan st was just palpable. I’ve described to people it must have been what it was like when ww2 ended but no one had died so just relief and joy and everyone hugging.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
My memory is the absolute pre-game arrogance of South Australians.
I was happily soaking up all the media attention in grand final week including the seemingly all yellow and black Herald Sun.

In the car I happened to hear an SA commentator being interviewed and, after talking up Adelaide as the hot favourites, paraphrasing his words were something along the lines off, "I would like to find a positive for Richmond's chances, but I just cant find one"

I hope the story about the extra plane seat being booked for the certainty of the Cup return to Adelaide is true.

Many happy Richmondy memories also.
But as I had lived in SA for a time for work, was a constant victim of their "kick a Vic" hate for Victorians.

Long may they suffer.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I was happily soaking up all the media attention in grand final week including the seemingly all yellow and black Herald Sun.

In the car I happened to hear an SA commentator being interviewed and, after talking up Adelaide as the hot favourites, paraphrasing his words were something along the lines off, "I would like to find a positive for Richmond's chances, but I just cant find one"

I hope the story about the extra plane seat being booked for the certainty of the Cup return to Adelaide is true.

But as I had lived in SA for a time for work, was a constant victim of their "kick a Vic" hate for Victorians.

Long may they suffer.
I wonder who sat in that seat on the way back

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Long may they suffer.
If you have time listening to the pregame and postgame Adelaide club supporter podcast is hilarious.

Reactions: 2 users