Five Richmond Myths | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Five Richmond Myths

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
A passionate supporter like the rest of us, I tend to think I know it all when it comes to the Yellow & Black. I thought I'd get this stuff off my chest... The 5 commonly reported 'facts' about Richmond that really pooh me off.

1. Richmond Supporters are Fickle.

I hate this myth. 'Fickle' means that you have no interest in the team when they are not winning. How can anyone accuse Tiger supporters of this? Even Diggler's bile betrays his love of the club (although I have a theory that he is an opposition supporter taking us for a ride). We produce big crowds in lean years - that shows we care.

Now the Swans, on the other hand, are fickle. Living in Sydney, I've experienced not being able to get a ticket when they are winning, and seen tickets handed out free at McDonalds when they are losing. They are classic freeloaders.

There's nothing wrong with dumping passionately on your team - it shows how much it hurts you to see them getting flogged. We've been through Hell ferals, and we want a slice of that success feeling!

2. Campbell is not a Leader

Rubbish! I think he's one of the best leaders around. In fact, there's no-one I'd prefer in the job. For mine, he's just a sensational professional - always super-fit (as many possessions in the 4th qtr as in the 1st), undoubtedly the best speaker in the playing group, has been through the hard times with us, was a Richmond supporter as a kid, excellent training example to the young'uns, has got the maximum out of his ability... (And don't site that resignation argument at me, because non other than Jack Dyer did exactly the same thing!)

3. Andrew Kellaway's Disposal

Recently I was really bored and re-watched the Australia v Ireland Rules decider. Now, the goalkeeper has to be able to do 2 things: stop that ball, and kick out well. AK did both brilliantly, and confirmed his status as the greatest goalkeeper in the history of the Australian team.

I reckon he kicks perfectly well. He gets compared unfairly with his bro, Duncan (who has disposal matched only by Clinton King for ineptitude). Furthermore, the last time we had Gaspar at full-back and Ben H at CHB, AK was the premier 3rd defender in the AFL. If we can get that combo back together, I think AK will be a bonus we hadn't expected in 2003.

4. The Forwardline is Richmond's Strength

Once again, rubbish! The only two times we've made the finals in the last 20 years, it's been on the back of a solid, working-class defense, and in spite of an inconsistent attack.

In 2001, our success was built around Gaspar, Holland, Cameron, A Kellaway, Torney and Chaffey. They didn't give up much, and kept the opposition down even when the big names up front didn't get us 100 pts a game. Our midfield and general ball play was the same- we relied on the Szillers and Kellaways to smother opposition ball-getters. Sziller, in my opinion, deserves huge kudos for his finals performance, in the same way Knights is remembered for that 95 final - he destroyed Camporeale and got the pill himself. That won us the game.

Richo has never got as many goals as we hoped - lets face it. He'll be no.1 on the marks list, but no.5 on the goalkickers. 5 goals and he's raved about, whereas Lloyd would consider that standard. Ottens has stalled, but plays in the ruck anyway. Our crumbers have been disappointing - Krakouer is great, but tragically can't get the ball; Houlihan is brilliant too, but... well I've got no idea what his problem is!, and then there's Marty McGrath... could have the Greg Beck critics eating humble pie!

5. Knights was Treated Badly.

Not at all. I know a lot of people were upset with Mattys's departure, but in my opinion Danny Frawley was very impressive in this instance. How many of us really thought no. 33 had a future this year? I'd say, about 5% of subscribers. The fact is, his time was up. When Knights had that chat with Spud, he was told the truth - we can't have ya next year, we've got to move on. Knights then decided to retire after the Essendon game (the crowd for which was rather pathetic I thought, undermining my point 1), at his own behest. Frawley didn't shirk the issue at the expense of the team. Frawley did the right thing- told him the truth, when he could have avoided the issue to save his own skin. Knights was the only A-class midfielder we've had in the last 10 to 15 years, but he didn't have it anymore. Frawley wore the brickbats with an eye on the future of the Richmond Football Club.

OK, now it's all off my chest. You might not agree, but hey, we all go for the same team!

Go Tiges! I'm drooling for September action!!

Tigerblood.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Top post tb. I think we all think we know what's best for Richmond. That's what's is good about this forum. We can agree and disagree and agree to disagree to our hearts content ;).

1. I had a "debate" about this on the old rivals bulldogs site when they called us fickle once based on the idea that because we have many more supporters than them then we are fickle as our attendance to supporter ratio is lower than theirs. Huh! ::). Every club has its share of fickle supporters but if you look up our attendances figures on the afl stats site (beginning around 93-94) they've been pretty consistent the whole way through whether it was 1995/2001 when we made the finals or any other year. We must have the most loyal supporters considering our 20 year drought.

