Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

hahahahahahahahahah, i cannot believe this self important twat actually said this
So his main 3 gigs are.... The Age (Nine), Footy Classified (Nine and Eddie's Jam TV), Sportsday 3AW (Nine and Hutchinson's SEG)....
Pretty sure none of that lot will be overjoyed with his view.... especially Hutchinson who's entire business operation is dependent on clickbait.... (Obviously working as I've clicked on it!:rolleyes:)

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Amazing that Wilson had the gall to criticise Seb Ross's decision to be with his wife who had given birth to twins.

As I recall she reported that senior people at the Saints weren't happy with the situation. That's her job. Maybe she made it too personal by then commenting on it, but that's also her job.

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
As I recall she reported that senior people at the Saints weren't happy with the situation. That's her job. Maybe she made it too personal by then commenting on it, but that's also her job.

Surely her job is to report football NEWS, not speculate about what she THINKS has or hasn't happened at any football club.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Surely her job is to report football NEWS, not speculate about what she THINKS has or hasn't happened at any football club.
Caro has stated before that she’s more interested in the off field matters than on field. Which pretty much means she’s more interested in gossiping.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

No, she's a commentator as well as a journalist. She's paid to give her opinion.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Caro has stated before that she’s more interested in the off field matters than on field. Which pretty much means she’s more interested in gossiping.

Well I guess we should just stop discussing the AFL and its many off-field failings then, as we wouldn't want to be gossiping right?

There is a genuine role in discussing the politics and management of football - if that doesn't float your boat fair enough, but many of us are interested. I mean the Mick Warner book was about exactly that and we all love that it beats the AFL round the head right? Is that just gossip too?

Or do we just want to beat Caro round the head because she gets stuff about Richmond wrong sometimes?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Well I guess we should just stop discussing the AFL and its many off-field failings then, as we wouldn't want to be gossiping right?

There is a genuine role in discussing the politics and management of football - if that doesn't float your boat fair enough, but many of us are interested. I mean the Mick Warner book was about exactly that and we all love that it beats the AFL round the head right? Is that just gossip too?

Or do we just want to beat Caro round the head because she gets stuff about Richmond wrong sometimes?

Not sure why you’re conflating my comment that she likes to gossip about off field happenings to “we should stop discussing the AFL and it’s many off field failings”? Odd comment.

There sure is “a genuine role in discussing the politics and management of football “ and I’m interested in that, never said otherwise. I read MW book and made comment :

“An interesting read for sure but it is a rehash of all the topics ie Melbourne tanking, Essendon drugs, Buddy to Swans, treatment of women at AFL house. No real new developments on these topics. It is a very damning book of the AFL albeit not very objective. But it was a good read.”

She gets beat around the just as much as Robbo, Cornes, Whately, Morris, Barrett, Browne, BT et al.

But if you like off field commentary that often consists of the like “my sources tell me people at the club aren’t happy” then she’s your person, go for it.

Last edited:

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
No, she's a commentator as well as a journalist. She's paid to give her opinion.

She's not a commentator she's a speculator, a commentator comments on the game whilst the game is being played.

She doesn't do that. As has been said by others, she is a gossip columnist at best.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
She's not a commentator she's a speculator, a commentator comments on the game whilst the game is being played.

She doesn't do that. As has been said by others, she is a gossip columnist at best.

She's a commentator in the journalistic sense - a person who gives analysis and/or opinions about things.

Whether you like or don't like her style or content, she's far from a gossip columnist.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
She's a commentator in the journalistic sense - a person who gives analysis and/or opinions about things.

