Football everyday of the week, thoughts? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Football everyday of the week, thoughts?

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Lose interest for mine. It's really hard to find the time to watch all the games and with them mostly being on Kayo with Channel 7 ads no less, it feels less like the footy I am used to.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Hutchy was on radio couple of weeks ago floating the idea of a 34 round season by starting the season earlier (no pre-season games), leaving the shorter quarters and having a few footy frenzies during they year. Road trips would include teams staying interstate playing both teams within a week before coming home. Reckons the broadcasters would be all over it and the players would too as it means more money for them.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don't like the shorter quarters, much prefer the longer quarters.

I like the double header on a Friday night, they could probably start an East Coast game around 6pm and then the West Coast game can also be a local 6pm start. Works well IMO. They obviously couldn't do it every week as wouldn't have a game in Perth every week but I like it when we can.

I don't mind the idea of the frenzy either, a mid season frenzy would be pretty cool. It may even enable more games across the season but I don't see a 34 game season happening. Maybe could increase games for the season by a few, say 25 games for a normal H&A season.

Creates a lot more opportunities for the broadcasters, more prime time games, more double headers. It would also mean that match day revenues will increase so that would be a good additional source of income for the clubs and the AFL.

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
All it has done is underline the absolute laxk of quality at the moment. If you took out the best player from every team right now - the style, quality & excitement level of the comp would be a total snoozefest.

It works in the nba as they have 32teams play 82 games, then a playoff series of 4 x 7 games. There isnt just 1 game per day, there are normally 4 to 10- which means, most days, there is at least one good game worth watching. They remaining games againt SAC vs Hornets etc, are deplorable. Most NBA fans have been begging for shorter seasons for this reason - as half way through the season u end 1/3 of the league tanking .

Last edited:

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
The point above about shorter games is relevant too.

We can't let them use this as an excuse to keep the 16 minute quarters. Quarters used to be 25 minutes plus time on, the shortening to 20 minutes plus time on was brought in with stricter interpretation of the time on rules, they stopped the clock more often and the quarters are about the same length.

If they want to do a short period of lots of games I suppose I can live with it but only if it is not used to shorten the quarters.

DS
If they go to 16minutes long term, i'd lose so much interest . Even though we are 2nd favorite for the flag, i reckon i enjoyed seasons where we finished 9th more. So many games have been dull.

The league will push for shorter games though, as they will use it to extend the season to be more games = more tv revenue = gate receipts.

With shorter games have they /will the discount tickets & memberships? Of course not

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Given our current curfew situation, nightly footy is a godsend for the Vic public.

In a 'normal' year? They'd be sacrificing attendances for midweek games. Dunno.

I can't see the season extending to 34 games. 25 is a possibility, and if you break the league up into two divisions of 9 (Melbourne clubs and non-Melbourne clubs), it could even be fair. You'd play the other 8 in your group home and away, and the 9 from group B once each, alternating who has the home game on an annual basis.

Melbourne Conference
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Richmond
St Kilda
Western Bulldogs

Non-Melbourne Conference
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
West Coast
Fremantle
Sydney
GWS
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Geelong

Someone ring Gerald and see if he'll run it up the flagpole to Shocking.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Any mention whether the quarters will go back to full length in the finals?

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I'm finding I'm watching a lot fewer games. The reality of work life imbalance means that on a weeknight I don't have 2-3 hours spare, but on weekends I can usually have the TV on and the footy on for most of it.

I feel more disconnected from the season than ever before.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Any mention whether the quarters will go back to full length in the finals?
Highly unlikely, I think, Harold. TBR would be better placed to comment but I'd imagine players have become conditioned to the shorter games, which means an increase would increase the risk of fatigue injuries. Plus, they'll want to say that at least the season had integrity in terms of every game being played over the same time frame.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Hutchy was on radio couple of weeks ago floating the idea of a 34 round season by starting the season earlier (no pre-season games), leaving the shorter quarters and having a few footy frenzies during they year. Road trips would include teams staying interstate playing both teams within a week before coming home. Reckons the broadcasters would be all over it and the players would too as it means more money for them.
I will summarise. More money for me. Hutchinsons only motivation.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Just like the MLB and NBA do hes a wanker hes always been up to trying to implement this Americanised garbage.

Shame now for them is Americans are nigh on done with their major sporting codes in big numbers for their politicisation and BS.

Aussies Rules is unlike any of these games that are nowhere near as taxing on the players than a game of AFL.

They are going to kill the game.

I knew this season would be nothing more than a Beta test and a way for them to covertly (overtly really but under guise of duress) implement and slip in this BS for the future.

I stand by my opinion still it is on the way I fear if not next year but not too far away these corporates will push and push and push this on us all.