2. I am a Campo fan but until he wins a game off his boot in final or "big game" his detractors won't consider him a leader such as a Voss or Carey are regarded. Being forced to play as a inside midfielder which he is not suited to doesn't help his cause either. Hopefully this year he'll be able to play in a position where he can be damaging.
Remember Bickley fed off the likes of Riccuito, Goodwin, Macleod and Johnson yet he was highly regarded as a leader at the crows and dual premiership captain. So you don't need to be the gamebuster to be a top leader.

3. Agree although AK's best year was in 2000.

4. Agree. Once again the fault of our midfield not being able to win the ball and push forward to crumb and score goals themselves. Hopefully that will change this year.
In fairness to Richo he is a HF not a FF. Krakouer is still young given he was taken a year earlier than most draftees. Houlihan's problem is one that looks like it runs in the family - doesn't like winning the ball in 50/50 contests. He was played mostly as a sweeper off HB for Coburg so he may get a go down there in the seniors.

5. I think many tiger supporters were unhappy with the way it was done rather than the actual decision (which I agree was the correct one). They felt it was played out through the media and not behind closed doors as it should of been and that wasn't showing Knighter respect.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Myth 6. All richmond supporters are ignorant ferals who wouldn't know a football if it was smacking them in the face.

Seriously, i totally agree with everything you have just written TB ( unfortunate initials ). Great work!

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Myth 7
All Richmond male supporters are overweight, drunken slobs, average age 30+, wear very tight jumpers with old fashioned beanies, are toothless and on the dole.

This is no myth, its fact ;D

A

admin

Is fickle the same as "bandwagon" I'm always happy to have that one chucked at me, cos it's the ultimate insult people can chuck at you when Richmond are travelling well, ha. ;D

A

admin

Rubbish! I think he's one of the best leaders around.

We're all entitled to our personal opinion, but I can't help feeling this is p*ss take. If they were to be 100% honest, how many people here would have Campbo in the top few leaders in the league?
There have been big games when we've needed leadership and Campbo has gone awol. The infamous Libba game, the final in Brisbane for eg. The team was like a ship without a rudder in those games, while Campbo tried to throw his weight around with little effect.
There didn't seem to be a lot of team unity last season, that has to come back on the captain to a degree too.

A

admin

I think AK will be a bonus we hadn't expected in 2003.

Agree with both of those. We've had this discussion on the board a while ago, and most agreed. I can think of one exception, but no prizes for guessing who, ha.

A

admin

I haven't really heard that one. How could anyone say that when it's been a real weak point, and over several years it's our backline that has made the team look respectable?
Agree we wouldn't have got near as far in 2001 with out the efforts of our backline.
Maybe they mean the forward line is "potentially" Richmond's strength.
I agree with that one, and hope it's right, cos we'll be a lot closer to being premiership contenders when our forward line can fire consistantly.

A

admin

Not at all. I know a lot of people were upset with Mattys's departure, but in my opinion Danny Frawley was very impressive in this instance.

Of course people were upset with Knighter's departure, that's only natural for such a well loved Tiger.
Most would say Knighter was past his best.
Most would think it was great he had the chance of saying goodbye the way he did.

I can't see how Danny was impressive the way he dealt with Knighter though.

I can't remember the details, but there was controversy at the time because of the way Knighter was stripped of the captaincy. From memory others were aware of it before Knighter had been told.

My real issue is not that Knighter was told his services weren't required anymore, it was several weeks earlier.
Danny came out in the paper saying we'll see who wants to play for the Richmond Football Club and those who don't will be dropped.

The next week, on the eve of a game that would have put Knighter in the record books (none of us can judge whether that was important to Knighter or not) and when Knighter had been in the top players the previous week, Danny holds a press conference and tells the world Knighter was dropped.

Good one Danny, there is no way Knighters worse enemies would even agree that Knighter would be the one dropped for not wanting to play for Richmond.

There is no way dropping a player should have resulted in a three ring service press conference either.

It was poorly handled in the extreme in my opinion, the players should be treated with dignity.

I hope the club learned a lesson about using the media to air dirty linen, cos I hope it doesn't happen again.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
1. This is one that annoys me. I'd like to know what this 'myth' is based on. And I'd also like to see how many supporters of other clubs turned up if their Club went through 20 years like we've had. For those who like to make these ignorant statements, unless you've experienced what we have, then you basically have no idea what you are talking about.

2. I agree with what you say Tigerblood. However, to me, a leader is someone who looks outside of his own circumstances and can relate to people on all levels. If he believed in himself enough, instead of trying to be who he thinks he is supposed to be, then I would find it easier to defend him on this one.

3. I remember seeing Andrew Kellaway playing in the reserves, before he had played a senior game. He had a set shot at goal from either on the 50m line or just outside, slight angle, and it went through. I thought, well we know he can kick better than his brother. And that has stayed with me. I know it's only one instance, but when people question his disposal, they are just assuming that he is like Duncan in that regard. From the rave reviews Andrew received after the game against Ireland, you would think he must have more ability than some people are prepared to give him credit for.