Whether you like or don't like her style or content, she's far from a gossip columnist.
I disagree. She hardly gives any analysis. She makes *smile* up, “my sources tell me” “ it is believed” “someone high up told me”
Opinion pieces she writes usually habe little resemblance to fact.
Shes been called out on a number of occasions. It’s that she used to be a footy journalist/writer of her own opinion. ”it is believed and my sources tell me that hardly any club especially Richmond give her the time of day”

Usually to get click bait so she can claim some relevance. Just another muckraker. She’s no better than Barratt, Cornes Brown, et al.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not sure why you’re conflating my comment that she likes to gossip about off field happenings to “we should stop discussing the AFL and it’s many off field failings”? Odd comment.

There sure is “a genuine role in discussing the politics and management of football “ and I’m interested in that, never said otherwise. I read MW book and made comment :

“An interesting read for sure but it is a rehash of all the topics ie Melbourne tanking, Essendon drugs, Buddy to Swans, treatment of women at AFL house. No real new developments on these topics. It is a very damning book of the AFL albeit not very objective. But it was a good read.”

She gets beat around the just as much as Robbo, Cornes, Whately, Morris, Barrett, Browne, BT et al.

But if you like off field commentary that often consists of the like “my sources tell me people at the club aren’t happy” then she’s your person, go for it.

Fair point Timbo. I think labelling her as a gossip columnist only is not fair, but I guess if the only time you see her is on Footy Classified or whatever the show is you could get that impression. I listen to the RealFooty podcast and she has good insights on a lot of things.

For example, you might not like her take on Dimma and the affair etc but she made a really good observation - when they were in the hub Benny Gale had to ask Dimma whether the rumours were true, Dimma never told him. That's bad. If Dimma wants to promote openness and honesty he should have declared that relationship as soon as it became serious. That kind of thing does affect culture.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I'm as big a critic of Caro as anyone but the Hardwick stuff is fair game.

Hardwick put his wife into the football world, he was the one who introduced her into press conferences and used her to deflect and
break the tension when it suited him.

You can't do that and then turn around and say stop talking about my personal life just because it doesn't work for you anymore.
Sorry TBR but that’s *smile*. Cracking a joke is chalk and cheese to the dribble Caro is saying. Ones personal life when mentioned in such a vindictive way is not fair game.

Reactions: 10 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I'm as big a critic of Caro as anyone but the Hardwick stuff is fair game.

Hardwick put his wife into the football world, he was the one who introduced her into press conferences and used her to deflect and
break the tension when it suited him.

You can't do that and then turn around and say stop talking about my personal life just because it doesn't work for you anymore.

I don't know about fair game, but I'm sure that if he didn't mention Danielle as much then, the breakup wouldn't be getting as much airtime now.

Buckley wasn't mentioning Tanya continuously during his pressers, and therefore it wasn't brought up that much beyond the announcement of their separation. And Collingwood are travelling far worse than we are.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I don't know about fair game, but I'm sure that if he didn't mention Danielle as much then, the breakup wouldn't be getting as much airtime now.

Buckley wasn't mentioning Tanya continuously during his pressers, and therefore it wasn't brought up that much beyond the announcement of their separation. And Collingwood are travelling far worse than we are.
True. Buckley's personal situation is nearly identical to Hardwick's and Collingwood are woeful only 3 years after a GF appearance. But he was coaching better than ever apparently

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
It was more than cracking a joke. He used 'Mrs Hardwick' as a shield at times when he wanted to deflect the media, like when he had a crack at the Swans or copped heat for playing Rance on the wing. It was definitely tactical and not something I've heard any other coach ever do. It was his version of Sheedy's aliens or seagulls.

If he chooses to introduce his wife into the public footy conversation, then cheats on her with a younger woman who works in the office at the club he coaches, then he can't complain when it is a story. His conduct would be shaky at best even if he had never mentioned her name in a press conference.
His affair has nothing to do with coaching a football team, nor was it with an employee under his guidance. So any questions raised against him are complete rubbish. You are also clutching at straws that he used his wife as a shield. You are giving Hardwick too much credit here. He isn’t one who comes across as being calculating and premeditated in what he will say. His media conferences are heart on sleeve stuff.

Reactions: 3 users