Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Many of them (Flogginson in particular) wanted us to bugger off into irrelevancy after we won in 2017. They see it as a personal affront that we refused to do so.
Spot on mate.....here's your award you try hards its been a bit cute and a nice novelty...now #$## off.

Losing the 2018 Prelim I have no doubt got us 19 and 20.

Back to back flags in 17 and 18 might've somewhat sated the boys and the pain of 2018 no doubt made them hungry as well as everyone writing them off.

If we can somehow manage to get our paws on one more we will have been spoilt beyond belief.

Reactions: 4 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Buckley certainly no fan of Robbo

I find it astonishing the Media love for Buckley. The media favoritism of Buckley, Scott and Fagan never ceases to make me chuckle vs their "boots in, kick em while they lose one game" criticisms of Teague or Dimma are the stuff of bullies. The media are simply scared of Chris Scott. Bullies know other bullies - the media bullies in Robbo, Barrett, Cornes, even Gary Lyon and other idiots at Fox can sense the autocrat in Scott, they steer clear of any criticism b/c Scott goes in hard when he wants.

They support Buckley because he speaks as well as anyone and they are all afraid of Eddie. Love for Fagan is a mystery to me. And I like Fages too!

Gee, I hope the Pies sign Buckley up immediately because I genuinely do not believe he is a good coach - more importantly, I do not believe he is a good people manager. I actually like Buckley, but he is neither made to be a senior coach nor leader of a team. So... please sign him up Korda and co, make it happen. It's an advantage to every other club that Bucks remains senior coach. That club's list is being held together by paper clips, and whilst the Daicos Boys x 2 are good, as is Darcy Moore and the million dollar man Grundy, their list balance is a shambles. Bucks cant make moves on game day and deep deep down, the boys dont play for him. I love it.

And how 'hilarious' the narrative is now that Bucks doesnt deserve to be under the pressure he is. Its been 10 years. He had a preety awesome team when he took over, every financial support a coach could ask for, all the support of the 2nd biggest club in the land;)that travels 4-5 times a year, not his fault the recruiting, etc etc.

The media 'experts' just keep on giving.

Reactions: 9 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I find it astonishing the Media love for Buckley. The media favoritism of Buckley, Scott and Fagan never ceases to make me chuckle vs their "boots in, kick em while they lose one game" criticisms of Teague or Dimma are the stuff of bullies. The media are simply scared of Chris Scott. Bullies know other bullies - the media bullies in Robbo, Barrett, Cornes, even Gary Lyon and other idiots at Fox can sense the autocrat in Scott, they steer clear of any criticism b/c Scott goes in hard when he wants.

They support Buckley because he speaks as well as anyone and they are all afraid of Eddie. Love for Fagan is a mystery to me. And I like Fages too!

Gee, I hope the Pies sign Buckley up immediately because I genuinely do not believe he is a good coach - more importantly, I do not believe he is a good people manager. I actually like Buckley, but he is neither made to be a senior coach nor leader of a team. So... please sign him up Korda and co, make it happen. It's an advantage to every other club that Bucks remains senior coach. That club's list is being held together by paper clips, and whilst the Daicos Boys x 2 are good, as is Darcy Moore and the million dollar man Grundy, their list balance is a shambles. Bucks cant make moves on game day and deep deep down, the boys dont play for him. I love it.

And how 'hilarious' the narrative is now that Bucks doesnt deserve to be under the pressure he is. Its been 10 years. He had a preety awesome team when he took over, every financial support a coach could ask for, all the support of the 2nd biggest club in the land;)that travels 4-5 times a year, not his fault the recruiting, etc etc.

The media 'experts' just keep on giving.

Agree 100% on Buckley.

The media is pretty simple IMO. They just demand inside information in exchange for not burying someone.

The most hated clubs are the ones who don’t cave in to their demands. This comes from a place of confidence. The most praised clubs are the ones who fearfully feed information. Because... That’s the problem - negative press! If we can just catch a lucky break, we’d have less negativity at the club! This comes from a place of fear.

I’ll spew up the day the media portrays us as darlings and chooses not to dig the boots in.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
Agree 100% on Buckley.

The media is pretty simple IMO. They just demand inside information in exchange for not burying someone.

The most hated clubs are the ones who don’t cave in to their demands. This comes from a place of confidence. The most praised clubs are the ones who fearfully feed information. Because... That’s the problem - negative press! If we can just catch a lucky break, we’d have less negativity at the club! This comes from a place of fear.