4. The thing that will make a difference to the forward line is delivery, delivery, delivery. Hopefully the additions to the midfield will bring about the necessary changes to give us a more potent forward line. When that improves then we can determine how good the forward line is. I agree about our defence. It's had to put up with a lot over the years.

5. Thanks for the memories Knighta.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Richmond supporters are fickle :mad:

This one really annoys me. If we were all fickle why does Richmond have close to 29000 members. Sure some people drop off but at least during the lean times (and I am sure there have been a few in the last 20 years ;)) the CLub has managed to hang onto its core supporter group. That isn't a myth that is a fact!

As for bandwagon fans - please give me a break. Bandwagon fans are those who jump on when the going gets good and jump off when things get tough. Look at Collingwood - everyone wants to be a member now - where were they when they won the wooden spoon ???

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
2. However, to me, a leader is someone who looks outside of his own circumstances and can relate to people on all levels. If he believed in himself enough, instead of trying to be who he thinks he is supposed to be, then I would find it easier to defend him on this one.

Could you clarify both points MC24.

Wayne can be labelled many things but i dont get the impression he fits either of these categories .

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I'm happy to clarify the points MY.

I believe they are actually related. When you don't believe in yourself, criticism cuts deep. And, to me, it seems that criticism really hurts Wayne.

How much energy does he waste trying to prove everybody wrong, instead of just being himself. He'd find life as a football a lot more enjoyable that way.

Why does he seem to view Richmond supporters as a 'necessary evil'? Mainly, because they criticise him. However, others who receive far greater criticism are seemingly able to just get on with the job of playing football. The reason they can is because they believe in themselves and know what they are capable of. They take the criticism on board as a guide to what they need to do to improve themselves, rather than wasting time refuting what they know to be the truth. What makes the difference to these people is that they not only live up to their own expectations, but also expect more of themselves than others do.

To Wayne, criticism is a threat, only because he doesn't believe in himself enough. It doesn't mean he can't still be a good leader, but, in my view, it impacts on how good he could be, given his ability and standing within the Club.

Others will see it differently, this is just my perception.

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I'm happy to clarify the points MY.

When you don't believe in yourself, criticism cuts deep.  And, to me, it seems that criticism really hurts Wayne.  

This is the observation i have trouble with MC24 because the rest of your points are based on this premiss.

But as you say it maybe a question of perception,further still you might have some insight into Campbells character that i, from a distant dont.

Im not surprised that wayne would view the richmond faithful as a thorn in his side due to the criticism constantly levelled at him (sometimes warrented) but i not sure if i would deduce from it that he was not able to take it on board and move on like most other leaders.

Overall im happy with the public face of wayne and the way in which he represents the club ( excluding the libba fiasco).

I believe he is articulate and assesses himself and the rest of playing group with measured expectation and is honest and upfront on most issues.

I dont see his character (self belief) flawed in the way that you do but that dosn't mean im right its just about perception and unless we really no him personally it can be difficult to know what drives and hinders him .

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
It must just be a perception thing MY.  The insights I have are just 'gut feel'.

I have reason to doubt that Wayne takes criticsim on board and moves on from it.  And because he takes it so personally, it impacts on who he is.

I ask myself this question MY, why can I defend Duncan, who receives so much flak for his skills, without hesitation or doubt, but not Wayne?

The only answer I have come up with is that it is not easy for me to believe in someone who does not believe in him or herself.

That gives me cause to doubt that Wayne is getting the best out of himself.

Also, it seems, to me, that he 'tries' to be natural, in the public arena, but comes across anything but, at times.  This says that he thinks he needs to be somebody other than himself.  What is wrong with just being yourself?

I don't doubt that Wayne is a good Captain, I just doubt that he is being the player and Captain he could be.

It doesn't mean I'm right either MY, that's just how I read the situation.

londontiger

The New RFC Cheersquad Chant.
Dec 17, 2002
London , United Kingdon

SOMETIMES
I think this is mostly true. On this site we are not fickle supporters, but there are Richmond supporters out there that are Band Wagon jumpers.

You know the ones "yeah I will buy a membership when they look a chance".

The only remedy to get rid of the "myth" is on field success

MAYBE
In all honesty, I would be happy having another player as a leader, because that is driven by his outwardly admission of looking for another club to play for in years gone past. But the question is Campbell a leader, then the answer is yes. But is he any good?

MAYBE
Better than Duncans.
Was that the question?

YES.
If we are to be a real threat in the future, then our forward line must fire. A good backline can get you into the finals. A good forward line can win a premiership

YES
Should he have been nudged to retire - Probably yes, he would even admit to that.

Should it have had the media coverage it did? - No need.

Because of that very fact - Knights lost dignity in the media coverage, so he was treated badly.

I send a letter to RFC last year stating this.