Fleming articles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fleming articles

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
From realfooty

Fleming's season over and career in doubt
By Chris Lines
August 13 2003

Tim Fleming's season is over and his career in jeopardy after the rugged Richmond on-baller was suspended for three matches by the AFL Tribunal last night.

Fleming pleaded guilty to striking St Kilda star Nick Riewoldt last Saturday night, and the tribunal refused the club's plea that he be given a chance to prove himself again this season before his contract expired.

A written apology to Riewoldt and Richmond's stance that it would have kicked him out of the club if it felt he had deliberately sought to damage the star Saint failed to sway the tribunal, which deemed his act serious, reckless and unnecessary.

Riewoldt was left groggy and bleeding from a split chin after Fleming made late contact with an elbow in the second quarter. Barely able to walk, Riewoldt was helped from Telstra Dome by three trainers and had no memory of the incident.

But he returned late in the final quarter, taking marks and kicking three goals.

Fleming pleaded guilty after watching video footage, but at the time thought he had not made significant contact.

"It was by no means my intention to get him, I was genuinely trying to bump him . . . it shocked me when I saw it," Fleming said.

Richmond assistant coach Wayne Brittain, who convinced the club to draft Fleming after coaching him as a reserves player at Carlton, gave character evidence on the persistence of the 25-year-old. Fleming had overcome two broken wrists, an ankle reconstruction, two broken thumbs and a broken hand in the past three years before belatedly reaching his goal of playing AFL.

"If (Richmond coach) Danny Frawley had felt Timmy Fleming had deliberately elbowed Nick Riewoldt on the jaw, Tim Fleming would not be at Richmond footy club now," Brittain said.

Tribunal chairman Brian Collis said it was only good fortune that Riewoldt had not sustained a more serious injury in the collision.

Richmond said it would not appeal against the length of the suspension.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Riewoldt receives written apology
13 August 2003 Herald Sun
By BRUCE MATTHEWS

REMORSEFUL Richmond onballer Tim Fleming sent a letter of apology to St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt even before the AFL formally charged him with striking this week.

Riewoldt received the handwritten note on Monday afternoon as field umpire Matthew Head went to league headquarters to study videotape of an incident between the pair.

But the "I'm sorry", also delivered verbally last night, failed to soften the landing for Fleming when the AFL Tribunal suspended the first-year Tiger for the last three matches of the season.

Chairman Brian Collis, QC, described Fleming's right elbow that floored Riewoldt in the second quarter at Telstra Dome on Saturday night as reckless, unnecessary and late.

He added: "It was fortunate for everyone player Riewoldt was not more badly injured."

It's a distasteful ending to Fleming's debut season in which he played 16 games after being recruited from Carlton's VFL team on the recommendation of assistant coach Wayne Brittain.

Brittain gave heartfelt character evidence at last night's hearing on how the mature-age recruit had finally grabbed his AFL chance "by what I call the hard way".

The former Blues senior coach described Fleming's hit on Riewoldt as an unfortunate accident when the Tiger tried to carry out his specific role of applying pressure to opposition ball-carriers.

"If Danny Frawley had thought Tim Fleming had deliberately elbowed Nick Riewoldt on the jaw, Tim Fleming wouldn't be at the Richmond Football Club right now," Brittain said.

The Tigers assistant told the tribunal panel that Fleming was renowned as one of the best pressure players and added: "He's a bit like a dog chasing a (car) tyre. He'll go back and chase it again."

Pleading for leniency, defence advocate Iain Findlay outlined Fleming's struggle with injuries, including two broken wrists and an ankle reconstruction, as he battled from the amateurs through the VFL to fulfil his AFL dream.

Fleming, who pleaded guilty to the charge, told the hearing he had leapt to try to smother a Riewoldt handpass.

"I was going in to bump and at the time I felt I got him with my bicep. It was only when I reviewed the incident that I saw my arm was raised a bit," he said.

"That was not my intention. It actually shocked me when I saw it. I'm not that sort of player and I was genuinely apologetic to Nick and sent him a note."

Riewoldt, who came back on to kick three goals in the last quarter, is fit to play against Carlton on Saturday.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I thought players got a basic two year contract but obviously not.
I wonder if we could presume that Nichols was on a one year contract too?

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
I thought players got a basic two year contract but obviously not.
I wonder if we could presume that Nichols was on a one year contract too?

1st & 2nd round draft picks only - get 2 years - I think