I’ll spew up the day the media portrays us as darlings and chooses not to dig the boots in.
It is amazing they are circling around Teague already but Buckley gets a free pass after 10 years.

Reactions: 6 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
It is amazing they are circling around Teague already but Buckley gets a free pass after 10 years.
Ditto, Teague has never had a good team (he inherited what is still a rabble now) & Buckley inherited 1 of/if not the youngest Premiership winning team in history. On Teague the media were pumping them up pre season & they recruited to play finals but they'll fall short & the hype wasn't justified anyway. Pies aren't far off needing a full rebuild, thier Draft situation re: Daicos is going to be very interesting indeed.

Reactions: 2 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Agree 100% on Buckley.

Agree on Buckley. Disagree on the media, a little. Like yourself I like Bucks. I like the way he speaks, he is intelligent and thoughtful. But he is clearly a terrible coach. He wasn't a leader as a player. Don't get me wrong, he could lift the team by his actions on the field, but I don't think he "inspired" his teammates with his rhetoric.

On media I think a major issue is just the age of the talking heads. They're mostly from the era when we were *smile* and refuse to see us differently.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The whole Buckley is at the top of his game and best option for the Pies is a pretty odd take. Robbo aside the rest of the media must like him.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The whole Buckley is at the top of his game and best option for the Pies is a pretty odd take. Robbo aside the rest of the media must like him.
They don't all like him, they're all scared that they could be working with him next year.
If he was going to get the ass and disappear like Hird did, there would be more calling for him to go.
Kane Cornes said that 17 other clubs would be interested in him..i doubt there would be no more then 2 or 3.
North, Stkilda, maybe Adelaide.
Thats about it

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The air of impending bliss as a result of another Tigers loss on Prime Time will have them all salivating and licking their lips.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Carlton is the Florida of the AFL, it's where players go to retire and take it easy. Practically all of their 26+ players appear to have left their best footy behind them. Can't have success or even a decent culture when you have bugger all senior team leaders. They need the riot act read to them as a group. Stand up and lead you bludgers!

But long may they wallow in shitness. If I can't have a Richmond win, I'll take a Carlton loss as consolation.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Well, the first page I turned to today was blobbo’s page expecting to see him praise Lynch’s game in his “ Likes” column since he spent a lot of column space about him in his “ Dislikes “ column last week.

I guess I expected too much

• Angry

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Well, the first page I turned to today was blobbo’s page expecting to see him praise Lynch’s game in his “ Likes” column since he spent a lot of column space about him in his “ Dislikes “ column last week.

I guess I expected too much
That stupid column will generally have 9 likes and 9 dislikes every round; basically one for every game. His dislike for our game was the form of Johannisen and his like was er, um, nothing!! Didn't even rate a mention.

He really is pretty salty on us. You would think the way he lambasted Lynch last week that he would have the grace to mention that he played well this week but no.........

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Carlton is the Florida of the AFL, it's where players go to retire and take it easy. Practically all of their 26+ players appear to have left their best footy behind them. Can't have success or even a decent culture when you have bugger all senior team leaders. They need the riot act read to them as a group. Stand up and lead you bludgers!

But long may they wallow in shitness. If I can't have a Richmond win, I'll take a Carlton loss as consolation.

All the talk recently has been how Carlton can't bring players through. They argue because Walsh and Weitering have worked that shows they can.

To me No. 1 draft picks aren't a good indication of your development as they should be good in most scenarios.

Their lack of development of other top 25 draft picks has led to them going down the path of recruiting so many players from other clubs leading them to the scenario that you describe.

They are like a crappy version of Melbourne. Both clubs are swamped with top draft picks but neither can really make it work. Melbourne may have turned the corner this year but Carlton are a long way off despite having so many top draft picks.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
the dogs had a poor game and many players were down but expect them to bounce back.

the tigers pressure game was up and that System bloke was great - stepped up in dusty's absence.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
That stupid column will generally have 9 likes and 9 dislikes every round; basically one for every game. His dislike for our game was the form of Johannisen and his like was er, um, nothing!! Didn't even rate a mention.

He really is pretty salty on us. You would think the way he lambasted Lynch last week that he would have the grace to mention that he played well this week but no.........
You used the word grace to describe something blobbo would do :rotfl2:rotfl2