Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Still, St Kilda's very late response, and even then not unequivocal, would make you think this wasn't made up by Caro and there is something to what she's saying.

Caro's not stupid and she knew she'd cop it quite hard on this. I don't think she made it up and I reckon a Saints official did drop this in her lap.

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I wouldn't suggest Sam Newman is the voice of the people. he's a relic from another era. But you mustn't follow much social media if you think Caro cops more than anyone? Gary Lyon cops more abuse than almost anyone in the media. And blobbo and kermit get smashed. Look at the fun being made of kermit on here for his lack of sporting ability and nerdy persona.

Caro opens herself up to criticism with too many unsubstantiated statements. "Sources"?
Sources is fine. You may not like it, but almost every piece of investigative journalism relies on sources. Robbo does, Ro co does, Barrett does, Jake Niall does. But no one is offended by them doing it.

Also remember, it was McGuire who said he'd like to see Caro drown, not Newman. It was on MMM during a broadcast for the Big Freeze.

There's other instances too, but you're missing the original point. Caro does get treated differently. Yes every public figure gets criticised. You never appeal to 100% of the population, but look at the language used. It's different. Even on Footy Classified. Basically all the male hosts voice opinions, even some very stupid ones. But if she says something equally stupid, they all stop to challenge her. The body language, the verbal communication is aggressive. Between the blokes it's more boys at the pub style confrontation.

Reactions: 1 users

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
Still, St Kilda's very late response, and even then not unequivocal, would make you think this wasn't made up by Caro and there is something to what she's saying.

Caro's not stupid and she knew she'd cop it quite hard on this. I don't think she made it up and I reckon a Saints official did drop this in her lap.
over the last couple of years she has fallen in click bait territory ..........she has lost her journalism badge and fast became a social commentator only ..............lazy

Reactions: 1 user

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
Suspect if a bloke had questioned the Saints reaction to the players going off to be with their partners, all hell would have broken loose.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
over the last couple of years she has fallen in click bait territory ..........she has lost her journalism badge and fast became a social commentator only ..............lazy
Yeah I'm not sure. Thought she was the first to call the Jeff Brown challenge at the Pies, she also one of the first to state Buckley wouldn't coach out the year. She still has sources, maybe not as many. And catty post above makes a very valid point. Seeding the story to Caro, rather than a bloke, gets the actual issue debated, rather than a gender war.

To @The_General's point, on the same show Karen Cornes said he agreed with everything Caro said. Very little focus on him in this issue

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah I'm not sure. Thought she was the first to call the Jeff Brown challenge at the Pies, she also one of the first to state Buckley wouldn't coach out the year. She still has sources, maybe not as many. And catty post above makes a very valid point. Seeding the story to Caro, rather than a bloke, gets the actual issue debated, rather than a gender war.

To @The_General's point, on the same show Karen Cornes said he agreed with everything Caro said. Very little focus on him in this issue

Caro's still a good journo. Yeah she gets stuff wrong, who doesn't. Yes she plays the click bait game on Footy Classified, all that would be discussed with the producer beforehand.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Caro's still a good journo. Yeah she gets stuff wrong, who doesn't. Yes she plays the click bait game on Footy Classified, all that would be discussed with the producer beforehand.
Not sure that is an endorsement for an argument.

Though I did think Cornes was disappointed Caro got in before him with the controversial take.

When you are arguing against a footballer wanting to spend more time with family over football you simply cannot win.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not sure that is an endorsement for an argument.

Though I did think Cornes was disappointed Caro got in before him with the controversial take.

When you are arguing against a footballer wanting to spend more time with family over football you simply cannot win.

I will amend my argument to "she's a good journo, some of the time."

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Did anyone ask him then if any of the others were dynasties? Brisbane - no dynasty, Geelong - no dynasty, Hawthorn - no dynasty.

What a chump.

Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Did anyone ask him then if any of the others were dynasties? Brisbane - no dynasty, Geelong - no dynasty, Hawthorn - no dynasty.

What a chump.
Cooney, what an idiot. I don’t think even he understands most of of the drivel that he spouts.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

What a chump.
Only dynasty I've seen was Horks 1982 - 1994 (13 years in a row in finals, 5 flags)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We're easily the worst dynasty in the history of the AFL

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users