First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ?

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Not ashamed to admit it but I followed the Richo script and cried tears of joy, relief & elation. Cloud nine for months, didn't expect the subsequent cups but happy nevertheless. 2017 was the best year for me as a supporter, saw 1980 but nothing compares to that drought breaking win, magical stuff and kind of makes up for the pain of the late 80's and 90's ninthmond taunts.

Reactions: 12 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Pride in my Club.

We got ourselves in the *smile* & with little to no assistance got ourselves out of the *smile*.

Gotta be happy with that

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not ashamed to admit it but I followed the Richo script and cried tears of joy, relief & elation. Cloud nine for months, didn't expect the subsequent cups but happy nevertheless. 2017 was the best year for me as a supporter, saw 1980 but nothing compares to that drought breaking win, magical stuff and kind of makes up for the pain of the late 80's and 90's ninthmond taunts.

Yep, 2017 was so different to 1980. I just expected to win in 1980, in 2017 I wasn't convinced until we were way ahead with 5 minutes to go.

Still would have preferred not to have to put up with 37 years of disappointment.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
My memory is the absolute pre-game arrogance of South Australians.
I was happily soaking up all the media attention in grand final week including the seemingly all yellow and black Herald Sun.

In the car I happened to hear an SA commentator being interviewed and, after talking up Adelaide as the hot favourites, paraphrasing his words were something along the lines off, "I would like to find a positive for Richmond's chances, but I just cant find one"

I hope the story about the extra plane seat being booked for the certainty of the Cup return to Adelaide is true.

Many happy Richmondy memories also.
But as I had lived in SA for a time for work, was a constant victim of their "kick a Vic" hate for Victorians.

Long may they suffer.
I have listened since then to the 5AA broadcast of the game and it is quite funny.

You can still get it on the internet

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yep, 2017 was so different to 1980. I just expected to win in 1980, in 2017 I wasn't convinced until we were way ahead with 5 minutes to go.

Still would have preferred not to have to put up with 37 years of disappointment.

DS
I also expected to win in 1982 David :cry:

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I have listened since then to the 5AA broadcast of the game and it is quite funny.

You can still get it on the internet

I've been listening to this today, it's not as bad as as I thought. The 5AA are shattered, it's so good. They can't believe what is happening.

Adelaide had some spuds in that side. Looking back, they played Andy Otten on Lord Alex Rance. That's an insult. I'm still offended five years later.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I've been listening to this today, it's not as bad as as I thought. The 5AA are shattered, it's so good. They can't believe what is happening.

Adelaide had some spuds in that side. Looking back, they played Andy Otten on Lord Alex Rance. That's an insult. I'm still offended five years later.
They did have some spuds.
It’s also amazing the number of players in their team that day who went to other clubs. Cameron, Betts, Jenkins, BCrouch, Hartigan, Greenwood, Jacobs, Lever, Kelly, Atkins.
The club imploded

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I also expected to win in 1982 David :cry:

Yeah, that was devastating, a memory I try to avoid. We should have won that game :(

The 5AA coverage was remarkably good, they could see what was happening in the second quarter and were accurate with their analysis. I remember listening to this while watching a replay expecting to be laughing all the way, but one of the better calls of that GF.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
Wow, I hope my memory doesn't go as fast as yours seems to.

Whilst Bachar's performance was excellent, and he would have been a worthy winner of the norm smith - he didn't get it. You know this.
But much like a lot of your other posts, it's yet another dig at Dustin Martin, who you can't seem to fathom, will be a Tigers Legend and he'll
remain that way, long after your posts have been forgotten.
Maybe your memory needs adjustment and realise that without that backline that Leppitsch created over 3 successful trophy years we would not have them in the cupboard wink

Also go ask players of that premiership year and also agree Bachar was robbed

Oh and Dusty ain’t the greatest number 4 mate

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Maybe your memory needs adjustment and realise that without that backline that Leppitsch created over 3 successful trophy years we would not have them in the cupboard wink

Nope, I remember how great our team defence was. As I also mentioned, Bachar would have been a worthy winner.

But, he wasn't. Go watch the tape again, and the Norm Smith goes to....Dustin Martin.

As good as Royce Hart was, Dusty has 3 Normies and a Brownlow. I think Dusty has him covered and will one day be a Tiger Immortal himself.

So maybe take your Dusty vendetta you have, and go watch some Grand Final replays of 2017-2020 (you can skip 18 if you're hard up for time) and bask in the greatness, champ.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Damn straight.

You’re referring to Mark Eustace, right?

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004

Hart v Martin? See avatar. Love Dusty to bits but Royce Hart was celestial.
And KB has them both covered for the Tigers GOAT.

But opinions are just like bums, everyone has one and viva la difference.

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
Nope, I remember how great our team defence was. As I also mentioned, Bachar would have been a worthy winner.

But, he wasn't. Go watch the tape again, and the Norm Smith goes to....Dustin Martin.

As good as Royce Hart was, Dusty has 3 Normies and a Brownlow. I think Dusty has him covered and will one day be a Tiger Immortal himself.

So maybe take your Dusty vendetta you have, and go watch some Grand Final replays of 2017-2020 (you can skip 18 if you're hard up for time) and bask in the greatness, champ.
I don’t need to watch it as have magnitudes already. Everyone wanted the afl princess story and they got it but it don’t mean it was deserved. When Martin actually made any impact to our win we were well in front thanks to many especially that backline and Bachar efforts

3 norms means Jack - be elite and BOG for majority of your career and then come back to me - anyone can show up for one game and get the awards. That’s the difference between many players so focus on awards where others just give their all week after week - plus 2017:2019 Dusty didn’t deserve other dominate players in those games only reason Dusty got it was his kick to pickett.

• Haha

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Hart v Martin? See avatar. Love Dusty to bits but Royce Hart was celestial.
And KB has them both covered for the Tigers GOAT.

But opinions are just like bums, everyone has one and viva la difference.
Hart v Martin

Sorry achillesjones

Dusty has hart covered and its only KB v Dusty for all time great of the RFC for me , I have always had #4 on my back growing up and have been lucky with that number wearing in in my junior footy days at Richmond tech.

Royce player 187 games for 369 goals
4 x flags
2 x B & F
1 AA and was a fantastic player but Dusty has done more and for longer

Dustin Martin 269 games 303 goals
1 x Brownlow 3x flags
3 x Norm Smith
4 x AA
2 x B & F
not mentioning other accolades that didnt exist earlier days
and could still have another 2-3 years to play and will play 300+ games

The only thing Royce had over Dusty was High Marking & Leadership but Dusty plays in an Era where its so much harder to play a pro level of football and in Royce Hart days they had the advantage of playing 1 v 1

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
As said many times there were only 12 Victorian teams when Hart & Bartlett played in what was largely an amateur competition.
It really is folly comparing generations. Entirely different rules & ground conditions too. Just say they were the best of their era.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I can't separate Dusty and Royce, and I don't want to. Both absolute stars (not stars by the definition of the media when they want to report an infraction).

Just lucky both played for Richmond.

DS

Reactions: 3 users